The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MangoFreak
Yeah there is a tiny mention of differential equations, but (at least for AQA) it's not super rigorous (because they couldn't talk about integration and differentiation directly so they were just like "here's the solution to this equation, you can sort of accept this as true if you look at this sort of useful equation"). It's pretty much just "here's an equation for charge/voltage in time, plug those numbers in and shut up".

"Turning Points in Physics". We do Thermal and Nuclear Physics + the optional module in one exam. It's pretty easy. Turning Points is pretty much what it says on the can - discovery of the electron (discharge tube, cathode rays, etc.), wave-particle duality/photoelectricity (de Broglie's wavelength, etc.) and special relativity (which is the one part that's actually cool even if I already pretty much had it down). We're supposed to know how these discoveries revolutionised physics.

I wanted to do Applied Physics (moments of inertia, better thermodynamics) or Astronomy (stars, other space stuff :tongue:).

No take it from me, astronomy sucks. I've not done half of it yet but so far it is the most dull thing I have ever learned about :L. The uncertainty on the values you work out are the size of a house!
Original post by Princepieman
Lol, the maths in AH Physics us non existant. It's mostly plug and play.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, it's a bit pointless

Yeah there is a tiny mention of differential equations, but (at least for AQA) it's not super rigorous (because they couldn't talk about integration and differentiation directly so they were just like "here's the solution to this equation, you can sort of accept this as true if you look at this sort of useful equation"). It's pretty much just "here's an equation for charge/voltage in time, plug those numbers in and shut up".

"Turning Points in Physics". We do Thermal and Nuclear Physics + the optional module in one exam. It's pretty easy. Turning Points is pretty much what it says on the can - discovery of the electron (discharge tube, cathode rays, etc.), wave-particle duality/photoelectricity (de Broglie's wavelength, etc.) and special relativity (which is the one part that's actually cool even if I already pretty much had it down). We're supposed to know how these discoveries revolutionised physics.

I wanted to do Applied Physics (moments of inertia, better thermodynamics) or Astronomy (stars, other space stuff :tongue:).

It isnt in syllabus but our teacher said to derive it ourselves (if we did maths) and it was fine, standard log integrals and such

Lol they're all ****. Medical, astronomy etc

Applied sounds good though! That's what I'd want. Ngl disappointed with Physics as an A Level, hope it gets better
So I was looking at an AQA examiners report and it seems the edexcel's are a lot more detailed than other exam boards??
Here's an example for a Unit 4 physics paper: http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Physics/2013/Exam%20materials/6PH04_01_pef_20130815.pdf

Can anyone confirm/deny???
Original post by cerlohee
So I was looking at an AQA examiners report and it seems the edexcel's are a lot more detailed than other exam boards??
Here's an example for a Unit 4 physics paper: http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Physics/2013/Exam%20materials/6PH04_01_pef_20130815.pdf

Can anyone confirm/deny???

I do agree
Original post by Bude8
Thanks guys :smile: I don't feel 18 yet because I got ID'd for a 12 last week... :rolleyes::lol:

Pub tonight :cool:

Happy Birthday! :biggrin:

I was a bit disappointed by it, I thought it would be cooler:lol:
Original post by Red Fox
I was a bit disappointed by it, I thought it would be cooler:lol:

Yup, I'm disappointed too, it looked like the sun but a bit brighter than usual... Although the ISS got a sick shot of it
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1426866204.792436.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
One of my mates got an amazing shot of the eclipse in Birmingham
Original post by Bude8
Yup, I'm disappointed too, it looked like the sun but a bit brighter than usual... Although the ISS got a sick shot of it
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1426866204.792436.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

The lucky timing of this shot is great.
Original post by _Caz_
No take it from me, astronomy sucks. I've not done half of it yet but so far it is the most dull thing I have ever learned about :L. The uncertainty on the values you work out are the size of a house!

Yeah I figured it would blow from what I've read about it.

Original post by L'Evil Fish
It isnt in syllabus but our teacher said to derive it ourselves (if we did maths) and it was fine, standard log integrals and such

Lol they're all ****. Medical, astronomy etc

Applied sounds good though! That's what I'd want. Ngl disappointed with Physics as an A Level, hope it gets better

Oh yeah the exponential equations are fine I'm just saying for those of us who aren't in love with maths :tongue:
Completely clouded over where I was, so no eclipse to be seen. We watched it on the BBC during Chemistry.

Head of Science walked in and called it the worst eclipse ever.

It was a bit crap.
I have never had a more hellish week at school and I could literally cry with happiness that it's over.
Completely clouded over where I was, so no eclipse to be seen. We watched it on the BBC during Chemistry.

Head of Science walked in and called it the worst eclipse ever.

It was a bit crap.

I don't understand people who said stuff like that... Every eclipse is the same thing, how can one be "worse than any other" is a pretty stupid thing to say, especially for a science teacher :lol:
Original post by Tibbz2
I don't understand people who said stuff like that... Every eclipse is the same thing, how can one be "worse than any other" is a pretty stupid thing to say, especially for a science teacher :lol:

Neither do I.... how an eclipse is viewed is down to where you are and the telescope/technology you've got

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tibbz2

Eclipses can be fairly different depending on the season, the weather, the inclination of the Earth (ergo, where you view it from).
Greetings y'all.
Original post by emcat
I have never had a more hellish week at school and I could literally cry with happiness that it's over.

oh no - that doesn't sound good at all! I hope next week is much better for you :smile:
Eclipses can be fairly different depending on the season, the weather, the inclination of the Earth (ergo, where you view it from).

No I mean it's an eclipse, at about 80-90% totality, literally every eclipse of 80-90% totality is going to look similar. It's not like the moon is going to become transparent and there is going to be a "bad" eclipse :tongue:

The reason most people are disappointed is either they didn't do their research and prepare, or was due to the weather
Original post by _Caz_
oh no - that doesn't sound good at all! I hope next week is much better for you :smile:

Thanks. I'm sure it will be solely based off the fact that mocks are over.

Latest