The Student Room Group

Should London underground implement women's only coach?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EatAndRevise
If you don't feel comfortable around men, then you probably shouldn't go out into public.

Original post by King Boo
Well if you're a minor and dont feel comfortable around the public on public transport, take an adult with you. Your fears and issues with the public aren't that of the rest of societies, and you shouldn't impose on the rest of London because of your bad experiences.

So your first response to a child being sexually harassed is to put the blame on me LMFAO alright then
I hope you never have children
Original post by cat-pook
So your first response to a child being sexually harassed is to put the blame on me LMFAO alright then

Please indicate where I blamed you for getting sexually harassed.

I said that if you don't feel comfortable around men, then you shouldn't go out in public, because if you didn't know, there are men in public.
Please indicate where I blamed you for getting sexually harassed.

I said that if you don't feel comfortable around men, then you shouldn't go out in public, because if you didn't know, there are men in public.

Is it really that hard to cater for people? Like, would it really **** up your life that much if there was a women's carriage for women who would feel safer? Why are you so strongly against, like, support for people?
Is it really that hard to cater for people? Like, would it really **** up your life that much if there was a women's carriage for women who would feel safer? Why are you so strongly against, like, support for people?

"support for people" "cater for people"

I'm sure there are many men who don't feel comfortable/safe travelling on the underground. It's not possible to cater for everyone in a situation like this.
"support for people" "cater for people"

I'm sure there are many men who don't feel comfortable/safe travelling on the underground. It's not possible to cater for everyone.

But it is! If there are men who don't feel comfortable because of past experiences with abuse or harrassment, or maybe find the underground a sensory overload because of a developmental disability such as autism, they can also be catered for! In fact, that'd be amazing!
But it is! If there are men who don't feel comfortable because of past experiences with abuse or harrassment, or maybe find the underground a sensory overload because of a developmental disability such as autism, they can also be catered for! In fact, that'd be amazing!

I don't quite understand what you are suggesting we do to cater for them.

Having women-only carriages is not only completely sexist, but it would also be very impractical, especially during peak times.
(edited 8 years ago)
I don't quite understand what you are suggesting.

Having women-only carriages is not only completely sexist, but it would also be very impractical, especially during peak times.

If Japan is managing it fine, then clearly it's not impossible. It's not sexist at all, and I don't really understand how you could misconstrue it in such a way.
If Japan is managing it fine, then clearly it's not impossible. It's not sexist at all, and I don't really understand how you could misconstrue it in such a way.

I never said it was impossible, I said it was impractical.

Yes it is, you are giving special treatment to a group of people based on their gender. Can you imagine the outcry from feminists if men were given a men-only carriage?
No, I like having men rub up against me

Oh please stop with your condescending high horse nature, didn't your parents ever tell you to respect your elders?

The fact is, if you feel unsafe around random men in public, then frankly you should not be using public transport alone. As your very quick to bring up, you're a minor, and resultantly, if you feel unsafe, you should either NOT use the tube alone, or have a legal adult with you at all times to reassure you.

Im sorry, but I've been using the tube since before you hit puberty, and yes women sometimes are touched inappropriately, but dont stand there and slander all men with the same brush. Its patronising and stereotypical, yet you seem to expect sympathy for claiming all men are potential rapists and perverts? By saying you've had to run off the train crying, tbh it makes you seem immature and that you aren't old enough to be using the tube alone anyway.

My advice to you is perhaps you should stop using the tube alone, until you've grown up a little bit and learnt how to deal and interact with the public on public transport before using it again. Ironically, I felt kinda sorry for your bad experiences, until you said you dont trust men on public transport.
Original post by adesola15
Source??? Or just casual prejudice???

Original post by Mannz
Firstly, I would love to see the statistics for each point you made.
Secondly, you contradicted yourself. You say it is not right to make a "vast majority" based on a "small minority", namely men, yet you proceed to make a gross generalisation of black people based on nothing more than your ignorance and further stereotype all "non-white groups". Unless you have witnessed every case of harassment and cat-calling and have witnessed every single crime committed to make an accurate judgement, I suggest you sit the **** down.

I assume you have never personally lived in an area with a high percentage of black people, otherwise it would be pretty obvious to you that they are disproportionately responsible for a huge amount of street crime, and are much, much more likely to engage in street harassment.

Anyway: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/7856787/Violent-inner-city-crime-the-figures-and-a-question-of-race.html

They show that among those proceeded against for street crimes, 54 per cent were black; for robbery, 59 per cent; and for gun crimes, 67 per cent. Street crimes include muggings, assault with intent to rob and snatching property.
Just over 12 per cent of London’s 7.5 million population is black, including those of mixed black and white parentage, while 69 per cent is white, according to the Office for National Statistics.
Reply 191
No, it'd just result in segregation going further. It's taking a step backwards.
Original post by hycurrie
Oh come on I get that some women do feel violated and that yes some men are vile pigs, but just as some are you shouldn't blame or assume all men are the same. I'm sure some men are totally embarrassed when they accidentally touch a woman. I'm just purely saying that all men don't go onto the train to touch up a woman.

And I don't get what is so implausible about a gay person feeling up a person. I mean I'm sure it doesn't happen, and I didn't say lesbians didn't I just think it's a silly idea for women to have their own train.

I don't understand your point here. You're using the 'not all men' argument against me saying don't tell a woman that feels violated that she liked it? Why does it matter if it was an accident? That..in no way...means she liked it...or is even related to that statement what

and the lesbian thing i'm not saying it's implausible i'm saying it's such a ridiculously small occurrence that it's hardly worth considering in a larger picture 'oh no we can't have a women's only coach because once a year we might get a lesbian touching someone up'
as opposed to the countless cases day to day?

like I said, it has merit but I don't necessarily agree that it's a good idea and i think the more spacious carriages etc is (though unlikely) a far better way forward.
Original post by somethingbeautiful
So what about strange men and strange women? Do they just straddle a gendered carriage and a rainbow carriage?

I see holes in your plan :colonhash:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Strange peeps can take the rainbow carriage. Fool proof plan bro
Original post by scrotgrot
I knew someone would wilfully misinterpret: OK, groping on the train is not endemic. When it happens it's a problem but it happens rarely, I'd say, or at least nowhere near as much as those countries, like Japan, which have had to institute women-only coaches. Happy?

No, actually. From personal experience I can tell you that it is anything but rare.
Groping and grinding on the underground? :s-smilie:

I've been using the underground daily for the last 8 years and I've never seen any groping, grinding etc.

Which tube lines have all this fun going on? :colone:
So when women demand entire carriages to themselves it's justified, but if men demand it for the exact same reason they are ridiculed. EVERYONE, regardless of gender, is subject to squeezing together on the tube at peak times. Why don't people stop perpetuating such stupid double standards and make valid suggestions (like separate carriages for the disabled/ pregnant).
Reply 197
Original post by ILovePancakes
Have had worse things than groping happen to me on the tube. A man openly grabbed my friend's boob as he got off the tube once. She was either 15 or 16 at the time; it was just after Year 11 GCSEs.

However, I don't feel like the creation of a woman's only carriage would do anything to stop things like this from happening and it gives out the message that men are bad; that it is all men, when it is clearly a small minority who behave like this. I don't think that such a move would have positive effects at all and would only further isolate men/women and cause more resentment.

If you think that's worse than the Japanese trains he's referring to them you've really got no idea what he's talking about
What's the worst that could happen to us?

I think it's a silly idea. If you can't handle the tube, take a bus or drive.

Quick Reply

Latest