The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

I'm considering doing a practice run for ukcat, but not sure if it's worth the money or time commitment. Has anyone here done a test for practice and then done one for real?
Original post by somethingbeautiful
Just sorting out my UKCAT registration/booking right now - do people generally take it as early as possible (i.e. July/August)? I'm also revising for GAMSAT so it makes sense to get the UKCAT out of the way ASAP but if I take it in July that gives me 2 months prep and I'm not sure that's enough. Everyone seems to say it only requires a few weeks prep but I opened up the 600Q book and I couldn't even answer the numerical reasoning questions because my GCSE Maths was 9 years ago and I need to go back to basics and re-learn GCSE Maths before I can even answer the 600Q questions. Anyone else in this position?

I'm with you there. I didn't even do GCSE. I did my Intermediate 2 maths 2005 or 2006, so I need to go back to basics too. I'm not doing GAMSAT, so I was thinking I'll do my UKCAT in August/September to give myself some time to get up to scratch with the basics.
Is anyone else having a mini panic attack over the new VR part or am I going through this on my own... The timing is so tight :frown:
Original post by Gazoula
Is anyone else having a mini panic attack over the new VR part or am I going through this on my own... The timing is so tight :frown:

New VR part? Has it changed from last year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KirstieW
New VR part? Has it changed from last year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is what I meant - if it is similar to last years - apparently the newer version of VR questions are more frequent. ie; less "T / F / CT" and more comprehension type questions - did you take it last year and was that your experience? I am a little afraid about the comprehension type questions...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gazoula
That is what I meant - if it is similar to last years - apparently the newer version of VR questions are more frequent. ie; less "T / F / CT" and more comprehension type questions - did you take it last year and was that your experience? I am a little afraid about the comprehension type questions...

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was like that last year and I had quite a few of them the year before. I actually preferred the comprehension questions, rather than t/f/ct.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gazoula

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by ForestCat
It was like that last year and I had quite a few of them the year before. I actually preferred the comprehension questions, rather than t/f/ct.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup. Actually my UKCAT for 2015 entry had just one/two sets of T/F/CT with the rest being reading comprehension. The UKCAT I sat for 2014 entry had about 3 or 4 sets of T/F/CT with the rest being reading comprehension. I know they said they're introducing the reading comprehension style but could it be that the T/F/CT questions are being phased out completely?

A word of advice would probably be to learn to speed read but to do so effectively (actually absorbing and retaining the information).
Thanks for the advice - that is what I am trying to do but failing so far :smile: hopefully practice will make perfect :smile:
If you are struggling with the speed reading then I would recommend Tony Buzan: the speed reading book. It's a lot of pseudoscience but it did help with my speed reading and comprehension. I picked it up for around £2 I think. :smile:
Thanks again - will definitely look into it. I've even paid for the "7 Speed Reading" software (I am at that point in my revision that if you told me that doing a hand stand worked, I'd be giving that a try). So far the faster I read the less I understand and when I slow it down to understand time runs out - frustration through the roof! :smile: hopefully I'll get there though...
(I havent yet been able to simmer the sub-vocalisation many talk about)
As far as i know it's quite common that your comprehension will drop initially but stick with it, it should be well worth it come test day!
Thank you again so much - crossing everything that it does all come together :smile:
Hi - there was a mention about a study group in London for GAMSAT? I would be really interested in looking into this. Happy to set it up if that's helpful? (e.g. somewhere in central London as I live in Tooting) I think it would make it so much easier to study for it in a group - both for motivation and for bouncing ideas off other people. Any takers?
Original post by bensbrussell85
Hi - there was a mention about a study group in London for GAMSAT? I would be really interested in looking into this. Happy to set it up if that's helpful? (e.g. somewhere in central London as I live in Tooting) I think it would make it so much easier to study for it in a group - both for motivation and for bouncing ideas off other people. Any takers?

how often are you planning on doing this - I used to it at UCL but it can get quite noisy
Original post by francois
how often are you planning on doing this - I used to it at UCL but it can get quite noisy

Not sure. I was thinking perhaps a group of max 4, perhaps aiming to meet once a week until September? But it also would be sensible to play it by ear and see if it's helping or not.
Hi everyone, thought I would post on here and join in! Im based in Birmingham but am also revising for GAMSAT and UKCAT this summer and applying to Nottingham, Warwick, Newcastle, St. Georges. Wondered whether anyone thought creating a Facebook revision group (like a small group) to revise for GAMSAT would be a good idea/would be interested to share tips and stuff online?
Hi Jordan. Also planning on taking the UKCAT and GAMSAT (if i flunk the ukcat) this summer. A facebook revision group would be a great idea, as i've never sat it before and don't really know what to expect! I'm sure there are others who would be up for it as well.
I would be happy to start a revision page however I'm only going to start revision solidly if I get a poor UKCAT in July

Posted from TSR Mobile
How long are people planning to give themselves to study for the UKCAT?
I'm going to start now and I've booked for first week in July. Heard that 1-2 months is plenty and to be fair I'll quickly work through the books and run out of resources

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending