The Student Room Group

Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao 2/5

Scroll to see replies

Original post by King Leonidas
Mayweather is a very calculating boxer, he seeks to win fights by adapting his style in such a way that is often described as boring and cowardly. It's obvious that his approach to the sport is not entertaining, and it is not improving the overall quality of the entertainment factor, that's why people like you make such absurd comments. Do you really think he is going to change his style of boxing after over a decade of boxing and an unbeaten record that will soon match Marcino? Watch his earlier fights and you can see that he has not always adopted a reserved approach to his fights, quite the opposite actually. You're simply attacking Mayweather on the basis that he hides and runs away from his opponents, which is a completely ignorant view. He has established a way to win fights and make it hard for other opponents to outbox him, stop criticising this and admire it. If you want to watch good 'fighterss then I suggest you become a UFC fan because I don't think boxing is your cup of tea.

But even UFC is becoming more tactical/points based
The right reference was WWE. He should watch WWE if he seeks entertainment
Original post by King Leonidas
Mayweather is a very calculating boxer, he seeks to win fights by adapting his style in such a way that is often described as boring and cowardly. It's obvious that his approach to the sport is not entertaining, and it is not improving the overall quality of the entertainment factor, that's why people like you make such absurd comments. Do you really think he is going to change his style of boxing after over a decade of boxing and an unbeaten record that will soon match Marcino? Watch his earlier fights and you can see that he has not always adopted a reserved approach to his fights, quite the opposite actually. You're simply attacking Mayweather on the basis that he hides and runs away from his opponents, which is a completely ignorant view. He has established a way to win fights and make it hard for other opponents to outbox him, stop criticising this and admire it. If you want to watch good 'fighterss then I suggest you become a UFC fan because I don't think boxing is your cup of tea.

lol...

You're obviously a Mayweather fan. It's people like you that are killing boxing!

Again, Mayweather was only using technical points to his advantage, but it was pretty obvious that he WASN'T fighting. He wasn't there to fight. He wasn't there to show us that it was indeed going to be the "Fight of the Century"...etc, etc... in the first place. He was afraid since the Round 1 of the bout. In short, he's a coward.
He's probably a calculated boxer, yes. But he was only that because he was a big coward!
This was such a dry fight..so over-hyped. Anyone that dropped six figures for a seat at the match are probably kicking themselves right now.
Original post by MichuAtDeGeaBa
But even UFC is becoming more tactical/points based
The right reference was WWE. He should watch WWE if he seeks entertainment

All sports are entertainment, or have some entertainment value. If you haven't known that you're probably not an athlete.

My only point here is when you're a boxer, you FIGHT and don't run and hide away from your opponent almost all the time. You're a boxer, for cry'n out loud! lol
Original post by alis-volatpropriis
This was such a dry fight..so over-hyped. Anyone that dropped six figures for a seat at the match are probably kicking themselves right now.

I was actually there rooting to Mayweather. I put my money on Mayweather's pot thus I made money. But I was one of those guys who booed him when he was declared the winner. Everyone seated in my row had a clear view that Manny almost beat Mayweahter in at least 7 rounds. We can see how Mayweather was scared, and we can hear when his father scold him for being scared to fight Pacquiao. The scores were a total bull, tbh. I won when Mayweather won. I made money. But the fact remains that Manny Pacquiao was the better fighter between the two. Floyd, however, was the better runner. He was eluding Manny almost all the time. WTF!!!
All you complaining, be quiet and watch Canelo-Kirkland tomorrow night.
I still haven't seen the fight, but I have seen the highlights and even they were boring. I really do feel sorry for the non boxing fans who decided to give it a go. The advertisers conned them really with the 'fight of the century' talk. It was a case of false advertising because anyone who's seen Floyd box before knew the one thing he wouldn't let it be was a fight.
Original post by Rk2k14
Wouldn't really matter if Pacquiao was fully fit. Mayweather was just stay on the outside and hit him with that right jab. It would be a closer fight, but to say he would of won if it wasn't for his injury is bull.

What is this nonsense about Manny not being in his prime? Was Floyd? Please stop with this failed attempts to justify his loss to a legend.

For a defensive fighter imho, being in your prime matters less than for an all out and out attacker with explosive punching power like manny. I.E look at footballer, strikers have a shorter shelf-life than defenders.

Additionally, Mayweather is unique in what he does, no-one else could do it, he found a loophole and exposed it.

Manny Paquio fought one armed with a severely torn rotator cuff.

We need to see a rematch purely based on that one thing, not the hugging or running from mayweather either.
Original post by Mr.Rojas
I was actually there rooting to Mayweather. I put my money on Mayweather's pot thus I made money. But I was one of those guys who booed him when he was declared the winner. Everyone seated in my row had a clear view that Manny almost beat Mayweahter in at least 7 rounds. We can see how Mayweather was scared, and we can hear when his father scold him for being scared to fight Pacquiao. The scores were a total bull, tbh. I won when Mayweather won. I made money. But the fact remains that Manny Pacquiao was the better fighter between the two. Floyd, however, was the better runner. He was eluding Manny almost all the time. WTF!!!

I agree, the whole match Mayweather was running away from Pacquiao which was very annoying. I was actually referring to the people who dropped $250,000 for ring side tickets. I know I would have been ticked off if I spent that much to watch someone run away from their opponent and basically on defense the entire match. I was expecting so much more. How Mayweather even compared himself to Ali is laughable. Good on you for betting on Mayweather, I would have done the same if I was into gambling. At least you got something out of it.
Guys, Pac-man fought one handed, injured with a severely torn rotator cuff. They need to give us all a rematch. If mayweather wins this time round, despite thinking he has a negative, boring and unfair tactic of hugging and running, he will be in my eyes, a better boxer in the technical sense, but not the true sense.
Original post by Tawheed
Guys, Pac-man fought one handed, injured with a severely torn rotator cuff. They need to give us all a rematch. If mayweather wins this time round, despite thinking he has a negative, boring and unfair tactic of hugging and running, he will be in my eyes, a better boxer in the technical sense, but not the true sense.
No he won't you'll just be banging about "if this fight had happened in 2010". I think that is why Floyd has backed out of it. For those who haven't had it put to bed, you never are.

There is nothing to be learned, 2010, this May, next April. Manny with still not be able to cut off a ring, he's still going to have an astonishingly bad inside game for a elite fighter, and he still going to have have a non-existant jab behind a shorter reach and inferior timing. Manny is not equipped as a boxer to beat Floyd. The guy to beat Floyd is going to need the first and last of those at least to get past him on decision.

Original post by Kenan and Kel
All you complaining, be quiet and watch Canelo-Kirkland tomorrow night.
Rumours seem to be it could tee up and Canelo-Cotto fight at the end of the year. I would like to see that for sure.
At the end of the day, Mayweatrehr's a counter puncher. They win rounds, not go for the knock outs.
To those who say Floyd was running. He had the fight won in the first 3 rounds. He didn't need to chase it, he was comfortably winning and Pac was the one who had to catch him.
Same result whether he has a fixed shoulder. Mayweather always has an answer.
Some people fail to grasp the concept of boxing. Its not all blood and bones. Watch more than one fight before you claim someone is better than the other.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 612
Original post by Mr.Rojas
Still, that doesn't make Mayweather the better fighter. It looks to me that he doesn't really fight. He runs or jumps away from the opponent, and sometimes, hides. He was eluding most of the time. You call that a great fighter? Come on. Besides, his ppunches aren't strong. Manny's punches are stronger -- he damages his opponent more than Mayweather does.

That said, Mayweather, was just good in using the technical rules to his advantage. But that does not make him the better FIGHTER. Unless you do have a different meaning for the word.

I'd agree Manny is a better puncher but defensive skill is part of being a fighter and there's no better at protecting themselves than Floyd

Posted from TSR Mobile
Y'all Pacquiao fans (myself included) need to get over it and be proud of you man. He won his first world title in flyweight ffs, he shouldn't even be fighting at 147. Is an accomplishment to even be fighting in the welterweight division, never mind beating 95% of the guys in them. Floyd is just a bad styles match-up for him, and a little bit too good.
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Y'all Pacquiao fans (myself included) need to get over it and be proud of you man. He won his first world title in flyweight ffs, he shouldn't even be fighting at 147. Is an accomplishment to even be fighting in the welterweight division, never mind beating 95% of the guys in them. Floyd is just a bad styles match-up for him, and a little bit too good.

IMO, i think we need to wait for a fully-fit manny to fight floyd. Ideally it should have been a prime manny fighting him, but in the last fight, i had it at 7-5 to mayweather , and that was a one-armed manny fighting with a severely torn rotator cuff. Mayweather is a counter puncher, so his injuries do not matter imo, and in addition, he definitely did not have a severely torn rotator cuff.

I want fully fit manny and a fully fit mayweather fighting again. Or history will put a big question mark.
How many times more did the fraud Pacquiao "earn" last Saturday than Maidana in his first fight with Floyd?
There isn't going to be a rematch and both of them are past their prime so we will never know who really would have won (May imo).
Original post by awkwardshortguy
How many times more did the fraud Pacquiao "earn" last Saturday than Maidana in his first fight with Floyd?

He isn't a fraud. All he needed was a legal injection on his arm to numb the pain caused by a severely torn rotator cuff. Had he got that, we would have seen a proper fight.
Original post by Tawheed
IMO, i think we need to wait for a fully-fit manny to fight floyd. Ideally it should have been a prime manny fighting him, but in the last fight, i had it at 7-5 to mayweather , and that was a one-armed manny fighting with a severely torn rotator cuff. Mayweather is a counter puncher, so his injuries do not matter imo, and in addition, he definitely did not have a severely torn rotator cuff.

I want fully fit manny and a fully fit mayweather fighting again. Or history will put a big question mark.

Also, lols at finding five rounds for Manny. He won the 4th and 6th. Arguments could be made for 9 and 10. I gave him 9 but Floyd definitely got the better of him in the 10th. You're starting to sound like a broken record. The best version of Manny will almost always lose to the best version of Floyd.
One week later and this thread is still going..

Give it up guys. No rematch and no controversy IMO. Manny was poor on the night barring two rounds and injured or not, failed to really give it his best shot. Floyd, rightly, was sticking to what he knew best and got the win.

Quick Reply

Latest