The Student Room Group

3rd year is really harder than I thought

I recently got my mark back from my project proposal and I had high hopes on it as my supervisor looked through it briefly and said it was good. But when the grade got finally released I see 40% and I just had a complete breakdown…really annoyed me urgh…it’s 10% out of the rest of my final yr project dissertation but still…makes me question myself is it even worth it anymore when my project is literally 60% of my overall grade I’ll get to when/if I graduate.
Original post by Anonymous #1
I recently got my mark back from my project proposal and I had high hopes on it as my supervisor looked through it briefly and said it was good. But when the grade got finally released I see 40% and I just had a complete breakdown…really annoyed me urgh…it’s 10% out of the rest of my final yr project dissertation but still…makes me question myself is it even worth it anymore when my project is literally 60% of my overall grade I’ll get to when/if I graduate.

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear that. Maybe try to sit down with your supervisor and ask when what they thought was good and how you can improve it to get a higher grade. I know that this is challenging but the best thing that you can do is communicate.

Best,
Jaz - Cardiff student rep

Anon,

I think you need to give yourself the time to feel frustrated/ annoyed but then you need to put things in perspective.
It was just the proposal. It is only worth 10% and you passed. You then need to take all of that energy spent feeling annoyed and you need to use it to inspire you for the rest of the project.

Third year is a tough year, but to use a running analogy (because I find them really helpful). You've like two laps to go, the legs feel tired, you're getting cramp and part of you thinks 'Is it worth it?' but then you think about the distance you've come so far, and how much work you've put in and so you keep going. If anything, you think "I am going to push harder", because you want to finish and you want to finish well.

You're nearly there.

This is the time to dig deep.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield
(edited 4 months ago)

Hi,

I completely understand how you are feeling because I have just finished my third and final year at university so I know how difficult it is and how much pressure you can put on yourself to always get those high marks. Firstly well done for passing the assignment and it isn't the end of the world that you got a lower grade than you had hoped for. I have been in the exact same situation as you when I had 2 assignments for one module and the first one didn't go as well as I wanted it to go. I felt like there is an added amount of pressure put on to you going into your final year as this is the one which counts the most towards the end grade. Try not to be too hard on yourself🙂

As you said it's only worth 10% of your grade and you have 60% more where you can make up for the marks you wanted to get. My main piece of advice would be to go back and look at the feedback and see what improvements they suggest to make and make sure that you do these in your next assignment. I also found it helpful that I asked the lecturer who marked it to sit down with me and go through where I went wrong as sometimes it can be difficult to see where exactly you went wrong. Whilst writing the assignments I would also ask for help and check that I had the right structure for the assignment whether that was with the lecturer or with course mates. This then gave me reassurance that I was along the right lines and I had the base of the assignment done right.

I completely get that it's disheartening and can feel like the end of the world because I have felt the exact same way. Just remember that there is support around you at university and use this to get feedback and ask for improvements this way it will help get the higher marks you want.

I hope this helps!
Louise - University of Wolverhampton Rep

Hi there

I am really sorry to hear this, and I understand you are disappointed. However, it is only 10%, which leaves you a lot of room to pull your marks up.

I would really suggest booking an appointment with you supervisor to see where you have went wrong, and what you can do to meet the criteria. Don't be too upset or harsh on yourself, 90% still gives you a lot of opportunity to catch up with your grades.

I hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep
Reply 5
Original post by University of Kent
Hi there

I am really sorry to hear this, and I understand you are disappointed. However, it is only 10%, which leaves you a lot of room to pull your marks up.

I would really suggest booking an appointment with you supervisor to see where you have went wrong, and what you can do to meet the criteria. Don't be too upset or harsh on yourself, 90% still gives you a lot of opportunity to catch up with your grades.

I hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep

Thank you for everyone who took their time to reply.

I really appreciate it a lot. I will take the all the advice given and yeah I won’t let this grade put me down. Isn’t the end of the world. 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending