And so on

Opinions from students/former students would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Regards,

Asclepius TSR

Personally:

Durham
Nottingham (I'm going here :smile: )
KCL (London is hella expensive)
Newcastle (Their course is way too practical for my liking)
Lancaster

Durham seems to be riding on its general prestige, more so, than on the actual strength of its department. Don't get me wrong, the course looks very interesting but the department isn't quite up there in terms of research.

Notts has a general brand cachet it has built over the past 20 years or so, this is evident in its strong relationship with employers. The course is varied with both practical and more theoretical elements - the best aspect would be the ability to do a year abroad and an MSci within 4 years.

KCL is very strong because of its location. They have one of the highest graduate salaries for CS because a lot of graduates choose to stick around London, entitling them to the London wage premium. In most cases I would peg it on par with (or even a bit higher than) Notts but the expense of living in London isn't very attractive.

Newcastle is great if you want to focus on games programming, web development etc. but I felt it lacked a truly strong theoretical offering.

Lancaster is the same as Newcastle there is a distinct lack of theoretical aspects to the course. It's also assessed mainly via coursework rather than exams - that might be attractive to some more than others.

I applied to most of these (except KCL and Durham) but chose Notts in the end.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks guys! :smile: I've made sure to give you +Rep for your replies!

What about Southampton, Manchester, Warwick? What's the general consensus on these in terms of CS courses?

Once again, thank you :smile:
Are there any Unis notorious for offering a good c++/Java/good mix of languages during their degree programme?

Thanks guys :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending