The Student Room Group

Civil service fast stream 2014/2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ERAYLANKESTER
My suspicion is that the NI Fast Stream will be defunct from next year. In which case, as per usual NICS double think, they may list everyone over a certain pass mark, only to let them rot for 5 years + waiting for a post. That way they save face without actually giving anyone a job.

I fear the same
Original post by ryan_ni
I fear the same

On the other hand, if they list everyone who didn't automatically fail, in lieu of future competitions, then you will get something eventually....right?? Honest, guv!
Thank you, you too! :smile:
Original post by rlouise12
Not yet...hopefully they will start telling people by Wednesday!

Me either - the wait is incredibly nerve wracking!
Original post by Pandas&Penguins
Nothing yet for me :s-smilie:

Me either!
Successful applicants - what to do now in terns of preparing yourself for the fast stream?

Any advice on any particularly books to read, specific facts to learn, reports to read - yes I know the induction programme is great, but what can I swat up on now to put me in the best possible position when I start?

Anything economicsy especially would be helpful.

Thanks
Original post by PatristicFields
Successful applicants - what to do now in terns of preparing yourself for the fast stream?

Any advice on any particularly books to read, specific facts to learn, reports to read - yes I know the induction programme is great, but what can I swat up on now to put me in the best possible position when I start?

Anything economicsy especially would be helpful.

Thanks

I've been recommended the Politico's Guide to How to be a Civil Servant, but that's it. I'd be interested in any other suggestions!
Just been reading through the FSAC guide again and now I'm completely papping myself for my AC on Thursday!

My mum suggested making cue cards for each task and writing down which competencies will be assessed on each one, so beforehand I can refer to it to remind myself of what they're looking for. Is this something that other people have done? / Sound like a good idea?

Anyone else going on Thurs? :smile:
Reply 2448
Original post by DeelyBopper
Just been reading through the FSAC guide again and now I'm completely papping myself for my AC on Thursday!

My mum suggested making cue cards for each task and writing down which competencies will be assessed on each one, so beforehand I can refer to it to remind myself of what they're looking for. Is this something that other people have done? / Sound like a good idea?

Good idea certainly but you're not allowed to bring any external material into the fsac as far as I'm aware? Unless I've misunderstood what you mean?
Original post by Lauws
Good idea certainly but you're not allowed to bring any external material into the fsac as far as I'm aware? Unless I've misunderstood what you mean?

I don't mean in the actual tasks themselves but just to look at between them, like at lunch time (I presume there's some sort of break for lunch?)
Reply 2450
Original post by DeelyBopper

The handouts for every task on the day give very detailed explanations of what they want and the specific competencies assessed (including the interview) so it isn't so important to remember all of these in advance, especially for the written tasks. I think it is more important, from my experience, to reflect on good examples of the competencies that will be assessed in interview and how you can best present your experiences in terms of the competencies they are looking for. Best of luck!
Original post by d41k57
The handouts for every task on the day give very detailed explanations of what they want and the specific competencies assessed (including the interview) so it isn't so important to remember all of these in advance, especially for the written tasks. I think it is more important, from my experience, to reflect on good examples of the competencies that will be assessed in interview and how you can best present your experiences in terms of the competencies they are looking for. Best of luck!

Ah, lovely. Thanks for letting me know :smile:
I attended my FSAC on 9th February and was told I was successful within a week. However, I still don't have access to my FSAC report, and all I've been told is that it will be made available by "mid-April". I have to attend a FSB so would obviously would like to see the report sooner rather than later. I'm just a bit confused as to why there is a delay if they've already marked me and told me that I'm successful. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm on the DaT stream.
Original post by jealsrealdeal
I attended my FSAC on 9th February and was told I was successful within a week. However, I still don't have access to my FSAC report, and all I've been told is that it will be made available by "mid-April". I have to attend a FSB so would obviously would like to see the report sooner rather than later. I'm just a bit confused as to why there is a delay if they've already marked me and told me that I'm successful. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm on the DaT stream.

I had a similar situation to you. I found out I passed the SR stream within 8 days in December. It then took almost 9 weeks to get my FSAC report. I'm not sure why there is such a delay, but suspect it's because they need to be written up and obviously the assessor's time is more productively spent assessing new candidates than writing the report.
Reply 2454
Anyone amber banded for both DS and GS? Not even sure how it is possible to be amber for both as GS pass must be lower than DS? Have been waiting since FSAC mid January to know if I'm on to FSB for DS or if it's a pass on GS but fail DS or fail both! Totally fed up/stressed with all this waiting. Any info be very much appreciated. Thanks all.
Original post by tea4me
Anyone amber banded for both DS and GS? Not even sure how it is possible to be amber for both as GS pass must be lower than DS? Have been waiting since FSAC mid January to know if I'm on to FSB for DS or if it's a pass on GS but fail DS or fail both! Totally fed up/stressed with all this waiting. Any info be very much appreciated. Thanks all.

Sorry to hear that. I passed central departments but am still waiting to hear about DS. I messaged them and they said they will tell me about DS next week so I assume that applies to everyone, so hopefully at least you will hear about that then!
I guess the fact you are still waiting to hear from GS implies there is an intersect between the Amber band for GS and DS. Probably means you are on the high end of the Amber band for GS! :smile:
Reply 2456
Original post by tea4me

I'm amber for DS - I think someone mentioned there will be an update on DS next week. It would make sense as the FSBs are scheduled for late March/early April. So hopefully you'll find out positive news for both next week.
Original post by frankers1088
I had a similar situation to you. I found out I passed the SR stream within 8 days in December. It then took almost 9 weeks to get my FSAC report. I'm not sure why there is such a delay, but suspect it's because they need to be written up and obviously the assessor's time is more productively spent assessing new candidates than writing the report.

Thanks for your reply! Did you get a new notification email/text message to let you know that it was now ready, or did you have to keep checking back?
Original post by PJ07
I'm amber for DS - I think someone mentioned there will be an update on DS next week. It would make sense as the FSBs are scheduled for late March/early April. So hopefully you'll find out positive news for both next week.

I've also passed CD but am amber for Parliament. Hopefully they release results for DS and Parliament at the same time next week.
Reply 2459
Original post by Charlie86520
Sorry to hear that. I passed central departments but am still waiting to hear about DS. I messaged them and they said they will tell me about DS next week so I assume that applies to everyone, so hopefully at least you will hear about that then!
I guess the fact you are still waiting to hear from GS implies there is an intersect between the Amber band for GS and DS. Probably means you are on the high end of the Amber band for GS! :smile:

Thanks - good to hear something positive...can only hope your guess is correct! Will carry on waiting then...and congrats on your CD pass

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending