The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Clockwork Apple
First A level (except for Spanish oral) is literally 2 weeks today.
Chemistry Paper 41 (the one worth most marks with CIE). So nervous. I need to get a bit over an A* because I got a low A at AS and CIE averages out between AS and A2 for an A*, not only A2.

Good luck :smile:. Oh wow, that's a cool system. Well it could be I mean.
Original post by keromedic

Hmm it depends
If you had a bad day (like I did) it's going to consequence for 2 years, not one. It's good for very very top students who achieve 93-4% or more
Hmm it depends
If you had a bad day (like I did) it's going to consequence for 2 years, not one. It's good for very very top students who achieve 93-4% or more

What I mean it's good as AS is generally easier so if you do well in the first year, it reduces the pressure. But then if you get a surprising A* offer, you'll have to do extremely well to get an overall 90+% average. Imagine having just 80 UMS% at AS and having to get 100 at 2nd year :eek:.
thanks btw!
What I mean it's good as AS is generally easier so if you do well in the first year, it reduces the pressure. But then if you get a surprising A* offer, you'll have to do extremely well to get an overall 90+% average. Imagine having just 80 UMS% at AS and having to get 100 at 2nd year :eek:.

Good thing is that A2 has a little more weightage so for example I got 85% in AS chemistry but at A2 I'll have to get like 92/3% UMS for an A* if you see what I mean
anybody know the 2014 sociology exam paper?
I'm constantly getting 89% raw marks in all my physics papers (which in UMS is a bit higher I believe). No matter how hard I try, always the same marks.
I'm constantly getting 89% raw marks in all my physics papers (which in UMS is a bit higher I believe). No matter how hard I try, always the same marks.

Tbf, that's not the worst situation to be in. To improve try to keep learning rather than revising. What I mean by this go slightly beyond the syllabus to gain a deeper understanding of topics and maybe look at examples of how physics relates to real life. You obviously know the theory so just going over it repeatedly won't really help. Keep leaning

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you're unhappy you can always swap grades with me :biggrin:
The mechanics/fields module in physics suddenly just became very difficult for me. I can apply formula and stuff but I don't know what the questions are asking me most of the time... Your grade is obviously very good- do you have any idea on how to understand what questions are asking you?
Is anyone taking Edexcel S3?
Original post by Undisclosed 15
Tbf, that's not the worst situation to be in. To improve try to keep learning rather than revising. What I mean by this go slightly beyond the syllabus to gain a deeper understanding of topics and maybe look at examples of how physics relates to real life. You obviously know the theory so just going over it repeatedly won't really help. Keep leaning

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the advice.
What I generally try to do is to think beyond the syllabus, especially for application questions (medicine and so on, it's a massive chunk with CIE)
Original post by _Caz_
If you're unhappy you can always swap grades with me :biggrin:
The mechanics/fields module in physics suddenly just became very difficult for me. I can apply formula and stuff but I don't know what the questions are asking me most of the time... Your grade is obviously very good- do you have any idea on how to understand what questions are asking you?

Hahaha Physics comes down to regurgitation and knowing when to apply formulae, which is the reason for why I prefer Chemistry over Physics (I like reasoning better than memorising). Do past papers but remember to go over the small things in your textbook you'd normally ignore. Past papers like asking you 'why' for the stuff you answer (or at least with CIE). In most cases, your textbook has a generic answer for those kind of questions.
So I had a meeting with a head of house and my parents today...

After getting ABB in AS I'm on for CCC...

:/
I take back what I said before. I just got an 83% in a paper (although an A in that paper was 63% so it must have been a hard paper?).
I really really dislike how the Physics mark scheme encourages regurgitation for theory-based questions!
Hahaha Physics comes down to regurgitation and knowing when to apply formulae, which is the reason for why I prefer Chemistry over Physics (I like reasoning better than memorising). Do past papers but remember to go over the small things in your textbook you'd normally ignore. Past papers like asking you 'why' for the stuff you answer (or at least with CIE). In most cases, your textbook has a generic answer for those kind of questions.

That's the biggest problem with A Level physics, it's nothing like actual physics! That's why I took all the further pure maths modules and mechanics modules I could in maths, as I knew they would be far more useful for actual physics at uni :redface:
Original post by Tibbz2
That's the biggest problem with A Level physics, it's nothing like actual physics! That's why I took all the further pure maths modules and mechanics modules I could in maths, as I knew they would be far more useful for actual physics at uni :redface:

I agree. The mechanic modules I do in FM are a lot more interesting.
The Spanish Baccalaureate's Physics (I have friends doing it) is a lot more like Mechanics.
I agree. The mechanic modules I do in FM are a lot more interesting.
The Spanish Baccalaureate's Physics (I have friends doing it) is a lot more like Mechanics.

It's a shame, if physics was actually like proper physics then I'd be learning both maths and physics at once, but instead im stuck memorizing regurgitated rubbish on radiation from gcse :frown:
Original post by Tibbz2

Yes! I find the mechanics modules in maths and further maths so much better than physics... They just outright ask you what they want you to do rather than skirting around the point to trick people into putting the wrong thing.

Thank you for your advice. I'm about to do another past paper now haha wish me luck. :smile:
Original post by _Caz_
Thank you for your advice. I'm about to do another past paper now haha wish me luck. :smile:

Good luck!

Latest