The Student Room Group

Taking Gap

My daughter wants to do medicine however we don’t have a settled status so international fee is way high to think. Can she take 3 years gap so she gets ILR and then join medicine? In that gap she can work for all 2 years or she has to be full time studying any other subjects at least for 2 years? As I am aware there is no harm in taking 1 years gap.
It would be unconventional but it should be OK. She should however be furthering her application to Medicine throughout the gap years. I know next to nothing about student finance of non-EU nationals, but I'd check the student finance rules and give them a good read to see when exactly she'll be eligible for the tuition and maintenance loan.

Edit (misclicked "post"!): she can do more or less as she pleases on her gap years as long as she doesn't waste them. She doesn't necessarily have to study although some evidence of recent study will be welcomed by universities considering that it will have been 3 years since the end of school and the start of university. She can work, ideally in the healthcare sector, and try to find work experience in hospitals. If possible, however, I'd try to find a way to avoid your daughter taking 3 gap years as it seems a bit excessive and will probably play on her mind a bit. Can she study in another country where she might not have to pay as much?
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Scotland Yard
It would be unconventional but it should be OK. She should however be furthering her application to Medicine throughout the gap years. I know next to nothing about student finance of non-EU nationals, but I'd check the student finance rules and give them a good read to see when exactly she'll be eligible for the tuition and maintenance loan.

Edit (misclicked "post"!): she can do more or less as she pleases on her gap years as long as she doesn't waste them. She doesn't necessarily have to study although some evidence of recent study will be welcomed by universities considering that it will have been 3 years since the end of school and the start of university. She can work, ideally in the healthcare sector, and try to find work experience in hospitals. If possible, however, I'd try to find a way to avoid your daughter taking 3 gap years as it seems a bit excessive and will probably play on her mind a bit. Can she study in another country where she might not have to pay as much?

Thanks for your reply.Appreciate it. Definitely as you said it will play a lot on her mind. She can do in other countries but I think UK based study is much better than other European countries. Yet I read somewhere that after A levels you can secure a place in university but I don’t think any university would wait for her until she gets eligibility for home student.
Original post by jyothipinto82
Thanks for your reply.Appreciate it. Definitely as you said it will play a lot on her mind. She can do in other countries but I think UK based study is much better than other European countries. Yet I read somewhere that after A levels you can secure a place in university but I don’t think any university would wait for her until she gets eligibility for home student.

If it's feasible for her to do it in another country now, my honest opinion is that she should go ahead and do it. Yes, UK universities are great, but in the end what she's really after is a Medicine degree and she'll be taught well enough outside of the UK. It will pose a problem when coming to the UK (she'll probably need to do some exams and other processes to be able to practice Medicine here), but it'll be much easier overall, and certainly on her mind, than waiting three years to have the chance to study Medicine here.
Reply 4
Thanks for sharing your opinion. You are absolutely right.

Quick Reply

Latest