The Student Room Group

Top 5 Northen Universities?

What, in your opinion, are the top 5 Northern universities? From 1, to 5.

Scroll to see replies

1. Durham
(Big gap)
2. Manchester
(Small gap)
3. Lancaster
4. Liverpool
5. Newcastle
Reply 2
Original post by Thahleel
1. Durham
(Big gap)
2. Manchester
(Small gap)
3. Lancaster
4. Liverpool
5. Newcastle

Lancaster and Liverpool above York and Leeds?
tbf apart from the pretentious durham...there are none worth singling out to put into a top 5.....
Original post by benpringle
Lancaster and Liverpool above York and Leeds?

I assumed that the OP meant north as in true north. I wouldn't class Yorkshire as northern.
1. Durham
2. Manchester
3. York
4. Leeds
5. Newcastle
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
I assumed that the OP meant north as in true north. I wouldn't class Yorkshire as northern.

I am the OP. York is most definitely in the North! :tongue:
I am the OP. York is most definitely in the North! :tongue:

Doesn't change anything tbh, York and Leeds are both overrated and IMO not too different from Lancaster and Newcastle
Reply 8
Doesn't change anything tbh, York and Leeds are both overrated and IMO not too different from Lancaster and Newcastle

Tbh, finding it a little hard to take you as credible after saying that York is not in the North...

Why are they overrated? I originally said Lancaster and Liverpool, not Lancaster and Newcastle. I think you'll find that there's a considerable gap, the size of which is debatable, between universities like York and Leeds (and Newcastle too, to some extent) when compared to Lancaster and Liverpool.

Are you sure York is overrated? They once beat Oxford to 2nd place in The Guardian League Table and it is one of the best universities that exist that was founded after 1960.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Raymat
Are you sure York is overrated. They once beat Oxford to 2nd place in The Guardian League Table and it is one of the best universities that exist that was founded after 1960.

It isn't overrated, I don't think. It deserves the reputation that it's built, especially for such a new university. Solid top 15, perhaps even 10.
Original post by Raymat
Are you sure York is overrated. They once beat Oxford to 2nd place in The Guardian League Table and it is one of the best universities that exist that was founded after 1960.

Oooh league tables, such believable
Tbh, finding it a little hard to take you as credible after saying that York is not in the North...

Why are they overrated? I originally said Lancaster and Liverpool, not Lancaster and Newcastle. I think you'll find that there's a considerable gap, the size of which is debatable, between universities like York and Leeds (and Newcastle too, to some extent) when compared to Lancaster and Liverpool.

I don't consider Yorkshire as the north of England, just how I don't consider Oxfordshire as the south of England.

I know you said Lancaster and Liverpool but I thought that Newcastle was comparable to Leeds and not Liverpool.

You need to stop using league tables, they're just full of crap.
Reply 13
I don't consider Yorkshire as the north of England, just how I don't consider Oxfordshire as the south of England.

I know you said Lancaster and Liverpool but I thought that Newcastle was comparable to Leeds and not Liverpool.

You need to stop using league tables, they're just full of crap.

It isn't a matter of consideration, frankly. York is in the north of England and any attempt to say otherwise is, in the least offensive way possible, plain wrong.

I would agree, Newcastle is comparable to Leeds.

If you look at anything I've said to you then you'll find no mention or reference to league tables at all. How can I stop using something that I didn't start to use?
Reply 14
Original post by Raymat

I could make a more credible league table than The Guardian.

Herriot Watt 1st for Chemistry as an example. I have a higher chance of shagging Cheryl Cole than Herriot Watt ever being the best uni for Chemistry.
Original post by vela1
I could make a more credible league table than The Guardian.

Herriot Watt 1st for Chemistry as an example. I have a higher chance of shagging Cheryl Cole than Herriot Watt ever being the best uni for Chemistry.

LOL WTH :eek:?! Is the The Guardian League Table just there to fool working class sixth formers in choosing less reputable universities because one thing for sure is that middle class sixth formers will never fall for that.
Reply 16
Original post by Raymat
LOL WTH :eek:?! Is the The Guardian League Table just there to fool working class sixth formers in choosing less reputable universities because one thing for sure is that middle class sixth formers will never fall for that.

We're not all brainless, us working-class folk.
It isn't a matter of consideration, frankly. York is in the north of England and any attempt to say otherwise is, in the least offensive way possible, plain wrong.

I would agree, Newcastle is comparable to Leeds.

If you look at anything I've said to you then you'll find no mention or reference to league tables at all. How can I stop using something that I didn't start to use?

Whatever, I don't think it's northern, it's 100 miles away from Hadrian's wall, which is as north as it gets, 100 miles in a 350 mile country is not north IMO. I can imagine most the people there think they're north anyway LOL

The way you put it, it seemed as though you were using league tables so I assumed you were. Assumptions need to be made sometimes.

Yet you class liverpool as being northern despite it being further south than liverpool?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by frances98
Yet you class liverpool as being northern despite it being further south than liverpool?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes. This country isn't a square block, if you strech it out into a squareish shape, you'll find York further down.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending