The Student Room Group

Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2015!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TrainingChopeful
I want to apply for both too so what I am doing is filling out an application for a vacation scheme first (I think I read that last year about 90% of their trainees were recruited from he vac scheme) so it's worth applying for it anyway :smile: let me know how you get on - my application is just being read through by a couple of my friends before I submit

Hey, thanks for the reply! Are you going to fill in a TC application straight after? Will you have to write different answers for the VS & TC applications (not sure if they have the same Qs or not)?

Good luck with your application btw :smile: I'm trying to get mine in before the 28th deadline!
Original post by Yazooo
Hey, thanks for the reply! Are you going to fill in a TC application straight after? Will you have to write different answers for the VS & TC applications (not sure if they have the same Qs or not)?

Good luck with your application btw :smile: I'm trying to get mine in before the 28th deadline!

If we can make another application I will wait until I find out if I'm offered an interview for the scheme - if not I know I need to make my application better :smile: thanks! Good luck to you for your app too
Reply 3422
Original post by Procrastination1
I applied on the 17th Jan, and yourself?

Applied 31st deadline day
Reply 3423
Original post by liarpoker
I applied to Macfarlanes in early November, I've still not heard anything..

That's really frustrating! I'm worried they've filled up their places
Reply 3424
Original post by LawStudent30
I thought that too, but I think they generally have more PLS placements?

I applied to Sheffield PLS. It's hard to estimate with IM I think because it's separated into the two streams and they have SO many offices!

I know what you mean, and they offered so many video interviews it must take quite some time going through them all
What are my chances of being accepted for a training contract in 2017 with the same firm if I got rejected by them post-interview for a vacation scheme this time round?
Original post by IValkov
When was your interview? Didnt they say that we are going to hear in March?
Congratz

My interview was Thursday afternoon and got the offer Friday. Yeah I thought we were waiting until mid March too, so bit of a shock.
Hi,

Does anyone know what a-level grades clyde and co are looking for?
Original post by J-SP
It will really depend on how you performed in the interview. Did you get feedback?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, bottom line tended to be 'we were impressed, thought you were really talented and full of potential but [x] reasons why we had our doubts'. (I'm sitting in the post-interview PFO boat for 4 firms, 3 of which I would like to reapply to for a training contract)
Original post by xxblue
Hi,

I read somewhere that they're after AAB...but I didn't get that and I still got a vac scheme with them. As usual it depends on a variety of factors (uni/hobbies etc). I was told that A level grades are less relevant if you've finished uni already
Original post by xxblue
Hi,

Original post by hkmshire
I read somewhere that they're after AAB...but I didn't get that and I still got a vac scheme with them. As usual it depends on a variety of factors (uni/hobbies etc). I was told that A level grades are less relevant if you've finished uni already

I also know someone who was offered a TC with lower A-Levels than that (Without having done a VS) - I've been told that firms are more likely to overlook A-Levels if the rest of your application is really strong and you can demonstrate that they were almost a "blip". That is just what I've been told by some GR, it might not be for other firms though - Good luck with your application xxblue!
Has anyone else applied to TLT and mind if I PM them?
Has anyone else applied to TLT and mind if I PM them?

Have u heard from them? I applied to Manchester office about 3 weeks ago.
Original post by Jingojango
Have u heard from them? I applied to Manchester office about 3 weeks ago.

Nothing yet - I applied to London :smile:
Original post by hkmshire

Hi,

Thank you for your response, I achieved AAC for alevels, do you think its realistic for me to apply? IM currently in first year uni but just trying to read upon different law firms, as I would like to apply for a vacation scheme next year hopefully.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks again.
I also know someone who was offered a TC with lower A-Levels than that (Without having done a VS) - I've been told that firms are more likely to overlook A-Levels if the rest of your application is really strong and you can demonstrate that they were almost a "blip". That is just what I've been told by some GR, it might not be for other firms though - Good luck with your application xxblue!

Hi,

Thank you for your response, I achieved AAC for alevels, do you think its realistic for me to apply? IM currently in first year uni but just trying to read upon different law firms, as I would like to apply for a vacation scheme next year hopefully.

Original post by xxblue
Hi,

Well the person I know achieved something similar :smile: I can't remember if it was AAC or ABB. What I would say is try and do as best you can in your first year - a 2.1 or 1st would really help :smile: also any extra-curricular like class rep etc
Reply 3437
Heyy everyone. Just wondering if anybody has any experience of the Bristows video interview? Is it competency based? Thanks in advance :biggrin:
Original post by xxblue
Hi,

As TrainingChopeful said, try and get as much other stuff into your cv and get a 2:1 or first in first year. Some firms - ward hadaway in newcastle for example - do work placements (between a day and a week) throughout the year. If you do stuff like that it'll show extra commitment when you come to make VS applications next year. Also, contact graduate recruitment teams and just ask what their stance on grades is. They'll probably all tell you the same thing - "we judge an application in its entirety" - but speaking to them might start a relationship where you could speak to trainees etc. ie it'll make you stand out a bit more and will show more enthusiasm to that particular firm.
Vac scheme worry has already been replaced by training contract worry :tongue: when will this end

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending