The Student Room Group

Only people that got law firm offers from my class were:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tom_Ford
Cousin started off at a small firm in Nottingham. Old white partners were bullies and he could not do anything about that. The white colleagues all got preferential treatment and got promoted. Only way he got up was that he had achievements to his name and could therefore jump to another firm as he represented value that way. It means that it is pretty goddamn difficult for an ethnic through and that a lot of the time it seems like a lot is against you even in your own office (politics).

Glouchester crown court and the "sheikh sisters?" Have you got any links to these incidents/cases?

Come on dude you should use google. Type in sheikh sisters Gloucester and click on whatever you see. I'm using my phone.
Reply 41
Original post by Hody421
Yes, you need to be literally twice as good as non-disadvantaged people.

It saddens to see an East-African Oxford educated guy working as a paralegal for nearly 2 years after graduation...

My advice: office politics, make connections early.

White people have it so much easier it is ****ing unreal. I know people with **** grades and **** experience with top class roles. Just because they are white and the right face for the company. I even know a white girl that worked as a teagirl/general cleaner in a US corporate law firm and she got the firm's partners to sponsor her through law school and was assured of a job at the end of it. I act nice with her but in reality I have very hateful thoughts towards her.
It's the bull**** like that which means I ultimately do not want to work in such an environment. White jobs for white people. And of course a few token ethnics to make things look above board.
Reply 42
Original post by thePatron
Come on dude you should use google. Type in sheikh sisters Gloucester and click on whatever you see. I'm using my phone.

Just read up on it and not at all surprised. There have been similar incidents re police not taking other ethnic minorities seriously either. **** hole.
Reply 43
Can't be ****ed with trying to find a graduate job anymore. It's been a long time. They don't like me and after a year and a half of messing around with this bull****, I don't like them. I have the qualifications, the experience. But it's always the white and less experienced/accomplished applicant that gets the job. I am not sitting here and getting discriminated against like a **** by some old white guy that Malky Mackay is probs best mates with. Doesn't matter how good ethnics are, we are given a ceiling in white companies (not a surprise tbh, but then again, so are most working class whites so there is that). Startup it is, and I may just move to another country that will give me a better chance to succeed with it.
Yeah, and colour is the other. My cousin is a partner and he said the same. FYI, he was a partner of Eversheds. The amount of **** he had to put up with to get to where he is was far more than a white person endured. He is a one in a million though, truly exceptional talent.

A truly exceptional talent? At Eversheds? If that is true he must have been appalling at accounts, given the state of their PEP in recent years I wouldn't take partnership if you begged me.

And you've realised law firms recruit those who look and, more so, act like them. If you're EM and went to a major public school you'll be alright, but that's relatively rare.
Reply 45
Original post by Le Nombre
A truly exceptional talent? At Eversheds? If that is true he must have been appalling at accounts, given the state of their PEP in recent years I wouldn't take partnership if you begged me.

And you've realised law firms recruit those who look and, more so, act like them. If you're EM and went to a major public school you'll be alright, but that's relatively rare.

He is actually the only ethnic minority individual I know as a partner at any law firm so that is pretty exceptional given the racism. That was his former firm before he jumped ship. He works for a US firm as a partner now. He is doing alright for himself, but he is a very isolated case. He went to a private school in the north west. I went to a state. I outperformed him academically and in terms of experiences at an equivalent age.

You cannot even deny that the racism is rampant. Try being an ethnic minority and saying that his achievements are appalling. Typical white toff **** who was fed with a silver spoon :lol:.

Agreed, but that's even more damning imo. If they went to public school they'd be more likely to be just as white as anyone else in the office than a state school educated EM
He is actually the only ethnic minority individual I know as a partner at any law firm so that is pretty exceptional given the racism. That was his former firm before he jumped ship. He works for a US firm as a partner now. He is doing alright for himself, but he is a very isolated case. He went to a private school in the north west. I went to a state. I outperformed him academically and in terms of experiences at an equivalent age.

You cannot even deny that the racism is rampant. Try being an ethnic minority and saying that his achievements are appalling. Typical white toff **** who was fed with a silver spoon :lol:.

I didn't say his achievement is appalling, said 'Sheds PEP is, which us true.

I wouldn't say it's even prejudice, it's more a significant bias in favour of middle class, white, heterosexual, often privately educated boys. You're not just up against it if you're EM, but also working class, gay or, for partnership, a girl.

The public school atmosphere of many law firms is disgraceful but it won't change any tow soon as no one will make them. The only people who could change this are clients and they're just the same.
White people have it so much easier it is ****ing unreal. I know people with **** grades and **** experience with top class roles. Just because they are white and the right face for the company. I even know a white girl that worked as a teagirl/general cleaner in a US corporate law firm and she got the firm's partners to sponsor her through law school and was assured of a job at the end of it. I act nice with her but in reality I have very hateful thoughts towards her.
It's the bull**** like that which means I ultimately do not want to work in such an environment. White jobs for white people. And of course a few token ethnics to make things look above board.

What? are you serious? WTF!?!?

Ethnic minorities go through so much ****
Reply 49
I didn't say his achievement is appalling, said 'Sheds PEP is, which us true.

I wouldn't say it's even prejudice, it's more a significant bias in favour of middle class, white, heterosexual, often privately educated boys. You're not just up against it if you're EM, but also working class, gay or, for partnership, a girl.

The public school atmosphere of many law firms is disgraceful but it won't change any tow soon as no one will make them. The only people who could change this are clients and they're just the same.

Yes, I have a lot of calamity stories about how Eversheds works internally but will save that for another time.

Oh well, **** happens, wish I knew earlier but I am only 23 so it has not really ruined my life. Wasted a lot of time and money. I will make my success some other way, in another country if need be.

Quick Reply

Latest