The Student Room Group

Can I graduate with a 2:1 with three low grades in my second year?

I have received two 3rds and a low 2:2 in my second year (all grades from my second year contribute to 40% of my final grade).

I was wondering if a 2:1 is still attainable? Theoretically, if I receive all firsts in my final year, will that be enough to push it over?

I am unsure how to calculate it, but I was wondering which grades I’d need to achieve to get at least a low 2:1.

Thank you!
Original post by Thestudent990
I have received two 3rds and a low 2:2 in my second year (all grades from my second year contribute to 40% of my final grade).

I was wondering if a 2:1 is still attainable? Theoretically, if I receive all firsts in my final year, will that be enough to push it over?

I am unsure how to calculate it, but I was wondering which grades I’d need to achieve to get at least a low 2:1.

Thank you!

Hey! When I was studying I used this website to keep track of what I would need to get in future modules to get a 2:1: https://www.gradecalc.co.uk/

You would need to know the specific grade for each module to get an accurate answer. If you are doing a full dissertation it might be worth checking if this can pull your grade up as well but hopefully that website helps!
if you got at least a 45 this year and a 70 next year, you would get 60+ overall which would be a 2:1 absent specific restrictions on getting each grade. (*)

(*) It might be the case that if you did very well in third year but a weak second year dragged it down to below 60%, that you could be given a 2:1 anyway especially if you have extenuating circumstances behind those grades. On the other extreme it might be the case that even if you get 60% or higher, you might not have the right amount of credits at the right sort of mark and they could withhold the 2:1. The university has a lot of freedom with this and it often doesn't just boil down to a mark calculation.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by _gcx
if you got at least a 45 this year and a 70 next year, you would get 60+ overall which would be a 2:1 absent specific restrictions on getting each grade. (*)

(*) It might be the case that if you did very well in third year but a weak second year dragged it down to below 60%, that you could be given a 2:1 anyway especially if you have extenuating circumstances behind those grades. On the other extreme it might be the case that even if you get 60% or higher, you might not have the right amount of credits at the right sort of mark and they could withhold the 2:1. The university has a lot of freedom with this and it often doesn't just boil down to a mark calculation.

Thank you so much for your response! I believe I have achieved all available credits for this year, so fingers crossed there are no problems there.

Based on your response, it seems wise to ask for extenuating circumstances to be considered. At least I am (possibly) still able to achieve a 2:1. Thanks again!
Thank you so much for your response! I believe I have achieved all available credits for this year, so fingers crossed there are no problems there.

Based on your response, it seems wise to ask for extenuating circumstances to be considered. At least I am (possibly) still able to achieve a 2:1. Thanks again!

Yes a 2.1 is possible, but check your degree regulations because most unis have multiple methods of calculating degree classifications.

Why do you need to ask for extenuating circumstances?

Thank you!

Hi @Thestudent990

You should be able to see via your module handbook (or you can ask your course leader) how the years are going to be weighted for the final grade. For example, my course is weighted 33.33% for our second year and 66.66% for our third year.

This way you can calculate how much you’d need to earn in your third year to bring your overall grade to a 2:1. Theoretically, it is absolutely possible though!!

Best of luck!

Estelle
Second Year Psychology Student
University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending