The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen

Living in Aberdeen?

Hi guys,

I really want to choose the University of Aberdeen as my firm choice, the English course catalogue is so fantastic and offers the most diverse range of courses i've seen so far.
The only thing that's putting me off a little is the fact that I live so far away (in England), and i've never actually been there before so i wouldn't really be sure what to expect. Is there anyone who lives in Aberdeen/ has lived there in the past who could tell me a little about the area itself, or the university? e.g. weather, costs, travel, nightlife or anything else that you think would be helpful, any tips about student life would also be really great :smile:

Thank you!
Hey, I live in aberdeen, not quite in uni yet though, and although I want to move away, it's quite a nice city in my opinion! The weather isn't that bad because it's right beside the sea, it's more mild than other places in Scotland! There's quite a few clubs etc that I know of, the campus does look nice, been there a few times, the library is really modern and looks really unique! Although we're kind of tucked away in a corner of Scotland, it's a pretty accessible place :smile:
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
One downside is that it's definitely not a cheap place to stay! :frown:
I'm a 3rd year up at Aberdeen originally from Bath, England.
My flatmates are doing English and they seem to be enjoying myself; I did a Controversial Classics English course last semester and it was really interesting, but lots of reading (I recommend getting your books early and second hand).
I have to say that its not a cheap place to live :P It's easy to get accommodation in your first year because they uni provides it for you, but if you want a nice place in the following years, you'll have to pay the price unfortunately.
Weather is usually good - very cold and changeable but it doesn't rain that often (plus you get snow in the winter!).
The airport is about a 20 minute drive and there is a bus that runs from the centre of the city. If you get a taxi with friends its cheaper and easier to split the cost than take the bus.
There is a bus that runs from Hillhead and the main campus to the centre of the city every 20 minutes and from there it's about a 5 minute walk to the train station.
Nightlife is all in the city centre, there are some great bars along Belmont Street including Siberia (most delicious shots in the world) and there are lots of clubs off Union Street. There's a taxi rank on Union Street and a night bus that goes to Hillhead, so you'll never be stuck.
Sorry for the information splurge, but I know how it feels coming up from so far away and you want all the information you can get your hands on :P
Just ask if there's anything else you need to know :smile:
I'm also from Bath and currently at the university; the only other thing I would add is that the weather isn't as bad as people say! The weather isn't much different from Bath but the wind can be bitterly cold.

I didn't visit Aberdeen before moving here so was pleasantly surprised at how compact the city is; you can easily walk into town from the campus (which is great as the buses are expensive!).
Reply 5
It was 21 degrees Sunday, did anyone get any pics of the locals walking around in T-shirts & shorts / kilts?
20 forecast today.

get a bike.
Reply 6
Original post by GracieIsCrazy
I'm a 3rd year up at Aberdeen originally from Bath, England.
My flatmates are doing English and they seem to be enjoying myself; I did a Controversial Classics English course last semester and it was really interesting, but lots of reading (I recommend getting your books early and second hand).
I have to say that its not a cheap place to live :P It's easy to get accommodation in your first year because they uni provides it for you, but if you want a nice place in the following years, you'll have to pay the price unfortunately.
Weather is usually good - very cold and changeable but it doesn't rain that often (plus you get snow in the winter!).
The airport is about a 20 minute drive and there is a bus that runs from the centre of the city. If you get a taxi with friends its cheaper and easier to split the cost than take the bus.
There is a bus that runs from Hillhead and the main campus to the centre of the city every 20 minutes and from there it's about a 5 minute walk to the train station.
Nightlife is all in the city centre, there are some great bars along Belmont Street including Siberia (most delicious shots in the world) and there are lots of clubs off Union Street. There's a taxi rank on Union Street and a night bus that goes to Hillhead, so you'll never be stuck.
Sorry for the information splurge, but I know how it feels coming up from so far away and you want all the information you can get your hands on :P
Just ask if there's anything else you need to know :smile:

Hi, I'm an EU student considering Aberdeen University :smile:
May I ask you how much can a shared flat cost in Aberdeen? more or less than a self-catered university hall? Because I'm quite worried about costs and I don't know how to budget...
Thank you very much
Original post by lembas
Hi, I'm an EU student considering Aberdeen University :smile:
May I ask you how much can a shared flat cost in Aberdeen? more or less than a self-catered university hall? Because I'm quite worried about costs and I don't know how to budget...
Thank you very much

If you're worrying about budgeting, then I'd go for halls so you don't have to worry about bills and stuff. The some of the halls at Hillhead (the Aberdeen University student village) are as cheap as £80 per week (I think), but the high end halls at Hillhead are around £105 per week, if I remember correctly.

As far as private accommodation goes, mine is currently about £120 per week (bills, utilities, cleaners included) but I am currently living in an Ardmuir flat, which is at the top end of quality and price for student flats in Aberdeen.

My advice: go with self-catered halls at Hillhead. Bills are included and some of the flats are dirt cheap. Also, the closest supermarket is Lidl (about 5 minutes walk away) so you wont be spending too much on groceries there.
Reply 8
If you're worrying about budgeting, then I'd go for halls so you don't have to worry about bills and stuff. The some of the halls at Hillhead (the Aberdeen University student village) are as cheap as £80 per week (I think), but the high end halls at Hillhead are around £105 per week, if I remember correctly.

As far as private accommodation goes, mine is currently about £120 per week (bills, utilities, cleaners included) but I am currently living in an Ardmuir flat, which is at the top end of quality and price for student flats in Aberdeen.

My advice: go with self-catered halls at Hillhead. Bills are included and some of the flats are dirt cheap. Also, the closest supermarket is Lidl (about 5 minutes walk away) so you wont be spending too much on groceries there.

Hi! Thank you for replying :smile:
In the first year I will surely choose a university hall (as you said, self-catered at Hillheads are really cheap!), the other three years are the problem!
On the website there is written that a private flat usually costs between 280 and 380 pounds per month, plus 44 pounds for energy bills. Is this realistic?
Original post by lembas
Hi! Thank you for replying :smile:
In the first year I will surely choose a university hall (as you said, self-catered at Hillheads are really cheap!), the other three years are the problem!
On the website there is written that a private flat usually costs between 280 and 380 pounds per month, plus 44 pounds for energy bills. Is this realistic?

I think its more towards the upper end of that scale really, depending on where you stay. I'd say on average its more around the £350 mark, and obviously bills can vary depending on how much you energy etc you use
Reply 10
I think its more towards the upper end of that scale really, depending on where you stay. I'd say on average its more around the £350 mark, and obviously bills can vary depending on how much you energy etc you use

Thank you :smile:
Hey, i was just wondering, is the bathroom in ardmuir flats is a shared bathroom? Been considering to rent a room in ardmuir or unite. Don't know which is the better one. Please help..
Hey there, I'm considering in renting the ardmuir flat but first thing first, is it shared bathroom? Are there any ensuite rooms? I can't find the information about this anywhere. Please help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending