The Student Room Group

Civil service fast stream 2014/2015

Scroll to see replies

Any more news on applicants for the NI stream? Had my AC on the Feb 9th, still "awaiting results". I guess that means I'm amber banded, or that they're still figuring out what to with applicants post-embargo?

P.s. As a friend was coming to and leaving London on the same days as I was intending, we booked our airport trains on a 'duo ticket' to save money, as I wasn't aware they were a claimable expense. Do you think they would pay expenses for half the total of a two person ticket, if presented in conjunction with a single air fare and hotel room?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ERAYLANKESTER
Any more news on applicants for the NI stream? Had my AC on the Feb 9th, still "awaiting results". I guess that means I'm amber banded, or that they're still figuring out what to with applicants post-embargo?

Had mine on the 9th too. What group were you? I'm awaiting results as well for DAT. I was assuming I was Amber banded now.
Original post by F6053721
Had mine on the 9th too. What group were you? I'm awaiting results as well for DAT. I was assuming I was Amber banded now.

Group 1. I know some have received the big' yes', so deduced that others would have heard 'no' also. The embargo is a unique NI issue though - they are comitted to drawing up a list, but there may be no jobs to fill. If so, I can't see an NI stream next year.
Hi everyone
This might seem like an obvious question but what is the difference between managing a quality service and delivering at pace?
Original post by ProbablyNoGod
Although challenging/competitive, it is by no means impossible. Definitely worth the effort/time it takes to get through!

Ah it's be nice if it was worth the effort! I'm filling out the application form as we speak - do you know if the departments/locations I list as my preferences will have an effect on my application? I don't have any particular preferences to be entirely honest but don't want to accidentally jeopardise my application my selecting the wrong depart/location, see.
Original post by BeccaXDXD
Hi everyone
This might seem like an obvious question but what is the difference between managing a quality service and delivering at pace?

My take would be customer focus/quality of outputs vs. working under time-pressures or in periods of high demands.

If you download the civil service competency framework, there are descriptions given and examples of effective behaviour. You should be aiming for level 3.
Original post by GManTheGMan
My take would be customer focus/quality of outputs vs. working under time-pressures or in periods of high demands.

If you download the civil service competency framework, there are descriptions given and examples of effective behaviour. You should be aiming for level 3.

Thank you that really helps :smile:
Has anyone got results from northern ireland
have people from Northern Ireland been told yes or just other streams? I had my assessment day last Thursday
I had my assessment centre on Tuesday (17th Feb) with the Houses Of Parliament as my first choice and central departments as my second. I have just now (19th Feb) received a message saying that I have been unsuccessful for the Houses of Parliament option and am 'awaiting results' for Central Departments.

I take it that this means I have not done well enough to be immediately successful for either option and are thus now in the 'amber band' of limbo for the central departments scheme.

Anyone else in this situation?

Thanks,

James
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Jambo04
I had my assessment centre on Tuesday (17th Feb) with the Houses Of Parliament as my first choice and central departments as my second. I have just now (19th Feb) received a message saying that I have been unsuccessful for the Houses of Parliament option and am 'awaiting results' for Central Departments.

I take it that this means I have not done well enough to be immediately successful for either option and are thus now in the 'amber band' of limbo for the central departments scheme.

Thanks,

James

Hi James
Sorry to hear that.

Could you tell me how the you found the different tasks?

I am going next week for the HR stream and trying to prepare but finding it difficult.
Original post by Jambo04

Thanks,

James

My FSAC was back on the 12th of Jan and I received exactly this except for the Foreign Office. Heard nothing since then. I think we're amber.

(I note with some apprehension that there doesn't seem to be anyone who has been rejected for central departments yet (with the exception of people automatically unsuccessful for getting <2 in one of the competencies).)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by 123Andyboy
have people from Northern Ireland been told yes or just other streams? I had my assessment day last Thursday

Don't think anyone has heard. I certainty haven't. Normally NI pass marks are set later as there are less people attending FSAC.

Also have to bear in mind due to public sector cuts in NI there may not be any jobs (or not any in the immediate future anyway)
Original post by BeccaXDXD
Hi James
Sorry to hear that.

Could you tell me how the you found the different tasks?

I am going next week for the HR stream and trying to prepare but finding it difficult.

Hi Becca,

What day are you there next week, I'm also for HR on Monday - getting nervous.
But why would they still have a fast stream app process if they'd no intention of recruiting. I think they would have to tell us straight up. I wonder if there is anyone we could ask
Original post by stevibobs
Hi Becca,

What day are you there next week, I'm also for HR on Monday - getting nervous.

Hey

I'm there on Tuesday, really nervous too. How have you been preparing?

I don't really know what i'm doing haha
Reply 2216
Can anyone currently in the Fast Stream tell me if it's likely that you will be asked to relocate for each of your 9 month placements (I've been told it's 4 x 9 months and 2 x 6 months for Finance)? Or are you likely to remain in the same place for a couple of years? Also I was looking at the learning and development chart on the application website under the forms section and it looks like we will be involved in workshops every couple of months or so, is this correct? And are these all held in London? It would be nice to get to travel down every so often (unless I am placed there) :smile:

Thanks

Ails
Reply 2217
Has anyone applied to the the Communications service as well? The deadline for CVs and supporting statements was 12 midnight and I emailed at literally 12:00am - do you think this will be ok? Or did it need to be in by 11:59? I'll be pretty put out if its not accepted!

(In before those who recommend submitting well in advance of deadline, I am aware this is a more efficient practice but this application sprung up on me after a holiday and I work full time.)
Original post by Lauws
Has anyone applied to the the Communications service as well? The deadline for CVs and supporting statements was 12 midnight and I emailed at literally 12:00am - do you think this will be ok? Or did it need to be in by 11:59? I'll be pretty put out if its not accepted!

(In before those who recommend submitting well in advance of deadline, I am aware this is a more efficient practice but this application sprung up on me after a holiday and I work full time.)

I applied for that too! Sent in my application about a week ago though. I would have thought they would still be fine accepting it, they sent me an email the day after confirming they had received and accepted. So you shouldn't have long to wait to find out if they accepted yours despite the very slight lateness.
Reply 2219
Original post by Pandas&Penguins
I applied for that too! Sent in my application about a week ago though. I would have thought they would still be fine accepting it, they sent me an email the day after confirming they had received and accepted. So you shouldn't have long to wait to find out if they accepted yours despite the very slight lateness.

The e-mail says by 12 midnight, so that could be interpreted by and including 12:00 - I hope! I guess if it was 11:59 they'd have to specify this? This will definitely be my argument anyway!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending