The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Medicine tends to see more people who genuinely want to do it, Dentistry usually is a more lifestyle focused career for a lot of people in it.
Original post by Democracy
Med student. You?

Posted from TSR Mobile
no ive still got a long way to go :smile:
Money, power and money :biggrin:

...In all seriousness I'm sure if you asked a lot of med students why they want to do it they're unlikely to give you one definitive reason. It's a combination of things, for me it's the challenge and being able to find a niche in almost anything; it's amazing how many different career paths Medicine offers.
Reply 23
Original post by chocolatesauce
Excuse the huge generalisation but a large proportion of people want to do it, are you forced by your parents or do you genuinely want to do it? It's a genuine question :smile:

I'm Sri Lankan Tamil and I can answer that

The same reason why so many South Asian in UK want to go to law school. A well paying career with a steady source of income. In my case no one in my familly was forced by our parents to do anything against our will, my siblings are all doctors and engineers but I completed one years of sixth form then dropped out to start my own business At first the Tamil community was looking down on me for dropping out of school , but my parents were very supportive.Today I run several business and I am rich , the same people that were talking behind my back are sending me marriage proposal to marry their daughters :biggrin:.
Original post by Kavinan
I'm Sri Lankan Tamil and I can answer that

The same reason why so many South Asian in UK want to go to law school. A well paying career with a steady source of income. In my case no one in my familly was forced by our parents to do anything against our will, my siblings are all doctors and engineers but I completed one years of sixth form then dropped out to start my own business At first the Tamil community was looking down on me for dropping out of school , but my parents were very supportive.Today I run several business and I am rich , the same people that were talking behind my back are sending me marriage proposal to marry their daughters :biggrin:.

lol trust the Indian community to do that, I guess you've earned many brown points from your wise choice :smile:
Original post by fire_and_ice
I'm Indian and come from a family of doctors and engineers. It's mostly because of the security it provides you with as well as being rewarding. I do regret not taking the STEM route now....

same with my family, whats the STEM route?
Reply 26
lol trust the Indian community to do that, I guess you've earned many brown points from your wise choice :smile:

Well I was born in Germany but my family is very cultural, (we don't drink or have pre marital relationships), what I've noticed with Tamil people is that they are very money hungry people , like I'm the perfect guy , I don't have any bad habits but when I dropped out school to start my business, people in the Tamil community were treating me like ****... They were calling me an idiot,waste etc... Western Tamils are hypocrites ,especially Tamil women say that they want nice guys but always go to the one with the money :mad:. But now that I have money , I'm going to find a nice wife in the motherland of Sri Lanka. There is a running joke in my family that, western Tamil girls are like serial lights, high on glitz and glamour, good for seeing but nothing else and Tamil girls born in Sri Lanka are like lamps (homely and spreading light and which would be in the heart of the house ).
Original post by Kavinan
Well I was born in Germany but my family is very cultural, (we don't drink or have pre marital relationships), what I've noticed with Tamil people is that they are very money hungry people , like I'm the perfect guy , I don't have any bad habits but when I dropped out school to start my business, people in the Tamil community were treating me like ****... They were calling me an idiot,waste etc... Western Tamils are hypocrites ,especially Tamil women say that they want nice guys but always go to the one with the money :mad:. But now that I have money , I'm going to find a nice wife in the motherland of Sri Lanka. There is a running joke in my family that, western Tamil girls are like serial lights, high on glitz and glamour, good for seeing but nothing else and Tamil girls born in Sri Lanka are like lamps (homely and spreading light and which would be in the heart of the house ).
I know so many Tamils that were born in Germany :eek2: so is mine but I think they're starting to loosen their traditional values although they're are still strict. haha I don't think its just Tamils, I'm from Kerala and the malayalis are just as bad. Its just how they are, also don't you just hate those aunties, I swear they're everywhere! I feel like they're out to see you do wrong all the time. I feel like they believe there's only one way to reach the optimum way of life and that's education, I value education greatly however its not the ultimate method. hahaha I see what you did there, its a nice analogy tbh :lol:
same with my family, whats the STEM route?

The science/maths based route. I'm the first one in my family to even consider the arts!
cuz this

The science/maths based route. I'm the first one in my family to even consider the arts!

my mum always said maths could take you anywhere, so are you studying medicine now?
Reply 31
I know so many Tamils that were born in Germany :eek2: so is mine but I think they're starting to loosen their traditional values although they're are still strict. haha I don't think its just Tamils, I'm from Kerala and the malayalis are just as bad. Its just how they are, also don't you just hate those aunties, I swear they're everywhere! I feel like they're out to see you do wrong all the time. I feel like they believe there's only one way to reach the optimum way of life and that's education, I value education greatly however its not the ultimate method. hahaha I see what you did there, its a nice analogy tbh :lol:

Lol, especially with aunties gossiping and spying. They have there network.
If they were the police there would be no crime! :biggrin:
Original post by Carpe Diem Jay
cuz this

and this
and this

:rofl: relevance is unreal, bro's in med school, now my mom keeps asking me to become an engineer :rofl:
Original post by Kavinan
Lol, especially with aunties gossiping and spying. They have there network.
If they were the police there would be no crime! :biggrin:

hahahaha sooooo true :rofl:
my mum always said maths could take you anywhere, so are you studying medicine now?

It's true! Nope, I'm still doing my A-Levels. What about you?
Reply 36

Follow your dreams mate ,much time and effort needs to be spent in high school researching potential careers. As children of parents raised in Eastern societies, we often tend to aim towards the traditional career paths of engineering and medicine. While not taking anything away from either of these choices, there are a vast number of careers that will suit anyone who thinks they have the skills to be an engineer or doctor but are not completely satisfied with either job description. I followed my dream , and I'm doing pretty well.
Original post by Carpe Diem Jay
:rofl: relevance is unreal, bro's in med school, now my mom keeps asking me to become an engineer :rofl:

loool one of my cousins' trying for pharmacy and so my uncle was like to my younger cousin I wont let there be two pharmacists in the house, you shall become a doctor haha typical Indian response lol
Original post by Kavinan
Follow your dreams mate ,much time and effort needs to be spent in high school researching potential careers. As children of parents raised in Eastern societies, we often tend to aim towards the traditional career paths of engineering and medicine. While not taking anything away from either of these choices, there are a vast number of careers that will suit anyone who thinks they have the skills to be an engineer or doctor but are not completely satisfied with either job description. I followed my dream , and I'm doing pretty well.

That's exactly where the problem lies, I don't exactly know what I want. I wanted to be a writer for as long as I can remember until I considered maths and philosophy. Don't know now.

What was your dream?
It's true! Nope, I'm still doing my A-Levels. What about you?
GCSE, I had an exam today, I told my mum that I don't think I did as well as I could of and I swear she nearly had a heart attack. These parents are obsessed with our education and career.

Latest