The Student Room Group

Advice - no offers so far...what are the choices if i do not get any

Currently I have not received any offers at all for University. I am starting to get really worried.

I applied for mostly finance with the exception of Oxford (E&M - messed up the exam). Other Unis are St Andrews, Edinburgh, Durham and LSE.

My Predicted grades are 4A*s in Maths, FM. Chemistry and Physics at A level.
GCSE's 5 @ grade 9, 4 @ grade 8 and 2 @ grade 7.

If i don't get any offers, is my only choice clearing?

Thanks very much
Original post by capre
Currently I have not received any offers at all for University. I am starting to get really worried.

I applied for mostly finance with the exception of Oxford (E&M - messed up the exam). Other Unis are St Andrews, Edinburgh, Durham and LSE.

Thanks very much

No, you can also do a gap year.
Reply 2
Original post by capre

Thanks very much

you can always do a degree apprenticeship which is what i plan to do.
Reply 3
Original post by InnateImpunity
No, you can also do a gap year.

That's true, although not sure what i would do?
Reply 4
Original post by jake102:)
you can always do a degree apprenticeship which is what i plan to do.

yes someone close to me suggested that, ill have to look if i am too late to apply.
Reply 5
Original post by capre
yes someone close to me suggested that, ill have to look if i am too late to apply.

not at all, most companies are starting to/open right now
Original post by capre

UCAS Extra opens at the end of Feb until early July. If you have received all 5 decisions by then, then you can apply to courses that are still open to applications. You can only apply to one course at a time through Extra.

https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/after-you-apply/types-offer/extra-choices
Reply 7
Original post by normaw
UCAS Extra opens at the end of Feb until early July. If you have received all 5 decisions by then, then you can apply to courses that are still open to applications. You can only apply to one course at a time through Extra.

https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/after-you-apply/types-offer/extra-choices

Thats great thank you.
Original post by capre
Thats great thank you.

Getting 5 rejections happens quite often to students who gamble on top universities and yours are all all difficult to get into. Your option is to try extra and if nothing happens to use clearing or take a gap year and reapply.

Be aware applying to over subscribed universities next year could lead to the same situation. The top universities also dont enter clearing or extra so you will have restricted options either way.

To avoid ending up with nothing we always advise students to have 1 or 2 safe choices
Reply 9
Original post by swanseajack1
Getting 5 rejections happens quite often to students who gamble on top universities and yours are all all difficult to get into. Your option is to try extra and if nothing happens to use clearing or take a gap year and reapply.

Be aware applying to over subscribed universities next year could lead to the same situation. The top universities also dont enter clearing or extra so you will have restricted options either way.

To avoid ending up with nothing we always advise students to have 1 or 2 safe choices

Thank you. I assumed that "safe choices" would be available in clearing hence I wanted to use all my choices for unis i would most like to go to?
Original post by capre
Thank you. I assumed that "safe choices" would be available in clearing hence I wanted to use all my choices for unis i would most like to go to?

That is your choice but it is very risky and does increase the likelyhood of 5 rejections. Not all courses and universities end up in clearing so that is something you might come across. The general advice takes that into account and for popular courses like say Law most of the top 20 universities wont be available.
Reply 11
Original post by swanseajack1
That is your choice but it is very risky and does increase the likelyhood of 5 rejections. Not all courses and universities end up in clearing so that is something you might come across. The general advice takes that into account and for popular courses like say Law most of the top 20 universities wont be available.

that makes sense, thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending