The Student Room Group
Original post by elliotdada
Hi Guys,

I'm a Science teacher.

Most books Available in the market for revising science contain information in the form of paragraphs. I am planning to write a book for gcse core and additional science students which will contain questions and answers so that it is easy for students to understand the question and what could be the answer of any particular type of questions.

Should I prepare such book and bring it in the market or it would just be wastage of time and money?

Any comments would be much appreciated. Thank You and best of luck for exam.

Yes it would be useful, because unfortunately exams are about learning how to answer a question specifically to a mark scheme. I always use past papers to revise because then you can learn what an examiner is looking for. It would also be very useful because I always learn what's in the text book and then when I go to do a past paper question the answer is completely different. Text books never seem to have the key points in them that are needed for exams (well my text books don't!).
Reply 2
I'd say that's a very good idea indeed!

an example of questions over reading applicable to me would be this year (A2 Biology, Maths and PE):
throughout the year my biology teacher has finished all lessons with at least 10/15 mins of proper exam questions; however my pe teacher has just been reciting powerpoints every lesson, and I've been taking notes (first exam question of the year he set 1 week ago!!).

(very) Long story short; although the vast majority of students believe Bio to be a lot easier than PE, because of the way I've acquired exam technique from question-based Bio teaching I'm predicted an A in Bio and C in PE!

*sidenote; I by far prefer Bio to PE now, due to my taught ability to get high marks, so I get better grades etc*

I think it would also be a good idea to spot common themes between past paper questions (e.g. (for gcse) always use temperature in enzyme answers) and put them into a mini info bubble at the sides of pages!

After writing all of this I've realised that I did gcse over 2 years ago, so all of this is hardly applicable...but anyways, I got a B in gcse additional bio, and could've got an A* had I used your hypothetical question-based exam book :wink:

I hope some of my "student's opinion" helped :smile:
I think it would help LOADS. In the market at the moment there are many books which give you the information e.g Nelson Thornes, CGP but they don't actually teach you exam technique or how to apply knowledge to a question (my opinion)
Original post by elliotdada
Hi Guys,

I'm a Science teacher.

Most books Available in the market for revising science contain information in the form of paragraphs. I am planning to write a book for gcse core and additional science students which will contain questions and answers so that it is easy for students to understand the question and what could be the answer of any particular type of questions.

Should I prepare such book and bring it in the market or it would just be wastage of time and money?

Any comments would be much appreciated. Thank You and best of luck for exam.

How will you go about publishing and conveying the difference between your material and others available?

It may be useful material youre writing but if academic books are distributed through institutions; students may not have a desire to spend money on your product.

Perhaps you can write multiple shortened versions correlating to different subject areas within said field, even as quick market research for your book.

Good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending