The Student Room Group

Classics at Oxford/Cambridge - best colleges?

I really want to apply to Classics at Oxford or Cambridge, but I have been struggling to choose which college to pick? Honestly, I don't mind too much and would be honoured to just get in, but as I do have a choice I would appreciate some advice about them.

I am leaning towards Oxford, however that is not completely definite right now, and I understand the differences between their courses, but I haven't encountered any major differences. At both universities I would have to do the four year course, and I have the opportunity to learn both Latin and Greek at both, which is great, but I do feel as if I am leaning towards Oxford.

If there are any classicists here, what helped you choose your college? I understand it does not really matter which college you go to, but out of curiosity why did you choose yours in particular? I've been looking at Corpus Christi, Christ Church, Brasenose, Balliol, St.John's... any advice about them? Ideally I would like a big and old college, but that's obviously not the deciding factor.

Also, which would you say provide the best accommodation, as although I have seen many of the Oxford colleges, I have no idea what they're accommodation is like. Are there colleges you would say are easier to get into? Or does the pooling system ensure everyone of the right standard gets in no matter where you apply?

Lastly, do you think that I am at a disadvantage not having studied Latin/Greek A Level? (I went to a state secondary school, so I did not have the opportunity)

Thank you! Also, I completely understand that I would just be lucky to get in, and if I do I wouldn't actually care what college, but as I have the opportunity to choose, I would like to know a bit about them.
Hi

I've moved this thread to the Oxbridge forum, as this is probably a better place to get Oxbridge specific advice.
Original post by aleeshaaa
I really want to apply to Classics at Oxford or Cambridge, but I have been struggling to choose which college to pick? Honestly, I don't mind too much and would be honoured to just get in, but as I do have a choice I would appreciate some advice about them.

I am leaning towards Oxford, however that is not completely definite right now, and I understand the differences between their courses, but I haven't encountered any major differences. At both universities I would have to do the four year course, and I have the opportunity to learn both Latin and Greek at both, which is great, but I do feel as if I am leaning towards Oxford.

If there are any classicists here, what helped you choose your college? I understand it does not really matter which college you go to, but out of curiosity why did you choose yours in particular? I've been looking at Corpus Christi, Christ Church, Brasenose, Balliol, St.John's... any advice about them? Ideally I would like a big and old college, but that's obviously not the deciding factor.

Also, which would you say provide the best accommodation, as although I have seen many of the Oxford colleges, I have no idea what they're accommodation is like. Are there colleges you would say are easier to get into? Or does the pooling system ensure everyone of the right standard gets in no matter where you apply?

Lastly, do you think that I am at a disadvantage not having studied Latin/Greek A Level? (I went to a state secondary school, so I did not have the opportunity)

Thank you! Also, I completely understand that I would just be lucky to get in, and if I do I wouldn't actually care what college, but as I have the opportunity to choose, I would like to know a bit about them.

At Cambridge, at least, it makes little difference apart from the size of college endowments generally correlates to the amount of money they are willing to splash out, i.e. John's throws money at its students. In any case, unless you're particularly financially pushed, that probably won't make much difference at undergraduate. To be honest, the only other difference turns on your preferences, namely, for accommodation, location, and so on.

I don't read Classics, but I don't see how being unable to read Latin/Greek would not be to your disadvantage, although saying that, I presume they account for the fact the average Comprehensive education doesn't provide as much.

EDIT: I seem to remember Cambridge or Oxford having somewhere on their applications to state cases in which courses weren't available, etc.
(edited 9 years ago)

Surely it doesn't matter were you apply in terms of teaching classics and who will tutor/lecture you probably won't be affected by detrimentally by your college. Furthermore even if you apply to specific colleges because of their fellows it's not guaranteed that they'll teach you. Some colleges get more applicants than others for this reason e.g. Brasenose gets more interest from applicants for classics because Lleweln Morgan is a fellow there. Basically there are other better reasons for choosing colleges that you've listed above like architecture, rooms, atmosphere etc...

Here are good places to find out about individual colleges;
Oxford
Cambridge

Its do-able and certainly not uncommon to enter classics having never studied ancient languages before but you have to do the language aptitude test for entry. I remember being told that all the grammar and basic language up to A2 for Latin OR Greek is taught in about 8 weeks (for beginners), so you won't be hugely behind. Also the statistics are in your favour classics in Oxford at least has the highest acceptance rate for any large course and the success rate for state and indecent schools are basically the same ( 40 & 43 % respectively)
(edited 9 years ago)
Hey!

Actually at Cambridge you would have to study Latin first and then can start Greek later. But at Oxford you can choose either from the beginning :smile:

Both are great courses though - the only other major difference is that everyone at Oxford is there for 4 years whereas at Cambridge those with Latin/Greek will be there for 3.

Not studying Latin/Greek will definitely not disadvantage you!

I'm a first year student at Oxford who didn't study Latin/Greek and chose to learn Greek from scratch this year. Any questions about it just let me know! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Lucilou101
Hey!

Actually at Cambridge you would have to study Latin first and then can start Greek later. But at Oxford you can choose either from the beginning :smile:

Both are great courses though - the only other major difference is that everyone at Oxford is there for 4 years whereas at Cambridge those with Latin/Greek will be there for 3.

Not studying Latin/Greek will definitely not disadvantage you!

I'm a first year student at Oxford who didn't study Latin/Greek and chose to learn Greek from scratch this year. Any questions about it just let me know! :smile:

Ah thank you! May I ask what college you attend, and what you did for A Level?
Ah thank you! May I ask what college you attend, and what you did for A Level?

I'm at University College and I studied Maths, English Lit and Classical Civilisation for A Level, and French at AS :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Lucilou101
I'm at University College and I studied Maths, English Lit and Classical Civilisation for A Level, and French at AS :smile:

That's awesome, was university college the one you chose? :smile:
That's awesome, was university college the one you chose? :smile:

I actually applied to Magdalen and then got pooled! But I love it here and it suits me better so it all worked out :smile:
Reply 9
I think I want to do similar to you, start with Greek and then learn Latin later. I also like that at Oxford everyone does the four year course.

Thank you for your advice though :smile:
I think I want to do similar to you, start with Greek and then learn Latin later. I also like that at Oxford everyone does the four year course.

Thank you for your advice though :smile:

Good luck :smile:

Any questions about the application process, course, Oxford - anything really. Just let me know!
In Oxford, Balliol and Somerville are close to the Classics faculty and have good classics tutors
Reply 12
Original post by JanetParker
In Oxford, Balliol and Somerville are close to the Classics faculty and have good classics tutors

Hi, you've replied to a rather old, some would say classical, thread and the OP hasn't been on TSR for 2 years, so I'm closing it.
(edited 6 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending