The Student Room Group

Self-teaching Chemistry A-level (as a private candidate)?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bectabex
I just finished edexcel biology and am sitting OCR chemistry now for graduate medicine requirements, self taught both - pm me if you want any info

Hi, I was just wondering how you did your coursework/controlled assessments?
Reply 21
You need to travel for Chemistry, because over 20% of your AS, 10% of your GCSE, is practical, regardless of board. You'll also need to spend £400 - £900 to do it, unless you have it all down already and just want to get it all done at a school for one day.

I probably can only comment after I know what grade I have, but it seems with Chemistry it either clicks or it doesn't. It's pretty inane in that it's more about remembering all the little facts, of which there are hundreds, moreso than other subjects. For example, you may be asked what creates a certain colour when reacting with a certain something else; there's no way of working it out, you either remember the answer or you don't, and the marks are stingy because of this lack of method.

In hindsight, I might've chosen a different subject, but who knows maybe I'll get a B.

Apparently Biology is tough, maybe tougher. So of the 3 it might be Physics that's easiest. I might just not be remember, but at least in the learning there's no BS with Physics. It's part Maths, part learning about the world. The exams and mark schemes are probably BS though, right?

Also, you see your GCSE grades?

*Throws them into a fire*

YOUR GCSES AIN'T NOTHIN'. DO YOU THINK THIS IS A MOTHER****ING GAME?

Edit: Never mind, someone bumped this old thread. I'll leave the answer for anyone else who has the same question.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Magzter
I'm home studying biology, physics, chemistry and maths. I got AAAB in January with 1 mark away from am A in maths but I think I caught up in the May exams. You don't need to pay for distance learning courses they seem like a total waste of money as there are so many amazing resources online for free. The distance learning courses don't even set you up with exam centres so you'll still be completely on your own to organise them.

If you have money there's 3ATutors in Bristol that do practicals at £300 a pop, I know a place where you can do it for £100 so pm me if you want that info. As for the whole learning process here are some amazing resources (AQA focussed):

Chemguide.co.uk
http://www.amazon.co.uk/AQA-Chemistry-AS-Students-Book/dp/074878280X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369127084&sr=8-1&keywords=aqa+as+chemistry
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1288539
http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/science/a-level/chemistry-2420/past-papers-and-mark-schemes
http://www.freeexampapers.com/

All you need to actually buy is the book and there's enough info here to get you 100% if you pay close enough attention to the syllabus and mark schemes.

Hi. I want to do my chemistry a level as a private/external candidate after I have finished college. Could you please PM me that place that does the chemistry practicals for £100? Thank you! I would really appreciate it!
Hi

I'm currently trying to work out where to take the practicals for a home study Chemistry A Level. I have already spoken to 3A in Bristol but would be very interested if you have other suggestions especially the £100 option! I studied Chemistry to GCSE (combined Sciences) and would be very interested on any advice you can give on how best to approach home study whilst hopefully minimising costs.
Hi. I'm currently trying to work out where to take the practicals for a home study Chemistry A Level. I have already spoken to 3A in Bristol but would be very interested if you have other suggestions especially the £100 option! I studied Chemistry to GCSE (combined Sciences) and would be very interested on any advice you can give on how best to approach home study whilst hopefully minimising costs.
Original post by Magzter
I'm home studying biology, physics, chemistry and maths. I got AAAB in January with 1 mark away from am A in maths but I think I caught up in the May exams. You don't need to pay for distance learning courses they seem like a total waste of money as there are so many amazing resources online for free. The distance learning courses don't even set you up with exam centres so you'll still be completely on your own to organise them.

If you have money there's 3ATutors in Bristol that do practicals at £300 a pop, I know a place where you can do it for £100 so pm me if you want that info. As for the whole learning process here are some amazing resources (AQA focussed):

Chemguide.co.uk
http://www.amazon.co.uk/AQA-Chemistry-AS-Students-Book/dp/074878280X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369127084&sr=8-1&keywords=aqa+as+chemistry
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1288539
http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/science/a-level/chemistry-2420/past-papers-and-mark-schemes
http://www.freeexampapers.com/

All you need to actually buy is the book and there's enough info here to get you 100% if you pay close enough attention to the syllabus and mark schemes.

What resources did you use to study Maths A level privately I'm currently considering that as an option.
Reply 26
Here's a list:

Official books plus official revision books.
Cambridge series books (way more in depth than the official books)
Past Papers (freeexampapers.com has a better archive than the official board sites.)
Youtube channels such as examsolutions, mathsdoctor and jackbrown (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCgGyPD6MYQcHuMIc-Kv-Uw - really awesome channel for AQA)

Maths is probably the hardest subject to do without a teacher to help you. Expect to sink way more time into it than other subjects if you're doing more than one.
Original post by Magzter
Here's a list:

Official books plus official revision books.
Cambridge series books (way more in depth than the official books)
Past Papers (freeexampapers.com has a better archive than the official board sites.)
Youtube channels such as examsolutions, mathsdoctor and jackbrown (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCgGyPD6MYQcHuMIc-Kv-Uw - really awesome channel for AQA)

Maths is probably the hardest subject to do without a teacher to help you. Expect to sink way more time into it than other subjects if you're doing more than one.

Okay thanks for the information.
Hi

I'm looking for a centre to take Chemistry A Level laboratory practical sessions. I would be very grateful for any suggestions you can give me.

Many thanks
Stuart
Original post by stuartkraus
Hi

I'm looking for a centre to take Chemistry A Level laboratory practical sessions. I would be very grateful for any suggestions you can give me.

Many thanks
Stuart

Google tbh.
Original post by ozzyoscy

I probably can only comment after I know what grade I have, but it seems with Chemistry it either clicks or it doesn't. It's pretty inane in that it's more about remembering all the little facts, of which there are hundreds, moreso than other subjects.

Couldn't disagree more. If you understood it properly you wouldn't need to remember very much at all.
Original post by langlitz
Couldn't disagree more. If you understood it properly you wouldn't need to remember very much at all.

What is there to understand but not need to remember about, for example, what colour something changes to with certain substances? There's no correlation, it's just facts to remember.
What is there to understand but not need to remember about, for example, what colour something changes to with certain substances? There's no correlation, it's just facts to remember.

You generalised the entire subject as simply remembering facts which it most certainly is not. Also notice how I said almost nothing... Maybe for A levels you need to remember some random stuff, but in real chemistry most of the subject can be deduced from understanding it
You generalised the entire subject as simply remembering facts which it most certainly is not. Also notice how I said almost nothing... Maybe for A levels you need to remember some random stuff, but in real chemistry most of the subject can be deduced from understanding it

This is an A Level thread in an A Level forum.
This is an A Level thread in an A Level forum.

This is a chemistry forum... Also if you understand d-d transitions then the colours should not seem completely arbitrary

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is a chemistry forum... Also if you understand d-d transitions then the colours should not seem completely arbitrary

Posted from TSR Mobile

Still an A Level thread. There's no need to backpedal. You mistook my sentence to be regarding an entire subject, of which the more advanced part is unknown to us. You didn't consider the context of the A Level thread.

Since you disagreed with me on the assumption I was speaking of the entire subject (which would be illogical for me), then said "Maybe for A levels you need to remember some random stuff, but in real chemistry most of the subject can be deduced from understanding it", you're agreeing with me.

I think we can both be satisfied with the outcome and don't need to continue with what was a misunderstanding to score imaginary forum points by making post-conclusion saves.
Did the original poster end up successfully completing the chemistry? I'm taking chemistry, physics and mathematics as individual candidate and found a sixth form who kindly let me come in and do my practical with them. I highly recommend Stuart above calls around local sixth form centres, register his exams as external candidate through them, and does practical with them. Only takes one day and some might let you do it for free.
Reply 37
I am also trying to self-teach both Biology and Chemistry A level, but am having no luck with practical help - which sixth form did you approach? I have tried THOUSANDS and they all say because I am old (20) I am not allowed to even sit in their classes to observe - I have a DBS and still nothing...
I would be eternally grateful if you could let me know the college that allowed you to do your practical with them - or really any advice at all!
Thank you
Original post by FJB_07
I am also trying to self-teach both Biology and Chemistry A level, but am having no luck with practical help - which sixth form did you approach? I have tried THOUSANDS and they all say because I am old (20) I am not allowed to even sit in their classes to observe - I have a DBS and still nothing...
I would be eternally grateful if you could let me know the college that allowed you to do your practical with them - or really any advice at all!
Thank you

Look up the private/external candidate sections of board websites like AQA, Edexcel, OCR, they have a list or a search function of a load of colleges and schools that have indicated before they take external candidates. Then it's just a case of comparing prices.
Hi there ,
Was wondering where you sat your practical and how long it took you to do ? I'm looking to do a levels to try get into dentistry and I desperately need an A 🙏

Thanks much love
Kirsty

Quick Reply

Latest