The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by beyknowles
I would never identify as being a Brit. I am English. Britain = England and Wales, GB = England, Wales and Scotland,

:confused:

Second bit is right obviously, but what's the first bit all about?
Reply 81
Original post by Wilfred Little
Don't talk ****.

You have picked the two things he is actually right about *sigh*
Original post by slg60
You have picked the two things he is actually right about *sigh*

The food is excellent.

If football isn't your thing then fine, but it's truly the world's sport.
Reply 83
The food is excellent.

The country's favourite food is Chinese stir-fry before that it was chicken tikka masala, my favourite is pizza, we don't eat British food we eat other other people's.

Tennis should be the world's sport.
Original post by slg60
The country's favourite food is Chinese stir-fry before that it was chicken tikka masala, my favourite is pizza, we don't eat British food we eat other other people's.

Like other countries don't eat junk food. Tikka Masala is Scottish ftr.

Tennis should be the world's sport.

Where was Tennis invented?
I would never identify as being a Brit. I am English. Britain = England and Wales, GB = England, Wales and Scotland,

Why would you just say this without fact-checking? Wiki is your friend:

wikipedia
There is much conflation of the terms United Kingdom, Great Britain, Britain, and England. In many ways accepted usage allows some of these to overlap, but some common usages, especially by foreigners to Britain, are incorrect...

The term Britain is widely used as a common name for the sovereign state of the United Kingdom, or UK for short. The United Kingdom includes three countries on the largest island, which can be called the island of Britain or Great Britain: these are England, Scotland and Wales...

The term Great Britain originally served to distinguish the island of Britain from the French region of Brittany (in French Grande Bretagne and Bretagne respectively)...
Reply 86
Like other countries don't eat junk food. Tikka Masala is Scottish ftr.

Where was Tennis invented?

Exactly Scottish *shivers*

France apparently, what has that to do with anything?
Original post by slg60
Exactly Scottish *shivers*

France apparently, what has that to do with anything?

No it wasn't :biggrin:

Modern Tennis, which is what you are referring to, originated in Birmingham.

The point I assume you were making is that Tennis is better and isn't British, when it is. But sidestepping that, Football is definitely the world's sport. I don't know how anyone can see it differently.

Scotland is :cool: as well.
:confused:

Second bit is right obviously, but what's the first bit all about?

Did I not explain what I meant? Brit is simply the name given to citizens of England and Wales. I personally think the culture of the both countries are too far apart for me to identify as British.

I am English. If someone asked me, 'Are you from Britain', my response would be, 'I'm from England'.
The food is excellent.

The food is excellent because it isn't your food, its from all over the world. Th only food that is remotely 'British' is fish n' chips and English breakfast and it truly is **** lol
Football is a good game to play with mates down the park, but my god its literally all you talk about.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Why would you just say this without fact-checking? Wiki is your friend:

In relation to all of this, nothing is concrete. People will have different ideas of what happened when and what means what.

In general usage, what I said is believed on a large scale. Britain, Great Britain and the United Kingdom or the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland are 'umbrella terms' if you like, so nowadays it's common for them to represent what I said

Don't take what you read online as gospel. Wikipedia can be seen to be misleading.
(edited 9 years ago)
Did I not explain what I meant? Brit is simply the name given to citizens of England and Wales. I personally think the culture of the both countries are too far apart for me to identify as British.

I am English. If someone asked me, 'Are you from Britain', my response would be, 'I'm from England'.

You didn't explain what you meant particularly well if that's what you meant.

English, Welsh, Northern Irish* and Scots are all Brits.

*I realise this is a hot potato and can go either way.

Original post by Lionheart96
Th only food that is remotely 'British' is fish n' chips

None of this is true.

None of this is true.

It is :P
Reply 93
No it wasn't :biggrin:

Modern Tennis, which is what you are referring to, originated in Birmingham.

The point I assume you were making is that Tennis is better and isn't British, when it is. But sidestepping that, Football is definitely the world's sport. I don't know how anyone can see it differently.

Scotland is :cool: as well.

I was not saying that it wasn't English, I thought that it was - however it is not apparently. I was not saying that it was not the worlds sport, I was saying that tennis should be.
Reply 94

None of this is true.

It sort of is.

None of this is true.

Nice suggestion but it's not that simple. The term 'Britain' means nothing to me
In relation to all of this, nothing is concrete...

In general usage, what I said is believed on a large scale. Britain, Great Britain and the United Kingdom or the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland are 'umbrella terms' if you like, so nowadays it's common for them to represent what I said

Don't take what you read online as gospel. Wikipedia can be seen to be misleading.

No, you're just wrong. That particular wiki article is entirely right. 'Britain' refers to the island of Britain. That includes Scotland. You can't say that 'Britain' means one thing but 'Great Britain' means something different. They're the same thing. I gave you the origin of the term 'Great Britain' to demonstrate that.

I don't even buy that many people are wrongly using the term 'Britain' to refer to England and Wales alone. I've never heard a single person make that particular mistake.

People will have different ideas of what happened when and what means what.

Well, I guess our universities had better sack all their geographers and historians, because it's all just, like, opinion, man.
Original post by slg60
It sort of is.

It's not true at all, there is more than a single British dish whether you think the cuisine is good or not.

Nice suggestion but it's not that simple. The term 'Britain' means nothing to me

You don't get to make the definition.
It's not true at all, there is more than a single British dish whether you think the cuisine is good or not.

You don't get to make the definition.

The cuisine is terrible though tbh, Your national dish is curry lol
That speaks for itself
lolllll I don't know a THING about geography, or history for the mattter, but it's cute that y'all gettin mad !!!!

Calm down unooo

I still believe Britain and GB don't exist. I am English because I was born in England !!!

Latest