The Student Room Group

WJEC English Literature GCSE 18th and 22nd May.

Scroll to see replies

Im doing OMAM, Lord of the Flies and Blood Brothers. Btw what type of question would they ask if Curely comes up? Im so confused on what to write for/about him? Help pleaaaseeee!
Reply 41
I am doing this exam too! In my Controlled Assessment, I've got 31/40. Teacher said it was 1 mark away from an A, but hopefully I'll be able to get an A in that CA.

I hope the essay question will be based on; Curley's Wife, Crooks, Candy, Slim and George. I hope Curley will not come up in the exam, I don't like him at all.
However, considering last year they asked question associated with Crooks, he will not come up this year.
November 2014 exam they asked about the relationship about George and Lennie too, so I think theme of friendship will also not come up either.
This means that Candy and Slim is likely to come up. Although Slim was asked in one of the papers, there are hardly any Candy related questions in there.
My teacher always pointed out the fact that Slim was hard to answer in the exam, so we might answer a question about him in the exam on Monday!
Original post by jxssamy
I'm doing About A Boy, there's hardly any online resources about it and it's SUCH a long book to try and remember all the details. I'll probably just write some quotes for each character that are transferable to themes.

Yeah that sounds good :smile:
I did of mice and men last year and I found that watching the film really helped me to understand all of the characters. I'm doing An Inspector Calls next week and I've watched the black and white film, it's really good for helping you to remember things about the play.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 44
Please can someone make a list of writing techniques I can include in the Eng Lit Paper 1 as I'm getting mixed up with Lit 1, Lit 2 and Lang papers (all AQA). The books I'm studying are The Crucible and OMAM but the list doesn't have to be specific to either of these books.

Thanks.
Reply 45
I'm doing the exact same exams as you and the same texts. So far I know the predictions (for Of Mice and Men) on characters could be Slim (although unlikely) and Curley's Wife, who hasn't come up for a while. A key theme prediction is loneliness as that hasn't come up for a while either. I'm not feeling too bad about it. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
So what are the predicted characters that can come up in Of Mice And Men? And themes?
I'm doing To kill a mocking bird, lord of the flies and the history boys(I haven't heard of anyone doing this a the play, and theres barely anything online about it which is frustrating.

What do you think the mocking bird questions will be anyone?
Reply 48
Original post by MezmorisedPotato
Curleys Wife won't most likely come up. She's in the new spec example questions.
Mrs Birling wont come up on Inspector calls most likely because she came up on new spec example questions.
On Mice and Men, Crooks probs wont come up for the same reason.

do you have a link to the spec example q's? i cant find them bc wjec's website is disgusting
Original post by jxssamy
do you have a link to the spec example q's? i cant find them bc wjec's website is disgusting

omg tell me about it. Their website has to be the absolute worst. I cannot find a single thing on there. Their UMS converter and grade boundaries are a bunch of nonsense too. If you find anything let me know please!
Original post by Scarllett
I did of mice and men last year and I found that watching the film really helped me to understand all of the characters. I'm doing An Inspector Calls next week and I've watched the black and white film, it's really good for helping you to remember things about the play.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was going to do that but I decided not to. Last year some people did that and ended up using movie quotes instead of book quotes (which are different) and their grades plummeted. WJEC highlight that. But of course if you remember the book quotes and the movie helps you that's great. What grade did you get? And what tips do you have for unseen poetry?
Original post by lauzy00
I'm doing the exact same exams as you and the same texts. So far I know the predictions (for Of Mice and Men) on characters could be Slim (although unlikely) and Curley's Wife, who hasn't come up for a while. A key theme prediction is loneliness as that hasn't come up for a while either. I'm not feeling too bad about it. :smile:

From what you said it doesn't sound too bad. I would love it if loneliness came up, that is probably the richest one to write about. Let's cross our fingers!
Original post by ArcticNeighbour
From what you said it doesn't sound too bad. I would love it if loneliness came up, that is probably the richest one to write about. Let's cross our fingers!

but Curley hasn't came up at all if we are talking about AQA

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by katebeckett
Im doing OMAM, Lord of the Flies and Blood Brothers. Btw what type of question would they ask if Curely comes up? Im so confused on what to write for/about him? Help pleaaaseeee!

It could either be a really weird one or a really good one for Curley. I think the main thing is to remember that it's about him. So you could write about how he's similar/different to his wife, power, insecurities, vindictiveness etc.
Original post by ArcticNeighbour
It could either be a really weird one or a really good one for Curley. I think the main thing is to remember that it's about him. So you could write about how he's similar/different to his wife, power, insecurities, vindictiveness etc.

Curley came up in 2013. The Q: "How Important is Curley in the novella?"
Original post by MezmorisedPotato
Curley came up in 2013. The Q: "How Important is Curley in the novella?"

sorry, I got invited to this thread thinking it was for the AQA exam board. somonesaid it was useful but clearly not for me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 57
Original post by katebeckett

They could ask about his importance but as it came up a couple of yrs ago, don't think it will come up this yr but u never know :s-smilie:. also - "Discuss the view that Curley is the villain of the novel. How does Steinbeck use him to comment on how the strong abuse the weakin 1930s America?" maybe
Original post by Tommy1499
but Curley hasn't came up at all if we are talking about AQA

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh I'm not sure about everyone else but I'm talking about WJEC, hence the name of the thread.
Original post by Tommy1499
sorry, I got invited to this thread thinking it was for the AQA exam board. somonesaid it was useful but clearly not for me

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, not problem. But although there are different exam boards, the questions are still applicable for most

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending