The Student Room Group

Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2015!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Horse273
Hey have you guys also got the change on your online submission status from 'under review' to 'interview stage'? If that means you have an interview then I don't know why I haven't got an email yet...

I checked last week and it hadn't changed - doubt it will have as I haven't been invited to take the WG yet :tongue:
Original post by elmopsk
Would be interested to know if anyone has got a TC/knows someone who has gotten one without attending any vac schemes? I'm struggling to get one and not sure if this is because I'm not their target audience exactly (not a current student - did law as a postgrad and am currently in full time work) - I don't know whether it's worth my while applying straight for TC rather than worrying about vac schemes? I have a lot of work experience including some legal. Any advice would be appreciated.

Have you tried contacting any grad recruitment teams? I always wonder why this board is the first port of call for most...

I don't know of anyone personally, but I know many instances of people who have a TC with firms other than those in which they completed vac schemes. If you believe you have plenty of experience, just go ahead and apply. There are many firms that set spaces aside for direct TC applications and furthermore, you'll see on firm websites that they use vac schemes merely as a chance for experiencing the inner workings of a city law firm. Obviously this is less true for some firms who recruit for their TCs heavily or exclusively from the vac scheme, but not all are like that.

I wouldn't recommend applying to Mischcon directly for a TC for example, and I'm not even sure that's possible anymore.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by narusku
Have you tried contacting any grad recruitment teams? I always wonder why this board is the first port of call for most...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Chances are that you can get the answer from TSR in <1 hour instead of 2-3 days or possibly more.
Reply 1603
Original post by Horse273
Hey have you guys also got the change on your online submission status from 'under review' to 'interview stage'? If that means you have an interview then I don't know why I haven't got an email yet...

Hey, I am the same. Mine changed to interview stage on the 9 Jan and I still haven't got an email about it yet. But I did email Links and they replied by saying that they are still in the process of reviewing other peoples applications and arranging groups for the AC...
Any one heard from Mishcon either way post video interview?
Irwin Mirchell video interview invite...I would appreciate any help as I have never done a video interview.
Original post by appletree111
Irwin Mirchell video interview invite...I would appreciate any help as I have never done a video interview.

congrats :smile: do you mind if I ask which office you applied to, which stream and when? Thank you
Original post by TrainingChopeful
congrats :smile: do you mind if I ask which office you applied to, which stream and when? Thank you

I applied to business stream in London; end of December. Best of luck!
Reply 1608
Original post by DonnieCA
Any one heard from Mishcon either way post video interview?

Still waiting as well!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pp93
Still waiting as well!

Posted from TSR Mobile

When did you submit yours? I only submitted mine on Friday but i'm just too impatient! Any idea of when they may have their assessment day? Best of luck!
Original post by appletree111
I applied to business stream in London; end of December. Best of luck!

Thanks! Good luck for the video interview
Original post by narusku

I don't know of anyone personally, but I know many instances of people who have a TC with firms other than those in which they completed vac schemes. If you believe you have plenty of experience, just go ahead and apply. There are many firms that set spaces aside for direct TC applications and furthermore, you'll see on firm websites that they use vac schemes merely as a chance for experiencing the inner workings of a city law firm. Obviously this is less true for some firms who recruit for their TCs heavily or exclusively from the vac scheme, but not all are like that.

I wouldn't recommend applying to Mischcon directly for a TC for example, and I'm not even sure that's possible anymore.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have contacted quite a few, most of whom did not get back to me till a follow up phone call which was still fairly unhelpful! The majority say 'apply' but ultimately it seems that trainee recruitment material is tilted heavily in the direction of undergraduates which can be quite disheartening if you're in my position!

Some firms as you say recruit heavily from their VS so I am applying for them, but again I think I'm not their target for recruitment which makes doing apps just so much of a slog.

My work experience is for the most part industry experience in the areas of law I'm interested in - trying to fill that elusive 'commercial awareness' requirement (!!) so a VS would be really useful. I guess the thing to take away is so much of this process is not just hard work but luck as well. Thanks for your reply!
Original post by J-SP
I've recruited plenty. Especially if you have lots of work experience and some in the legal sector, there is nothing wrong with applying directly for a TC.

Have you tried applying to open days/workshops as an alternative? Are you applying to programmes you are definitely eligible for?

The only time I would see it being an issue is if you are not eligible for the programme (ie if it's only for penultimate year students).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for your reply. I am making sure I am eligible for the VS on offer, though its tempting to apply for those who say certain ones are 'primarily' for undergrads as opposed to 'solely', particularly as I missed the deadlines for winter/easter VS which are aimed at grads because of a big project at work at the end of 2014 which meant I simply didn't have the time to do them properly.

It's reassuring to know that people do get TC without VS - may I ask who you recruit for?
Original post by zenstars
Congratulations! Went for their AC on Wednesday. So nervous waiting for their response.

I interviewed Tuesday and still nothing!
Reply 1614
Original post by DonnieCA
When did you submit yours? I only submitted mine on Friday but i'm just too impatient! Any idea of when they may have their assessment day? Best of luck!

I sent mine way back in December so I'm not expecting anything good if they have taken this long!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Describe a goal you have set yourself and how you reached it?

​Is it better to use a personal goal rather than an academic one? or does it really matter? x
So regarding Cleary, I believe those of us selected should hear back this week latest. My understanding is that they run two ACs. One in mid-January and one in early February. So I'm assuming if we do not hear back by Friday, assume a PFO.
I've just heard back from Irwin Mitchell and have been told I have a video interview - never heard of IM video interviewing and I can't see anywhere any info about what to expect! Scary!
Original post by ScroogeHumbug
So regarding Cleary, I believe those of us selected should hear back this week latest. My understanding is that they run two ACs. One in mid-January and one in early February. So I'm assuming if we do not hear back by Friday, assume a PFO.

Do you know if we will hear back via letter/email/telephone?
Does anyone know anything about IM video interviews?? I just got an email about one but all it asks is to download an app, and you can do it at any time which makes me think I won't actually be speaking to a real person?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending