The Student Room Group

A2 Biology OCR June 2015 Revision Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
The parasites live in a symbiotic relationship with the animal, if it were to take oxygen from the animal directly from the blood it would cause harm and be detrimental to the parasites survival

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 41
hi, can anyone explain how in translation, after RNA polymerase binds free RNA nucleotides on to the template strand of DNA, the mRNA strand seperates?
Reply 42
Original post by Marmite97
esp. for learning those key facts and definitions what I do is write down a definition and say it word for word in chunks of 5 words. As I say the words I 'count' them on my hand...not sure if I'm explaining it too well but thats what I've been doing to learn all of my quotes for Eng. exams too :smile:
+ drawing out 'step by step' diagrams for concepts like action potentials helps
other than that just condensing class notes and powering through past paper questions :h:

Thank you!! You mentioned condensing notes - is it easier to type them or to hand write them? I procrastinate a lot and get distracted by the presentation of my work, despite them just being notes :frown:
Reply 43
Can anyone recommend a really good OCR revision guide please
Original post by 96akhan
Thank you!! You mentioned condensing notes - is it easier to type them or to hand write them? I procrastinate a lot and get distracted by the presentation of my work, despite them just being notes :frown:

I sometimes get caught up w/presentation too, for when that happens I just start using a mini whiteboard to write lil notes on and presentation doesn't matter as your going to rub it out soon anyway, doing this works for me bcs the part that helps me is the process of writing it again and again. That said, I will switch to writing notes on the laptop when I'm tired and I am adding to my notes instead of just revising. A way to stop getting distracted.. well I haven't quite cracked that code yet but to improve time management write down what you do in the day to track what times you get distracted and by what and then minimise the distractions
Good luck! :tongue:
Reply 45
Original post by Marmite97
I sometimes get caught up w/presentation too, for when that happens I just start using a mini whiteboard to write lil notes on and presentation doesn't matter as your going to rub it out soon anyway, doing this works for me bcs the part that helps me is the process of writing it again and again. That said, I will switch to writing notes on the laptop when I'm tired and I am adding to my notes instead of just revising. A way to stop getting distracted.. well I haven't quite cracked that code yet but to improve time management write down what you do in the day to track what times you get distracted and by what and then minimise the distractions Good luck! :tongue:
Thank you so much!! That sounds like a good idea, I'll try it out. Good luck to you too! :smile:
Reply 46
Hey, im kind of new to this whole thing but can someone help me out? i need to know how atrial fibrillation will affect an ecg in terms of what you will see on the ecg with the waves and google isnt being very helpful, anything is helpful! thanks
Unit 5 will be the death of me, literally no absolutely nothing :/ there's loads of content and its so boring :frown:
Reply 48
Hey guys, Im retaking F212, F214 AND F215, Does anyone have any good revision tips? :smile: Theres so much content in these units and finding it quite difficult to remember it all :smile:
Original post by Beni24
Hey guys, Im retaking F212, F214 AND F215, Does anyone have any good revision tips? :smile: Theres so much content in these units and finding it quite difficult to remember it all :smile:

Hey I'm retaking F211, F214 and F215 EEEEEK soooo scared (as well as all 4 chemistry and physics units!!!!)

I'm just reading the textbooks at the moment and making notes and will hopefully try and learn it all in Easter but I think I should be starting sooner :frown:

How are you revising? And what did u get last year? :smile:
Original post by Beni24

Literally in the same boat! I hardly remember anything in class and end up spending time reteaching rather than revising. I feel that with note taking I end up kidding myself into believing I've learnt it :/. What I've started doing is literally reading through pages over and over again. I'll read a paragraph and try my best to write it out through memory over and over again. It's less time consuming than note making I guess. I would say past papers but you need to know everything first.

If anyone else has a more effective revision tip please reply!
Original post by Lucien2397
Literally in the same boat! I hardly remember anything in class and end up spending time reteaching rather than revising. I feel that with note taking I end up kidding myself into believing I've learnt it :/. What I've started doing is literally reading through pages over and over again. I'll read a paragraph and try my best to write it out through memory over and over again. It's less time consuming than note making I guess. I would say past papers but you need to know everything first.

If anyone else has a more effective revision tip please reply!

But that's how it is though when it comes to just memorising facts. I try saying it over and over in my head as that helps me memorise it better because I can write without even thinking at times
Hey guys. Have any of you done the ISA for biology yet? Qualitative, quantitate and evaluative? If so let me know. Appreciate it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 53
Original post by Asif_m96
Hey guys. Have any of you done the ISA for biology yet? Qualitative, quantitate and evaluative? If so let me know. Appreciate it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, I have done my first round of all 3. Got 36/40 (not moderated yet). I am hoping to get atleast 38 though when i do some more.
Wow! That's impressive. Can I ask what were they about?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 55
Original post by Asif_m96
Wow! That's impressive. Can I ask what were they about?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Qualitative was on the kidneys, just drawing them. The quantitative and evaluative were on the effects of temperature on free and immobilized enzymes
Oh ok mines on behaviour... Damn

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jjblok
Yes, I have done my first round of all 3. Got 36/40 (not moderated yet). I am hoping to get atleast 38 though when i do some more.

I've done mine

I did the kidney drawing
temperature affecting immobilised enzymes
and I did one on animal behaviour with a chi-squared.

Not sure I'm results, but I've been told that I don't need to do anymore, so I assume they're fine, especially as my school has really high expectations for everyone.
I've done awful that the coursework this year. After 3 rounds, I think I'm on 26 and I've done:

Animal behavior and chi squared
Kidneys (did awfully on that)
Chromatography of plant pigments
https://mrsmillersblog.wordpress.com/a2-biology/

Use this site, awesome question bank :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending