The Student Room Group

Anyone need help with Edexcel AS Geography?

If anyone is struggling with AS Edexcel Geography or wants to to do better I'm happy to help, studied it last year and did well :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hey i am doing as geography, edexcel.....what did you get couz im aiming for an A????.....
HELLO! i have my first mock on Monday and i need to know everything!!! please help moi :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by HToo
hey i am doing as geography, edexcel.....what did you get couz im aiming for an A????.....

I got an A!:smile:
Reply 4
Original post by laurathornton98
HELLO! i have my first mock on Monday and i need to know everything!!! please help moi :smile:

Sorry it took a while to reply but hello! How can I help?
Reply 5
Original post by DaveUncle
I got an A!:smile:

thats really good well done!!!:smile::h:
so i wanted to ask....how did you revise, when did you start to revise and any tips.....im finding section A on unit on for some reason hard.... but section B is easy (i like essay questions).....i know the knowledge but dont know how to answer the questions.... and how do you revise for unit 2... im doing crowded coasts and rebranding
Reply 6
Original post by HToo
thats really good well done!!!:smile::h:
so i wanted to ask....how did you revise, when did you start to revise and any tips.....im finding section A on unit on for some reason hard.... but section B is easy (i like essay questions).....i know the knowledge but dont know how to answer the questions.... and how do you revise for unit 2... im doing crowded coasts and rebranding

For both units do all the past papers you can, but especially do them for unit 2! Unit 2 is incredibly predictable and repetitive so the markschemes are largely similar across the board (it's easier to get an A in unit 2 than in unit 1 in my opinion), I managed to predict a question about weather diaries would come up in my exam, and it did! So my revision was just past papers and using the CGP revision guide tbh it was like my bible, you could use the textbook too

I started revising for my ASs around February I'd say, but in retrospect I wish I had started a bit earlier because despite my success in Geography my other grades weren't as great!

For unit 2 just learn a set of case studies, so for Rebranding you just need to know about a handful of areas that have been rebranded and know some facts and figures about them and make sure you can make some stuff up about an investigation you did:smile: Wish I could help with how to revise Crowded Coasts but I did Extreme Weather instead!
Reply 7
Hi. I've got a mock on Tuesday for Unit1 of the Edexcel AS Geog course. I've been reviewing / re-writing notes, reading my textbook and answered some exam questions. What questions could I expect to appear in my 90 min mock?
Reply 8
Original post by louisb8
Hi. I've got a mock on Tuesday for Unit1 of the Edexcel AS Geog course. I've been reviewing / re-writing notes, reading my textbook and answered some exam questions. What questions could I expect to appear in my 90 min mock?

Anything you've covered I expect! Each section is usually worth between like 9-14 marks and includes 1 markers up to 6 markers... I'm not sure what else you want really!
Reply 9
For both units do all the past papers you can, but especially do them for unit 2! Unit 2 is incredibly predictable and repetitive so the markschemes are largely similar across the board (it's easier to get an A in unit 2 than in unit 1 in my opinion), I managed to predict a question about weather diaries would come up in my exam, and it did! So my revision was just past papers and using the CGP revision guide tbh it was like my bible, you could use the textbook too

I started revising for my ASs around February I'd say, but in retrospect I wish I had started a bit earlier because despite my success in Geography my other grades weren't as great!

For unit 2 just learn a set of case studies, so for Rebranding you just need to know about a handful of areas that have been rebranded and know some facts and figures about them and make sure you can make some stuff up about an investigation you did:smile: Wish I could help with how to revise Crowded Coasts but I did Extreme Weather instead!

ok well do thanks...btw can i ask what other subjects did you do???because im doing sociology, geography, chemistry and biology....just wondering and yeah ive started to revise from now...im doing world at risk at the moment learning all the key words...than gonna go over my notes....do you think thats ok or shall i do more......
Reply 10
Original post by HToo
ok well do thanks...btw can i ask what other subjects did you do???because im doing sociology, geography, chemistry and biology....just wondering and yeah ive started to revise from now...im doing world at risk at the moment learning all the key words...than gonna go over my notes....do you think thats ok or shall i do more......

I did Geography, Biology, History and Physics at AS and got ABBD respectively (I suck at maths :frown:)

And hm go over your case studies! For example there might be a question like "describe the impacts earthquakes have on urban areas", and since you've looked at your case study about earthquakes in San Francisco for example, you can use those impacts without it even being a case study question if you see what I mean?
Reply 11
I did Geography, Biology, History and Physics at AS and got ABBD respectively (I suck at maths :frown:)

And hm go over your case studies! For example there might be a question like "describe the impacts earthquakes have on urban areas", and since you've looked at your case study about earthquakes in San Francisco for example, you can use those impacts without it even being a case study question if you see what I mean?

ok thanks for your help.....really appreciate it
Reply 12

What do you predict will come up this year for Extreme weather?
Reply 13
Original post by Sasha66
What do you predict will come up this year for Extreme weather?

It's hard to tell without me going through all the past papers but I don't think the 15 marker will be on weather diaries, as that was on my paper last year... I'd revise your case study for how you'd investigate a type of extreme weather eg floods!

The 10 markers are harder to predict, but don't expect management of drought as that was on my paper last year as well. Maybe there could be the causes/impacts/management of tropical storms?
Reply 14
Does anyone have any revision notes (esp. for case studies that they could upload? :/)
Reply 15
I don't understand albedo :c

My understanding of it is this: Less sunlight is reflected by white ice, and more is absorbed by dark water. Water warms, this causes more ice to melt, lowering the albedo. The cycle repeats. Earth warms.

So the albedo is lowered, but the process remains a POSITIVE feedback mechanism?
Reply 16
Original post by Remne
I don't understand albedo :c

My understanding of it is this: Less sunlight is reflected by white ice, and more is absorbed by dark water. Water warms, this causes more ice to melt, lowering the albedo. The cycle repeats. Earth warms.

So the albedo is lowered, but the process remains a POSITIVE feedback mechanism?

The way I understand it is:
-Ice as a high albedo - It reflects lots of solar energy as it is white
-The ocean has a low albedo - It absorbs lots of solar energy as it is dark
-As ice melts, there is more dark surface, so more solar energy is absorbed, so ice keeps melting and the ocean keeps warming.
-The melting of ice lowers the area's natural albedo.

It's called "positive" because it increases the change. So lets call the ice melting A, and the water warming B.

A causes B, which in turn causes A, therefore increasing the original change, if that makes any sense?
I am struggling for unit 2, do you have tips?
Reply 18
Original post by Chile young
I am struggling for unit 2, do you have tips?

Learn your investigative case studies and do past papers!
Reply 19
The way I understand it is:
-Ice as a high albedo - It reflects lots of solar energy as it is white
-The ocean has a low albedo - It absorbs lots of solar energy as it is dark
-As ice melts, there is more dark surface, so more solar energy is absorbed, so ice keeps melting and the ocean keeps warming.
-The melting of ice lowers the area's natural albedo.

It's called "positive" because it increases the change. So lets call the ice melting A, and the water warming B.

A causes B, which in turn causes A, therefore increasing the original change, if that makes any sense?

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending