The Student Room Group

Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2015!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mcrlawstudent
Might be a bit late now but I wouldn't hesitate to give them a quick call in HR/grad recruitment and ask them who it should be addressed to, shouldn't be a problem, I did this for a couple of applications. :smile:

Hey :smile: thank you for the reply - I tried calling but couldn't get through - from what I can see, the firm only seems to have one number listed on the website for the firm and no separate number for HR? good luck for all your applications!
Original post by mcrlawstudent
Sure, just copying something I PM'ed to another member for ease:

I honestly wouldn't worry about the case study, it was the easiest case study I did out of CC, Freshfields and A&O. I wouldn't say it required any 'commercial awareness' as such, just a general understanding of how business and commerce works, e.g. the sorts of things a business needs to think about when considering a merger for example. It wasn't anything overly specific, just general considerations. Let's say it was a merger for example, try to go over general issues like: how it would be financed, what due diligence would be needed, tax structuring, are there any disputes pending, what rights do employees have, etc. and try to relate it back to CC's departments.

Hope this helps.

Thank you! That was incredibly reassuring :smile: All the best with your vac schemes!
Original post by Sian.
Anyone heard from eversheds Manchester post telephone?

Yes, I've been invited to an interview in their office on Wednesday :s They got back to me about 3 weeks after my telephone interview.
Anyone heard anything further from Sidley Austin?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oooooh thanks, congrats!! Is this London or Manchester?
anyone got any tips for the Bird & Bird vid interview?
Original post by matic
Probs. Easter

Me too, maybe i'll see you
Original post by bibidi
A question for anybody who can help:

I've been offered two vacation schemes. One is at Easter and the other is during summer. I would (much) rather work for the firm that I'm completing the summer vacation scheme with.

If I'm offered a training contract at the end of Easter and accept, what stands in the way of me reneging on my acceptance if offered a training contract at the second firm during summer?

Not really a reply to your question but as i'm in a similar position: is it normal for a firm to offer a TC at the end of an Easter vac?
How do people prepare for these video interviews? Do you write down a script or just a few rough notes or what?
Original post by Able star
How do people prepare for these video interviews? Do you write down a script or just a few rough notes or what?

No script but what I do is think about the competencies a firm is looking for e.g. teamwork, communication, and I just note down a couple of examples from education, work experience, ECs, hobbies that I can use so if I'm asked a question and I've already used one example elsewhere I have a few other options. I normally then just bullet point key words - I try not to look at the paper but I have it by my side just to glance at if I get reallyyyyy lost for words. Also if you write key words then you're less likely to need to look at the notes as opposed to a script. I find this makes responses more natural and less stilted than if you were to write a script.

However, seeing as I didn't think my last video interview was great I may be wrong! Good luck!! :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Does anyone know the exact deadline for Slaughter & May TC application for non-law graduates? The trainee brochure said March 2015, but I simply cannot find a fixed date on the website, nor on any other law websites...
Original post by Able star

As far as I'm concerned, I did prepare a few questions that law firms usually ask, and examples for competency questions. When answering I placed my notes in front of the screen not to watch myself and to focus on the camera.
Hope this will help :wink:
Good luck!
Covington & Burling offer :smile:
Final application in...but I keep thinking, maybe I'll just do one more. Not sure it's wise to prolong the agony though!
Original post by londonlife
anyone got any tips for the Bird & Bird vid interview?

I'm also wondering what they could ask - do you reckon it's more 'why law, why B&B' or more like commercial awareness stuff?? or competency questions? really have no clue where/how to start prepping!
Reply 3895
Original post by footchemllab
Covington & Burling offer :smile:

Congrats :smile: if you don't mind me asking, I noticed that you received an offer for K&L Gates' vac scheme :smile: do you mind telling me how long they took to reply to you? I applied on the 31st and still haven't heard anything so wondering if what to deduce from that :/
Original post by kalipso708
I'm also wondering what they could ask - do you reckon it's more 'why law, why B&B' or more like commercial awareness stuff?? or competency questions? really have no clue where/how to start prepping!

It says that:

1) Practice with sample question
2) Answer Bird and Bird's question on video

Do you think it will really be one question?

EDIT: no, it says that we shall read a set of questions and then record your answers. I should really read through e-mails properly.
(edited 9 years ago)
Has anyone done this Bird & Bird video interview yet? If so, please share ! :smile:
Reply 3898
Original post by KatieRosePicknel
Anyone heard anything further from Sidley Austin?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got this email on Tuesday.

The selection process for the Sidley Austin LLP Vacation Scheme is underway. Your application is strong and is being considered. I will be in touch again shortly with a decision on your application, your patience is appreciated.
Original post by Skkkkk
I got this email on Tuesday.

The selection process for the Sidley Austin LLP Vacation Scheme is underway. Your application is strong and is being considered. I will be in touch again shortly with a decision on your application, your patience is appreciated.

Yeah I received that also, just want to hear back already!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending