The Student Room Group

Inmate kills child molester cellmate

Steven Sandison killed his cellmate, Theodore Dyer, recently because he molested a 9 year old child. Dyer also apparently kept trying to justify his actions to Sandison which arguably spurred on Sandison further to kill Dyer. Sandison himself is serving a life sentence without parole for murdering his girlfriend in 1991.

I would like people's thoughts on whether:

1. Sandison's actions were justified

2. the rape of a 9 year old girl is 'worse', in your eyes, than the murder of one's girlfriend (admittedly we don't have much context on the 1991 murder).

Also feel free to comment whatever other feelings you may have about this.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

1. Well, I don't see anything wrong with murder of someone if they're worthy of it but I don't see it as justice either.

2. I can't compare the two. Rape is horrible and it was against a nine year old girl. Can't really make a judgement without the full details of the murder either but even then I'm not sure. I mean, I'd rather be raped and live than be killed.
Rape is worse than murder because the victim has to live with what's happened for the rest of their life.

Murder is never justified. Sandison's actions were not justified.
Original post by Keyhofi
Rape is worse than murder because the victim has to live with what's happened for the rest of their life.

Lol, **** no. If you ask me I'd rather be raped than murdered but k
Reply 4
1. No. Taking the Law into your hand is always bad.

2. I'd consider murder the worst of all crimes, but that's subjective. Apparently the former thinks he's in a better position, which is tragic regardless.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Murders thinking they can take moral high ground :lol:
Sandison's actions weren't justified because he's a psycho. He clearly thought that was such a right thing to do yet he killed his own gf so you can't call him a hero.
Reply 7
Original post by Truths
Murders thinking they can take moral high ground :lol:

These were my exact thoughts when I heard about this!
1. I don't believe its justified because when Dyer had his trial he wasn't given the death penalty, he was sentenced to prison. The idea that he was trying to justify his crime might play with people's emotions and make them angry but murder is rarely the best solution.
2. It is worse in the sense that the 9 year old will remember this moment for the rest of their lives and will find it traumatic and might never recover. However murder is the end and the victim is given no opportunity to recover.
1- He has no right to put law into his own hands, especially coming from a murder, killing is never the answer for anything, we should only give life not take it.

2- Both crimes are equally inhumane, however murder is worse as once someones gone they gone, they had so much they could have done but all that been taken away in such a harsh and cruel way.

Rape is bad and a disgusting thing to do to a person and it can be mentally damaging, however its not near as bad as murder, at least a rape victim will have time to heal over time and have a chance to live their life with all the support they get from family, friends and even public services, a dead person can't do that.
And they say there is a rape culture, when even murderers feel like they have the moral high ground over rapists. Rape is second worst after murder, that's always been the consensus in society. But I suppose the thing is rape requires concerted thought and effort whereas murder can be something done in a momentary rage. So in that respect the rapist is more evil than (some) murderers.
Original post by Alrounder79
Steven Sandison killed his cellmate, Theodore Dyer, recently because he molested a 9 year old child. Dyer also apparently kept trying to justify his actions to Sandison which arguably spurred on Sandison further to kill Dyer. Sandison himself is serving a life sentence without parole for murdering his girlfriend in 1991.

I would like people's thoughts on whether:

1. Sandison's actions were justified

2. the rape of a 9 year old girl is 'worse', in your eyes, than the murder of one's girlfriend (admittedly we don't have much context on the 1991 murder).

Also feel free to comment whatever other feelings you may have about this.

Murder is of course the worst crime.

Rape and pedophilia really anger the criminal / prison population perhaps because they think they are powerless to protect their families against such people. They call them "nonses" and claim they they are doing their duty to society by beating up "nonses".

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Keyhofi

Murder is never justified. Sandison's actions were not justified.

Lol.

Nah I'll pick being raped over being murdered thanks :laugh:
Original post by Keyhofi

So- let make it clear- in your opinion it would be less evil if he would kill the girl after being rape? Is killing the rape victims by their family a somehow justified thing then?
All of the guys here are saying murder is worst. Not really once your gone that's it.

I would rather be killed than raped. That would destroy me literally, I wouldn't recover

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
mirin
Reply 16
People should not be able to murder each other in prison
Original post by ChickenMadness
Lol.

Nah I'll pick being raped over being murdered thanks :laugh:

You'd probably enjoy it. :rofl:
Original post by SiminaM
You'd probably enjoy it. :rofl:

Depends if it's a homosexual rape or a super hot girl sexually assaulting me :redface:
Reply 19
Original post by ChickenMadness
Depends if it's a homosexual rape or a super hot girl sexually assaulting me :redface:

Would it even be rape in the second case for you? :hmmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending