The Student Room Group

Snobbiest group?

Scroll to see replies

Interesring side thread ref pc vs console gaming. A lot of the expense incurred by pc gamers in building their 'rig' is on fripperies - they could build it in a salvaged workstation case which have had plenty of room larve psus etc for many years... but no they want some ridiculous skin with flashy lights and 'styling'...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Redpill and BB Misc are snobby to a fascist level.
Original post by mojojojo101
Geeks.

And it's made even worse by the fact they like to go round bleating on about how inclusive and open they are. It's all *******s. 'Geek culture' is a quagmire of judgmental, rude, racist and sexist arsewipes.

I've never met a racist geek.
Original post by zippyRN
Interesring side thread ref pc vs console gaming. A lot of the expense incurred by pc gamers in building their 'rig' is on fripperies - they could build it in a salvaged workstation case which have had plenty of room larve psus etc for many years... but no they want some ridiculous skin with flashy lights and 'styling'...

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's false. The main expenses are the graphics card, CPU, memory, motherboard, PSU and SSD(s).
Original post by zippyRN

Posted from TSR Mobile

Most people I know who've built their own pc (myself included) spent as little as possible on components which don't affect the performance of the machine. Hence why my case and psu were about £20 and the gpu and processor around 4 times that (each). Bells on whistles don't make Crysis run on highest settings.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Chlorophile
Well in fairness, you've probably not even seriously looked at the exclusives available for PC. And it's not pedantic at all! What's free about a game you have to pay a subscription for?! That's just as mad as claiming WoW is free because you get free gameplay for the subscription... it makes no sense. For that fee, you could get so much better value for money in Steam. With a much better gameplay experience.

That is true. Are they better than the PS exclusives? The very fact I haven't heard of any suggest they're not.

It is pedantic because in your example you're only paying for WoW, with PS Online you can download various free games optionally if you're subscribed to the Online service. The issue is virtually linguistic. Its not exactly relevant though - it adds to the value of the subscription wether you consider yourself paying for the service or for every game. And my point was more that the games were good games.

All of this 'objectively better' stuff is still irrelevant though - why is snobbery justified by someone with a product I couldn't possibly want? How is the vegetarian lifestyle not 'objectively better' because of its positive effect on the planet, its positive effect on health and 'moral superiority'? Maybe I like my burger (in much the way I like Uncharted) such that those benefits aren unimportant - that's my choice - I shouldn't need to read these irritating comments on youtube trailers for PS/xbox games. I'm not talking about the reddit which doesn't disturb me I'm talking about those who go around shoving the fact they play on PC (usually because of how expensive their PC is - like I said no one boasts about how cheap their kit is and therefore its not relevant) in console-users face. The whole master-race thing is just bad taste. At least every example in the OP is about self-improvement of some sort.

tl;dr Not saying PC gamers are a snobby group - chill (the that generalisation wouldn't be any worse than the one the OP is making)
Defo saying anyone who calls themselves a master-race (even as a bad joke) for any reason and does it collectively clearly has some 'snobbery' in them.
Original post by RayApparently
That is true. Are they better than the PS exclusives? The very fact I haven't heard of any suggest they're not.
To say you have never heard of any is either a lie (which in the next line I can see it is) or ignorance, especially given that you have whole genres that are practically PC exclusive (MMOs and, at least real time, strategy, among others)
Almost all the Battlefield series until Bad Company
All the total War Series
WoW (which you have blatantly heard of)
Age of Empires & Age of Mythology Series
ARMA series
Fallout 1, 2 & tactics (didn't start on 3, you know)
Guild Wars series
Counter Strike: Source
The first Hitman game
The Sims series
Elder Scrolls up to Morrowind and, by the way the below list is defined, Online (even if online is crap)

I expect you to have heard of at least some of those, and if you want the more extensive, but still far from complete list, here ya go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PC_exclusive_games

All of this 'objectively better' stuff is still irrelevant though - why is snobbery justified by someone with a product I couldn't possibly want? How is the vegetarian lifestyle not 'objectively better' because of its positive effect on the planet, its positive effect on health and 'moral superiority'?

because they aren't exactly objective truths

Maybe I like my burger (in much the way I like Uncharted) such that those benefits aren unimportant - that's my choice - I shouldn't need to read these irritating comments on youtube trailers for PS/xbox games. I'm not talking about the reddit which doesn't disturb me I'm talking about those who go around shoving the fact they play on PC (usually because of how expensive their PC is - like I said no one boasts about how cheap their kit is and therefore its not relevant) in console-users face.

Not boasting about having a massively expensive computer and not boasting about being a PC gamer aren't the same thing

The whole master-race thing is just bad taste. At least every example in the OP is about self-improvement of some sort.

Questionable, I would say.
If they tick any two of the following three options, then they win for me:
vegan,
feminist,
Mac-users.
Feminists obviously
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
What's with all the hate on vegetarians? We're not that bad

I guess guys don't like girls who won't suck a bit of meat

[scroll]:colone:[/scroll]
Original post by Schrödingers Cat
I guess guys don't like girls who won't suck a bit of meat

[scroll]:colone:[/scroll]

I accept sucking meat though :frown: Just not putting it in my digestive system
Chelsea Fans :rofl:
Original post by Jammy Duel
To say you have never heard of any is either a lie (which in the next line I can see it is) or ignorance, especially given that you have whole genres that are practically PC exclusive (MMOs and, at least real time, strategy, among others)
Almost all the Battlefield series until Bad Company
All the total War Series
WoW (which you have blatantly heard of)
Age of Empires & Age of Mythology Series
ARMA series
Fallout 1, 2 & tactics (didn't start on 3, you know)
Guild Wars series
Counter Strike: Source
The first Hitman game
The Sims series
Elder Scrolls up to Morrowind and, by the way the below list is defined, Online (even if online is crap)

I expect you to have heard of at least some of those, and if you want the more extensive, but still far from complete list, here ya go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PC_exclusive_games

Calm youself, I mean exclusives better than the PS ones I had previously mentioned. I certainly wouldn't by a PC for any of those listed....

Which is still irrelevant to the question of wether a group of people who call themselves the 'master-race' are 'snobby' on par with people who go to the gym.

because they aren't exactly objective truths

PC > Console is not an objective truth its a matter of opinion.

Also wether it is or not doesn't justify snobbery. At least a boastful vegetarian can genuinely claim a moral high ground etc.

Not boasting about having a massively expensive computer and not boasting about being a PC gamer aren't the same thing

Similar to how being a PC gamer is fine, but banging on about the 'master-race' isn't.

Questionable, I would say.
\

Feel free to question.
Original post by RFowler
Out of that list I would have to pick vegetarians and vegans.

Obviously that is a massive generalisation, and most vegetarians and vegans are decent people. But you do get quite a few who seem to view meat eaters as inferior human beings for eating meat.

OY!

Thats your environmentalist guilt talking :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by RayApparently
x

Few PC gamers buy or play CoD. PC gaming is cheaper in general because there is such a vast amount of games available that would never be on a console and these are the sorts of games that are really cheap like Gary's Mod.
Original post by Loafing.Charizard
Chelsea Fans :rofl:

Man U and Liverpool fans are far worse always going on about their history and in Liverpool's case most of them weren't around to witness it.
Original post by KingGoonIan
Man U and Liverpool fans are far worse always going on about their history and in Liverpool's case most of them weren't around to witness it.

Chelsea fans are worse. And history has to be spoken at some point >_>
Original post by Imperion
history has to be spoken at some point >_>

Why?

Chelsea fans are not worse
Original post by KingGoonIan
Why?

Chelsea fans are not worse

haha, when arguments arise of which is the better team, Chelsea fans would tend to press on current league standings while they can be right CURRENTLY, they aren't right overall. That's where club history comes in. :smile: What makes them worse, hmm, arrogance. I have nothing else to back me up so I can't really validate my point. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest