The Student Room Group

Is chemistry A level for me?

I like chemistry and im predicted an A in chemistry Biology A*in maths and B in physics
i was going to do maths economics chemistry and biology but will i struggle as lots of people i know have got A*s in GCSE but failed A level chemisrty
Reply 1
Original post by youreanutter
I like chemistry and im predicted an A in chemistry Biology A*in maths and B in physics
i was going to do maths economics chemistry and biology but will i struggle as lots of people i know have got A*s in GCSE but failed A level chemistry

I am currently studying AS AQA Chemistry. I just want to say you have to be dedicated. Not only that but chemistry is deemed to be the hardest A level option there is out there and that is why it is recognised for the most courses such as medicine (they ask for chem and not bio)
Think very carefully about it and feel free to ask me any questions you want
Reply 2
Chem is a lot harder at alevel but if you work hard you'll be fine. I got an A at GCSE and a B at AS. I am doing edexcel chem
Original post by AyshaU
I am currently studying AS AQA Chemistry. I just want to say you have to be dedicated. Not only that but chemistry is deemed to be the hardest A level option there is out there and that is why it is recognised for the most courses such as medicine (they ask for chem and not bio)

oh is it really time consuming and is did u do AQA at GCSE
also what did u get at GCSE and what are u getting now and hows the transition?
also what else did u pick
thnks
Reply 4
i was going to do maths economics chemistry and biology but will i struggle as lots of people i know have got A*s in GCSE but failed A level chemisrty

I don't personally take any sciences, but I have a lot of friends who take sciences and they all do seem to struggle from the workload. I think it's quite a step-up from GCSE and you're expected to do lots of assignments and such, but if you feel you're good at time-management you might find that it's managable. Before taking any subject, it's important to look at:

a) if you enjoy it - probably the best reason to take a subject!
b) if it will work with your other combinations - it looks like it would work, as there'll probably be cross-overs between chemistry and biology and possibly maths, too
c) what you're thinking of doing after A-levels (university?), and what they generally require for you to get in
d) what other choices do you have?

A-levels are generally hard for everyone, and people do struggle regardless of what they take!

Honestly it is as easy or hard as you make it. I got a B at gcse and an A at the end of AS. A2 so far has been no different.
Original post by Monkey D. Luffy
Honestly it is as easy or hard as you make it. I got a B at gcse and an A at the end of AS. A2 so far has been no different.

wow thats really impressive how do you think u managed that was it hard work or ur passion for subject or something else
and what exam boards did u do
it's a whole lot of learning things, shouldn't be too bad if you've got a vague interest in it but if you haven't, it's a really hard course to do :/ just depends on how enthusiastic about doing well in Chemistry you are tbh, good luck with the choice! :smile:

I'm not really enjoying it at the moment, coming up to A2 exams, and as a result revision is proving very difficult :frown:
Original post by AyshaU

"chemistry is deemed to be the hardest A level option there is out there" hahahahahhha not its not. I've done AQA AS Chemistry and it is not deemed to be the hardest A level option out there. Further maths is deemed to be the hardest option, however I am currently studying FM and having done physics aswell. Physics is more difficult. Its really Physics > FM > chemistry
wow thats really impressive how do you think u managed that was it hard work or ur passion for subject or something else

Partly hard work but also being smart about it as well.
Knowing the content can get you a high grade, but realising that you also need to jump through the hoops the examiners want you to go through, in order to get marks will ensure you get the majority of marks for each question.
It's the little things like knowing set phrases and always mentioning certain things.
Obviously you have to know the content but exam practice and technique is far more valuable.
I do AQA btw

Oh dear this turned out to be a pretty lengthy reply.

i did the same. Hate chem and so it wasnt the passion. It was just practice
oh is it really time consuming and is did u do AQA at GCSE
also what did u get at GCSE and what are u getting now and hows the transition?
also what else did u pick
thnks

At GCSE I got an A and now I'm still at about a C/D The transition is ok but at GCSE I did edexcel which is why I think I'm having a little struggle adjusting. It is ok now though

My other A-levels are Maths, Psychology and ICT

I wasn't the one who said chemistry is the hardest. Many UCAS co-ordinators say the reason being is you have to imagine the atoms and molecules unlike in other subjectxts in which it is physically there

Quick Reply

Latest