The Student Room Group

WJEC A2 ENGLISH LITERATURE AND LANGUAGE COMBINED (11th of June) EXAM PREDICTIONS

I am yet to see a thread for combined English A level.

Does anyone have any predictions for themes for Wuthering Heights? apparently 'Love & Marriage' is strongly rumoured. I'm going to take a gamble and revise for this theme and 'Society & Class'. Most themes cross over in some way anyway.

How're you guys revising? think I'm going to just write two of the best possible essays for the above themes and try to memorise them.

Good luck!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm really struggling to revise as there are so many possible questions and absolutely no guide for guessing... Probably going to focus on contrasts, love/marriage, power and childhood and just revise key scenes and terminology.
Reply 2
Theme of power sounds promising. It's only been up once and that was on a 2010 paper.

Does anyone know what questions came up in June 2014??? Can't seem to find a past paper for it online :\

It would be good to know what came up then as they're unlikely to come up twice in a row.
Reply 3
Anyone? Btw if you put LL4 or lang and lit in the title the thread might be easier to find.
Reply 4
I found all of the papers since 2012 online, WJEC has posted them on their website with mark schemes as well.

I'm not so confident about the themes I was revising since looking over past papers...seems like the questions are a bit random.
Reply 5
Original post by Melonbug
Theme of power sounds promising. It's only been up once and that was on a 2010 paper.

Does anyone know what questions came up in June 2014??? Can't seem to find a past paper for it online :\

It would be good to know what came up then as they're unlikely to come up twice in a row.

Im doing this exam too and 2014 questions which i found on WJEC website were;

2. Explore how the theme of childhood is presented in the texts you have studied.

3. ‘Man’s grandeur stems from his knowledge of his own misery’. Consider how painful emotions
are presented in the texts you have studied.

4. How are men presented in the texts you have studied?

5. Examine the presentation of different values and/or beliefs in the texts you have studied.

6. Discuss the presentation of power struggles in the texts you have studied.
Interesting to see this thread - I did this A2 last year and there was virtually nothing on here compared to other examining boards.

Good luck to you all!
Reply 7
Original post by FatmaN'S
Im doing this exam too and 2014 questions which i found on WJEC website were;

2. Explore how the theme of childhood is presented in the texts you have studied.

3. ‘Man’s grandeur stems from his knowledge of his own misery’. Consider how painful emotions
are presented in the texts you have studied.

4. How are men presented in the texts you have studied?

5. Examine the presentation of different values and/or beliefs in the texts you have studied.

6. Discuss the presentation of power struggles in the texts you have studied.

Oh cool, thanks :smile: Interesting how they were all thematic last year. Lots of other past papers had at least 1 question on structure, setting or narrative style (etc.) so it seems good to revise things like that too.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by AmyPilot
Interesting to see this thread - I did this A2 last year and there was virtually nothing on here compared to other examining boards.

Good luck to you all!

Thank you :smile: do you have any tips you could share with us? x
Reply 9
Original post by Melonbug
Oh cool, thanks :smile: Interesting how they were all thematic last year. Lots of other past papers had at least 1 question on structure, setting or narrative style (etc.) so it seems good to revise things like that too.

your welcome! :smile: i prefer themes as i find them a lot easier, what do you think will come up? and what themes? i hope love/marriage comes up!
finally a thread about this exam :smile:, I honestly don't know what the possible questions for Wuthering Heights is gonna be :/
Thank you :smile: do you have any tips you could share with us? x

Good coursework helps lol!

I did really obscure (and slightly depressing) texts and don't really have any other advice other than to know it well - was very proud at being able to include a reference to one of my favourite teenage books in the essay (my mum dared me to get it in there) - it was not on the recommended wider reading but it fit the scenario so who cares lol!

Good luck - sure you will be fine.
Original post by AmyPilot
Good coursework helps lol!

I did really obscure (and slightly depressing) texts and don't really have any other advice other than to know it well - was very proud at being able to include a reference to one of my favourite teenage books in the essay (my mum dared me to get it in there) - it was not on the recommended wider reading but it fit the scenario so who cares lol!

Good luck - sure you will be fine.

lol true. Thank you anyway :smile:

Original post by onyeeez
finally a thread about this exam :smile:, I honestly don't know what the possible questions for Wuthering Heights is gonna be :/

I dont think anyone knows really because they could ask anything from how are women presented to themes or worse they could use a quote and ask how it links in :s-smilie:
That's true :/ but at least there's gonna be 5 questions to choose from so hopefully one of them is suitable for us to answer and also what text are you going to use to compare Wuthering Heights with ?
Original post by onyeeez
That's true :/ but at least there's gonna be 5 questions to choose from so hopefully one of them is suitable for us to answer and also what text are you going to use to compare Wuthering Heights with ?

5 questions is the only great thing and hopefully fingers crossed that there is a suitable one for us all

im comparing to Romeo + Juliet, Much Ado About Nothing, The Lovely Bones, The Kite Runner

i just got quotes in there that would fit in with different themes such as love and marriage and also death

what are you revising and what books?
5 questions is the only great thing and hopefully fingers crossed that there is a suitable one for us all

im comparing to Romeo + Juliet, Much Ado About Nothing, The Lovely Bones, The Kite Runner

i just got quotes in there that would fit in with different themes such as love and marriage and also death

what are you revising and what books?

I'm doing Wuthering Heights , Porphyria's lover and also A Walk To Remember by Nicholas Sparks. Just trying to memories the quotes and stuff.
Reply 16
[QUOTE="EmilyandHarvey;55786595"]I am yet to see a thread for combined English A level.

Does anyone have any predictions for themes for Wuthering Heights? apparently 'Love & Marriage' is strongly rumoured. I'm going to take a gamble and revise for this theme and 'Society & Class'. Most themes cross over in some way anyway.

How're you guys revising? think I'm going to just write two of the best possible essays for the above themes and try to memorise them.

Good luck![/QUOTE

my teacher has predicted love, revenge, the supernatural or isolation. as for revision ive made mind maps, been doing past papers for about a month now and i'm still panicking!
I think Love/Marriage could come up , I wouldn't mind if Isolation was to come up that would be good :smile:
My teacher also made us focus on social class but that came up last year so I doubt it will come up again.

Let's just hope one of the 5 questions is one that were able to answer well!
Reply 18
Any of you got any tips for the unseen section??
Original post by cat2424
Any of you got any tips for the unseen section??

I hope this helps!

P - Point of view
R - Rhythm
O - Overview
S - Senses, sentences, structure
E - Effect of Language

I'm doing the same exam tomorrow too ahha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending