The Student Room Group

How many grades can my empa pull my grade down by?

I'm in my AS level year, and I've just done my chemistry empa and I have 100% got a U. How many grades can this put my overall grade down by? It's only worth 20% so if I get As in my other 2 what will I get?
Reply 1
It will reduce whatever you got overall by 20%. If you got 80% overall, then you will get 60% which is a C.
Reply 2
Original post by Async
It will reduce whatever you got overall by 20%. If you got 80% overall, then you will get 60% which is a C.

How does that work? because there is 9 marks between a U and an A in the empa which is barely any percentage. 32 out of 50 in a chemistry empa is a U so how would that drop my grade by 20%?
Reply 3
If the unit is worth 20% then it's worth 20%. Your total grade will get pulled down by 20%.
Reply 4
Original post by Async
If the unit is worth 20% then it's worth 20%. Your total grade will get pulled down by 20%.

So say if I managed to get a D in the empa how much would that pull my grade down by?
Reply 5
Original post by bethygirl
So say if I managed to get a D in the empa how much would that pull my grade down by?

If a full marks is 100%, which is 20% of the empa. Then a D is about 50% of the total 100% right? Therefore, a D is probably around 10% of the 20%.
People in my year have been saying that if you get a high A, you should still get an A if you get like a D or something in the EMPA.
Reply 7
Original post by Async

I don't think that's how it works, if she doesn't get any marks then that's it, it just doesn't count towards the total, it doesn't pull her marks down any further

OP, your EMPA marks will be scaled to UMS, and assuming you get no marks (worst case scenario) that would mean you can then only get 80% max that year, so if you got 100% in all your other exams then you can only just scrape an A grade. If you get something like 50% in your EMPA, that will mean you've amassed 10% for your total UMS so to get an A (80%) you would need 88% average in the rest of your exams
Reply 8
Original post by Mallika
I don't think that's how it works, if she doesn't get any marks then that's it, it just doesn't count towards the total, it doesn't pull her marks down any further

OP, your EMPA marks will be scaled to UMS, and assuming you get no marks (worst case scenario) that would mean you can then only get 80% max that year, so if you got 100% in all your other exams then you can only just scrape an A grade. If you get something like 50% in your EMPA, that will mean you've amassed 10% for your total UMS so to get an A (80%) you would need 88% average in the rest of your exams

That's what I said :smile:. The Empa doesn't "pull you down", it just means you will get less.
Reply 9
Original post by Async
That's what I said :smile:. The Empa doesn't "pull you down", it just means you will get less.

Ah okay, sorry I misunderstood :smile:
Reply 10
so just to clear things up:
If I get 2 not low but not super high As, what is the minimum grade I could get in my EMPA to keep it at an A/B?
so just to clear things up:
If I get 2 not low but not super high As, what is the minimum grade I could get in my EMPA to keep it at an A/B?

Assuming the lowest A's you can get so 80% on both of your other exams:

So that's (0.8*0.8)=0.64 of your total UMS (64%)

You need 80% total for an A, 70% for a B.

You'd need an A in your EMPA to get an A overall
To get a B overall you'd need 30% (surely that's below a U..)

Assuming 85% average:
(0.85*0.80)=0.68 = 68%

To get a B you would need 2% more for your total UMS
That means you need 10% in your EMPA

To get an A, you'd need 60 in your EMPA (a C)
Reply 12
Original post by Mallika
Assuming the lowest A's you can get so 80% on both of your other exams:

So that's (0.8*0.8)=0.64 of your total UMS (64%)

You need 80% total for an A, 70% for a B.

You'd need an A in your EMPA to get an A overall
To get a B overall you'd need 30% (surely that's below a U..)

Assuming 85% average:
(0.85*0.80)=0.68 = 68%

To get a B you would need 2% more for your total UMS
That means you need 10% in your EMPA

To get an A, you'd need 60 in your EMPA (a C)

That's so helpful thank you!! what about for 90%?
That's so helpful thank you!! what about for 90%?

I'll teach you how to do it:

0.9*0.8=.72 =72% You will have aleady gotten an B.
(average percentage of your other two exams, assuming they have the same weighting)*(how much those two exams are worth)=percentage you've achieved already
To get an A, you need 80%. If we assume your total UMS is 300 (it doesn't matter whether it is or not since we're dealing with percentages)
then you have
300*.72= 216 UMS

An A is 240 UMS so you need 240-216= 24 UMS from your EMPA worth 20% (60 UMS)
24/(300*.2)= 24/60=0.4

So 40% :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest