The Student Room Group

CGP Revision Guides for GCSE Revision

I currently use the CGP revision guides for all my revision, I was wondering how useful these really are when it comes to covering the whole GCSE exams. Is it worth buying the class textbooks for revision or am I fine on CGP revision guides?
I would say generally for GCSE they are great and you can get an A* just based on the information they contain. However, I would look through the specifications of the subjects (they'll be on the respective exam board's website) to make sure you've covered everything and perhaps have a quick talk with your teachers:smile:
I'd say they're ok but not great since theres only one page of information sometimes it feels like they're rushing there was one time when I memorised the CGP textbook definition and when I wrote it in the exam it was wrong...so yeah nuff said.
Reply 3
Original post by FTSE420
I currently use the CGP revision guides for all my revision, I was wondering how useful these really are when it comes to covering the whole GCSE exams. Is it worth buying the class textbooks for revision or am I fine on CGP revision guides?

for GCSE they are great, you can get away with regurgitating most of it for top marks. A-level is a whole different story though haha
Reply 4
Original post by Chucklevisionary
I would say generally for GCSE they are great and you can get an A* just based on the information they contain. However, I would look through the specifications of the subjects (they'll be on the respective exam board's website) to make sure you've covered everything and perhaps have a quick talk with your teachers:smile:

Original post by Zeetingman
I'd say they're ok but not great since theres only one page of information sometimes it feels like they're rushing there was one time when I memorised the CGP textbook definition and when I wrote it in the exam it was wrong...so yeah nuff said.

Original post by ebm241
for GCSE they are great, you can get away with regurgitating most of it for top marks. A-level is a whole different story though haha

The sciences are subjects I really want to get A*'s in and therefore I need great revision, would you say I would be better off getting the textbooks so I can really capture all the detail needed to attain full marks in the long answer questions?
Original post by FTSE420
The sciences are subjects I really want to get A*'s in and therefore I need great revision, would you say I would be better off getting the textbooks so I can really capture all the detail needed to attain full marks in the long answer questions?

Tbh, what I do is read the textbook when I don't understand a lesson but I don't use it for revision. I suggest you use the other AQA Textbooks with questions. In addition most of the time I use videos to revise. The CGP textbook is basic lets say.
Reply 6
Original post by FTSE420

I guess it wouldn't hurt to get the text books if you wanted and it would put you at ease, but i was able to get straight astars with just the revision guides so it is possible.
Reply 7
Original post by ebm241
I guess it wouldn't hurt to get the text books if you wanted and it would put you at ease, but i was able to get straight astars with just the revision guides so it is possible.

Wow well done for achieving such good grades! Out of interest, did you achieve an A* in the coursework?-I am worried I will be unable to achieve A*'s in science as I only achieved mid/low As in my science coursework.

The GCSE is made up of 25% coursework and 75% exam for each science subject, so will only achieving an A make this out of my reach?
Reply 8
Original post by FTSE420
Wow well done for achieving such good grades! Out of interest, did you achieve an A* in the coursework?-I am worried I will be unable to achieve A*'s in science as I only achieved mid/low As in my science coursework.

The GCSE is made up of 25% coursework and 75% exam for each science subject, so will only achieving an A make this out of my reach?

Not at all the coursework doesn't matter that much , especially if you got an A that's great well done ! You could even get a B and a good exam performance could push that to an a star overall
Reply 9
Original post by ebm241
Not at all the coursework doesn't matter that much , especially if you got an A that's great well done ! You could even get a B and a good exam performance could push that to an a star overall

Okay thank you! I thought it would really affect my chances of getting an A*, anyway I am revising lots so I am prepared for the exams and hopefully do well in them!

Quick Reply

Latest