The Student Room Group

How is economics at a-level

I'm currently doing gcse economics and i would like to know how it changes at a-level. Is it harder, is it fun, is the work load alot , etc

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I do A2 Economics!

Economics is very fun when you understand it, workload isn't that much (everything links together nicely) and fairly easy. I didn't do GCSE Economics though so I cannot comment on a comparison; what topics are you doing at GCSE and I can tell you if they could appear in alevel.
Reply 2
chapter 1 : personal life cycle, making decisions, choosing to spend, choosing to save, choosing to borrow money, managing your money,

chapter 2: work , why people work, the reward for work, understanding what affects pay. understanding unemployment

chapter 3: national and global economy, understanding international trade, exchange rates, the power of the consumer, understanding work in the national and global economy.

chapter 4: managing the economy, the economy at work, economic objectives of the government, the economic growth and ethical issues. The role of the EU. The welfare state and its alternatives. Government economic policy.
Reply 3
Very fun, low workload, very easy
Original post by shwansalah
I'm currently doing gcse economics and i would like to know how it changes at a-level. Is it harder, is it fun, is the work load alot , etc

Incredibly easy. I self teach it alongside 4 other subjects :smile:
Reply 5
Good to know! I'll be taking maths, further maths and economics then, hopefully!
Reply 6
Original post by shwansalah
chapter 1 : personal life cycle, making decisions, choosing to spend, choosing to save, choosing to borrow money, managing your money,

chapter 2: work , why people work, the reward for work, understanding what affects pay. understanding unemployment

chapter 3: national and global economy, understanding international trade, exchange rates, the power of the consumer, understanding work in the national and global economy.

chapter 4: managing the economy, the economy at work, economic objectives of the government, the economic growth and ethical issues. The role of the EU. The welfare state and its alternatives. Government economic policy.

Chapters 2, 3 and 4 are definitely in alevel and quite important. Chapter 1 seems like a good precursor to understanding microeconomics. You can look at some alevel syllabuses if you want a run down of specific topics (I will link you a specification later as I'm on mobile atm)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jake4198
Incredibly easy. I self teach it alongside 4 other subjects :smile:

Just curious what you got for your A-levels?
Original post by Dylann
I do A2 Economics!

Economics is very fun when you understand it, workload isn't that much (everything links together nicely) and fairly easy. I didn't do GCSE Economics though so I cannot comment on a comparison; what topics are you doing at GCSE and I can tell you if they could appear in alevel.

I think the workload depends on the sixth form/department.
Original post by keynes24
Just curious what you got for your A-levels?

I haven't got my A level results - I'm doing AS this year and predicted AAAAB in maths, further maths, geography, economics and history respectively.
I haven't got my A level results - I'm doing AS this year and predicted AAAAB in maths, further maths, geography, economics and history respectively.

Well I wouldn't say it is easy especially if you self study and haven't got the results yet. For a student to aim for an A there is a lot of hard work involved and constant practice of papers to improve exam technique and that's difficult to learn on your own.
Am I the only one who find its challenging? It's my hardest AS level lol.

Content wise it's quite alright OP, I just mess up on the multiple choice section on part of my paper. I suggest you look at the spec and perhaps watch one or two YouTube videos to see if you like it before you make your decision :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheGreatImposter
Am I the only one who find its challenging? It's my hardest AS level lol.

Content wise it's quite alright OP, I just mess up on the multiple choice section on part of my paper. I suggest you look at the spec and perhaps watch one or two YouTube videos to see if you like it before you make your decision :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldn't say it is easy, I have seen many struggling even after constant assessment and practice. It requires a lot of time and effort for AS in terms of exam technique.
Original post by keynes24
Well I wouldn't say it is easy especially if you self study and haven't got the results yet. For a student to aim for an A there is a lot of hard work involved and constant practice of papers to improve exam technique and that's difficult to learn on your own.

It seems you're offended by my saying it's easy. Doing constant past papers is something you should be doing from day one, regardless of your subject, and how it's taught.

Economics has significantly less content to my other subjects. The boundaries are also very fair, and the data questions are relatively open-ended. In addition, 50% of macroeconomics is common sense, particularly for someone doing geography, and some who takes an active interest in geopolitical affairs.

Anyway, economics is an easy subject.
It seems you're offended by my saying it's easy. Doing constant past papers is something you should be doing from day one, regardless of your subject, and how it's taught.

Economics has significantly less content to my other subjects. The boundaries are also very fair, and the data questions are relatively open-ended. In addition, 50% of macroeconomics is common sense, particularly for someone doing geography, and some who takes an active interest in geopolitical affairs.

What other subjects do you do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not offended, I respect your opinion. I am an examiner and teacher and giving my perspective, I hope you do well. We just have different views. The geography bit and current affairs is not needed for AS or not essential but more relevant at A2 for most examination boards.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TheGreatImposter
What other subjects do you do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maths, further maths, history and geography

At a-level, it sure is. There's barely any maths! At degree level things take a whole new level though, at least in the more mathematical and less rhetorical modules.

AS economics I found WAAAAAYYYYY easier than A2 though.
Interesting and pretty easy *touches wood*
Maths, further maths, history and geography

I can see why it's your easiest subject. I do geography, chemistry and biology and it's still my hardest :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest