The Student Room Group

Civil service fast stream 2014/2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hyacinthgirl
I just called Parity to ask about the delay and they said it was the the FCO's end, not theirs so they couldn't say what the issue was. Also said that we should hear mid-May...

Interesting... though a bit worrying that they seem to be giving different timelines for when we might hear!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ailss
Did my Disclosure etc a while back but the status of my Security Check just changed to complete a couple of days ago! I haven't even heard what dept I'm in. Which dept will you be working in?! I have had a call from one of the managers to answer some questions etc but nothing else :frown:

I've just checked my security check too and it's completed now. Well my draft contract I recieved had hmrc stamped on it so I presumed that would be my department but perhaps I was wrong. I haven't even had my call yet. If you look on the 'incoming fast streamers 2015' FB page there's loads of people in our position so I wouldn't worry
Original post by Yagamimo
Interesting... though a bit worrying that they seem to be giving different timelines for when we might hear!

I know, classic Parity!
Original post by RyanJT12
I've just checked my security check too and it's completed now. Well my draft contract I recieved had hmrc stamped on it so I presumed that would be my department but perhaps I was wrong. I haven't even had my call yet. If you look on the 'incoming fast streamers 2015' FB page there's loads of people in our position so I wouldn't worry[/
QUOTE]

I believe it says HMRC because that is the home department for all fast streamers, so payslips etc will come from them but it doesn't necessarily bear any relation to the department you are assigned to for placements at any time during the stream
Hello GCS-ers, I had my FSB earlier today.. I thought the interview went really well- v nice assessors and all obvious questions! The role play however, I thought was disastrous! I had no idea what I was talking about! But, with hindsight there was nothing else that I could have done to prepare. I feel like I didn't approach the written exercise in the most sensible of ways either! Oh well, nothing I can do now!! Best of luck to those still waiting and fingers crossed for us all for the end of May! x
Reply 3125
Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone had a list of things we need to take to the assessment centre? I saw someone write that it was attached to an email but I haven't had this
Original post by thursdayJ
Hello GCS-ers, I had my FSB earlier today.. I thought the interview went really well- v nice assessors and all obvious questions! The role play however, I thought was disastrous! I had no idea what I was talking about! But, with hindsight there was nothing else that I could have done to prepare. I feel like I didn't approach the written exercise in the most sensible of ways either! Oh well, nothing I can do now!! Best of luck to those still waiting and fingers crossed for us all for the end of May! x

Hey, thanks for the update. Well it sounds pretty much as terrifying as I'm expecting it to be, so that's good!! Fingers crossed for you, I'm sure you did better in the role play and written exercise than you think! Can I just ask how many people you had interviewing you and as part of the role play?
Original post by Frenchie86
Hey, thanks for the update. Well it sounds pretty much as terrifying as I'm expecting it to be, so that's good!! Fingers crossed for you, I'm sure you did better in the role play and written exercise than you think! Can I just ask how many people you had interviewing you and as part of the role play?

Oh no, I didn't mean to scare you! Haha, it was actually a lot more relaxed than the FCAS so don't worry :-) Ah, thank you!! The role play was just the same set up as the leadership exercise at the FCAS, best of luck!
Original post by thursdayJ
Oh no, I didn't mean to scare you! Haha, it was actually a lot more relaxed than the FCAS so don't worry :-) Ah, thank you!! The role play was just the same set up as the leadership exercise at the FCAS, best of luck!

Well done and fingers crossed we all make it!
Reply 3129
Original post by frerejacques
probably a stupid question but where do you find out when your security clearance completes? I went onto the website and completed everything a few weeks ago but not sure how you find out how far it has progressed. I thought it would take several months but maybe I'm wrong.

I am also starting the finance scheme this September or October and have not heard anything about which department my first placement will be in. I haven't technically completed all the checks even if my security
clearance completes soon as they don't have my current employer reference yet, but I have had the initial call\email.

If you log in to the website it should say either 'processing' or 'complete' just under the submission. You might have to follow the link emailed to us in the original email. Mine took about 2 months as I had to complete even more questions as I have spent time working abroad! Desperate to hear about a place/location now! :frown:
Reply 3130
I've just checked my security check too and it's completed now. Well my draft contract I recieved had hmrc stamped on it so I presumed that would be my department but perhaps I was wrong. I haven't even had my call yet. If you look on the 'incoming fast streamers 2015' FB page there's loads of people in our position so I wouldn't worry

Yeah I think it's just that our terms/conditions are under HMRC and they technically pay us. I know I am just so eager to find out now. Moving away from Scotland will be a pretty big step! :confused:
Reply 3131
Going to be such a long month of waiting for GCS FSB results originally it was two weeks after but parity are now saying end of may :s-smilie: Goof luck guys!!!
Original post by AlFS94
Going to be such a long month of waiting for GCS FSB results originally it was two weeks after but parity are now saying end of may :s-smilie: Goof luck guys!!!

They say 'by the end of May', so two weeks after your FSB will still be before the end of May. The reason it says end of May is because that will be a couple of weeks after the last FSB date. Of course we could all get results at the same time at the end of May, but the message on the site doesn't necessarily contradict the FSB document. :smile:
Original post by Magnum Opus
They say 'by the end of May', so two weeks after your FSB will still be before the end of May. The reason it says end of May is because that will be a couple of weeks after the last FSB date. Of course we could all get results at the same time at the end of May, but the message on the site doesn't necessarily contradict the FSB document. :smile:

I've spoken to Parity who said we should all find out at the same time, which will likely be at the end of May. Jusy to clarify :-)
I guess that means they're going to be strict about how many they accept.
Original post by ailss
Yeah I think it's just that our terms/conditions are under HMRC and they technically pay us. I know I am just so eager to find out now. Moving away from Scotland will be a pretty big step! :confused:

I was under the impression that CD generalists were paid under HMRC but it was different for the Finance stream. I could be wrong though. Yeah me too, I just want to know what my plan is for after I graduate now! What region of the country did you put as your preference? The more I think about it the less I actually care about where I'll be based now!
Reply 3136
I was under the impression that CD generalists were paid under HMRC but it was different for the Finance stream. I could be wrong though. Yeah me too, I just want to know what my plan is for after I graduate now! What region of the country did you put as your preference? The more I think about it the less I actually care about where I'll be based now!

I think I put East Kilbride. I wasn't asked about specific regions I don't think? I was also told during my phonecall that I'd be employed under the HMRC. I know it feels like such a long wait, I just get a bit scared by the thought of living alone :frown:
Had my DaT FSB - absolute disaster. pretty sure I bombed it. Wishing you all the best of luck though!
Original post by JonoDrew
Had my DaT FSB - absolute disaster. pretty sure I bombed it. Wishing you all the best of luck though!

Head up, so cliche but might not have been as bad as you think! Without going into detail or anything, what was it you found particularly tough? Was it heavy on the tech focus? Have mine next week and don't really know what to expect...
Original post by Shera123
Head up, so cliche but might not have been as bad as you think! Without going into detail or anything, what was it you found particularly tough? Was it heavy on the tech focus? Have mine next week and don't really know what to expect...

Reeeally heavy on the tech focus. As you say, not going into too much detail, but the policy exercise interview I found a lot easier because the material was there. I think I struggled especially because it's so boiled down - with so many exercises at FSAC you can think "OK, I buggered that one but I can do better on the next one" - but with the FSB it's all over in two hours. Made me a lot more stressed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending