Reply 5380
Original post by ChristinaST
Yes, me! :smile:

Me too, have you heard anything yet? 😊
Reply 5381
Original post by VS2015TC2017
Not yet...

Finally heard back yesterday evening.

To anyone with experience of travelling to an interview from another country, what is the likelihood that a firm will put money towards travel costs such as flights?
Reply 5382
[QUOTE="fisherlu22;55730627"]Thanks! Bristol, you?[/QUOTE

Me too! what week will you be there? did you have a choice? Also when did you submit your application?
Original post by almvp

Me too! what week will you be there? did you have a choice? Also when did you submit your application?

The week beginning 15 June. No I didn't get a choice - really lucky because I was going to go on holiday that week but didn't get round to booking it! I think I submitted it a couple of days before the deadline.
Reply 5384
Original post by J-SP
Very important.

Most firms will ask for them either during your vacation scheme or prior to making a decision on a TC. For those that don't, if you get a TC most firms will make the offer conditional upon you receiving a 2.1 or above. The TC on boarding process/reference checks would pick up if you haven't achieved a 2.1.

As long as your grades are consistent with your previous grades or have improved there's no issue though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey just wondered if you could give me some advice. I have applied for a TC with a firm whose assessment days are during a vac scheme I have with another firm. If I am invited to an AC are firms generally ok with having the day off?
Did they get back to you automatically or did you have to remind them again? I'm really confused with what they're doing

Original post by CD2015
Finally heard back yesterday evening.

To anyone with experience of travelling to an interview from another country, what is the likelihood that a firm will put money towards travel costs such as flights?
Reply 5386
Original post by J-SP
I'd ask the interviewing firm to try and change their date. Most firms do not want you to take a day off from their scheme, and depending on what day it is, it could really be more important for you to be at the firm you have a vac scheme with.

If the interviewing firm cannot be flexible (most can, although smaller firms with small intakes sometimes can't where they only have 1 or 2 days of assessments), then flag up to your vac scheme firm as soon as possible to get their thoughts. The sooner you tell them the better though - just make sure your language is very "positive" towards them as a firm when you do!

Posted from TSR Mobile

The interviewing firm is a regional firm and they only have 3 dates which are during my vac scheme. I'm not sure if I will get through yet so it's not an issue at the moment but I do really like the interviewing firm.

I think the earliest we will know regarding the interviewing firm is the beginning of July and my scheme is the end of July. I suppose I will have to wait and see as I may not even have this dilemma. Thank you for your advice!
Original post by almvp
The interviewing firm is a regional firm and they only have 3 dates which are during my vac scheme. I'm not sure if I will get through yet so it's not an issue at the moment but I do really like the interviewing firm.

I think the earliest we will know regarding the interviewing firm is the beginning of July and my scheme is the end of July. I suppose I will have to wait and see as I may not even have this dilemma. Thank you for your advice!

Do you know the procedure with the vacation scheme firm? What sort of firm is it? If they recruit mainly from their vac schemes then it may not be worth the risk of showing disinterest by leaving for a day.

Chances of a TC with the vac scheme firm may be higher than post interview with the regional firm.
Reply 5388
Original post by LawStudentLLM
Do you know the procedure with the vacation scheme firm? What sort of firm is it? If they recruit mainly from their vac schemes then it may not be worth the risk of showing disinterest by leaving for a day.

Chances of a TC with the vac scheme firm may be higher than post interview with the regional firm.

The vac scheme is quite important for the firm however the intake for the TC is very small around 2/3 and there is a separate application for the TC.

The interviewing firm has a higher intake around 8/10 I think and it is for a 2016 intake for extra spaces.

I suppose I will wait until July as Im not sure whether I will even be faced with this dilemma until then. Just wanted some thoughts on it. Thanks for the advice!
Reply 5389
Original post by J-SP
I'd still ask the interviewing firm if there is any flexibility. They must have the same issue with other applicants and may choose to change dates if there are enough candidates who won't attend.

But I wouldn't worry about it until it happens.

If it does happen and you go to the interview during your scheme then you should ensure you make up the time across the rest of the week, and just work that little bit harder for your supervisor and network well with HR/Grad Rec team so you have made a great impression on them. You want to put the fact you have had a day out to the back of their mind, rather than the first thing they think about when they are reviewing your performance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your advice I will definately do as you said if this happens! Also, I have another vac scheme which will be my first one at the end of June and its for my favourite firm, so I really want to impress. However, I have not done a vac scheme before and I have only had 2 weeks legal experience at a local firm. Could you give me some general tips on how to impress? Is there anything I can do to prepare (especially regarding legal tasks I may be asked to do)?

Sorry for the many questions!
does anyone else have a vac scheme with Thomas Eggar?
Reply 5391
Original post by J-SP
You can't really prepare for the work as such as you won't know what you are working on. Do keep an eye on the legal press/firm's news page in the build up to your scheme though, and if you know the department you are sat in, then focus your attention to these areas.

Your two week's experience shouldn't be dismissed - I expect some on your scheme won't have that!

Be prepared - know where you need to be and when, make sure you have everything you need (business attire, notebook, pens etc) from the get go.

Write things down. Whether it's an talk from people or when your taking instructions, you are going to be given so much information that you can't expect to remember it all. Writing it down in a clear and structured manner will help.

Always ask for clarification when given work. Ask for clarity of how long a piece of written work should be, what deadlines need to adhered to, what sources should be used.

Expect your work to be criticised - and factor in time to review and update it after the feedback is given.

If you are not getting work from your supervisor, check with them and then ask other people if anyone could do with some help. You have to be careful not to over promise your availability but it's better to be working on something for someone than waiting for something to hit your desk. Do not expect work to come to you - the best interns (and trainees) find a considerable amount of their work.

Basics of don't spend too much time on the Internet, Facebook or your phone. My advice is turning notifications off on your phone - it will stop you getting distracted!

Watch your energy levels. Make sure you eat properly and keep hydrated. Try not to have busy evenings/weekends. Make sure you have ways to relax too. Vacation scheme fatigue is well known and often seen - you can only manage to avoid it if you look after yourself!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you very much for this detailed response! We are all very lucky to be able to gain advice from you on this forum! I will let you know how it goes :smile:
Reply 5392
Original post by law122
Just received a pfo from Marriott Harrison, the email asked me to apply again next year. Just wondering if this is a generic email. What did other people receive??

I have my telephone interview with them tomorrow. How did yours go? What kinds of things did they focus on and ask?
I'll let you know how mine goes/what kinds of email responses i get!
Reply 5393
Original post by Sarvie
I have my telephone interview with them tomorrow. How did yours go? What kinds of things did they focus on and ask?
I'll let you know how mine goes/what kinds of email responses i get!

I didn't have a telephone interview sorry!
just been given an assessment day for mischon de reya! finally! anyone else?
Just wondering if anyone ever heard back from Barclays Legal w/ex? Or got a telephone interview?
Reply 5396
Original post by VS2015TC2017
Did they get back to you automatically or did you have to remind them again? I'm really confused with what they're doing

They got back to me without prompting. It all seems very, very late in the day for a recruitment process for a summer scheme..
Original post by Omiclops
just been given an assessment day for mischon de reya! finally! anyone else?

Same here! At long last - worth the wait! 27th May?
Is anyone still waiting to hear from vwv?
Reply 5399
Original post by MaryTupper33
Is anyone still waiting to hear from vwv?

I am too but someone has already had an offer for the work placement on this forum. I emailed grad recruitment however and they said that they are still processing applications so fingers crossed!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending