The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by louieja
its really not, the last link o posted is to a vegan NFL player, he weighs like 21 stone. one of the guys is a 78 year old vegan body builder. i know the protein thing is often mentioned but its just not true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ9sfVsBbS8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dsS6Znhw5M
http://www.the300poundvegan.com/

Meat doesn't just have protein. It has a bucketload of vitamins and minerals and it's all in one source of food.

And that NFL player is probably super rich and can order everything he needs lol. Vegan diets are expensive if you want to be healthy. ( I go for eggs usually as they're super cheap)
Original post by omarkhatri
You inviting louieja for iftaar? :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Obvo :wink:
It's like saying a Cheetah deserves to die because it eats a gazelle.
Original post by Snooppuppy420
Grown men aren't breast fed by the mothers, so why do they need milk?

Oh gosh lol, this is a funny point but surely God made these animals for a reason..not just for admiration. Milk is great, I have never even thought about it twice... Almond milk isn't the same! Also, I understand your view on why you think meat shouldn't be consumed but we aren't harming the cows by drinking their milk so why on earth should we stop?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by big_dreamer
B12 is found in bacteria, soil and water, which animals eat, hence, thats how they obtain it!!

http://www.vegetarian.org.uk/factsheets/b12factsheet.html
https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2007nl/nov/b12.htm

Vitamin D- THE SUN.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=84 - tells you where to get your omega 3 from soy etc.

You're not very well informed. Specifically vitamin D3 cannot be provided by the sun. Thats a different D vitamin. Just like D2 comes from plants, not the sun.
Original post by lyrical_lie

Hiya, according the poster who quoted me you can get violife from holland and barretts which is nice, maybe worth a try?

Hello, haha yeah- I saw it afterwards, thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by daydreamer4life
Vitamin B12 -Fortified foods(like soya milk), nutritional yeast, seaweed...

Vitamin D3 - SUNLIGHT

Omega 3 - Seafoods, walnuts, flaxseeds

As i said previously D3 cannot be obtained from the sun.

Also seafood! Thats hypocritical to say the least if you will happily eat murdered fish- are they not animals that feel pain too?
Original post by Snooppuppy420
Yeah, it must of been so annoying when Abraham Lincoln claimed slavery was wrong as well.

Loll! You cannot compare this to slavery, come on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by louieja
its hard to just bring up some stats off the top of your head, but it is true that meat is a way less efficient means of feeding people. this may be slightly wrong but it takes something like 7kg of plant based foods to produce 1kg of beef. so thats 7kg people could be eating, that instead are fed to livestock. "

Original post by louieja
if every one became vegan it would help massively with world hunger. over grazing is a large cause of desertification, which probably leads to people going hungry. also, as livestock are fed grain and soy beans, which could be fed to people insteas, there is a massive amount of food wasted. it takes something like 7kg of grain to produce 1kg of beef, thats 6 kg of food that could have been fed to people. animal agriculture contributes massively to global warming, leading to droughts and floods which lead to hunger. there probably more but i cant just think of all this stuff off the top of my head

Forced veganism is not a viable solution to world hunger.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by louieja
im fully calm, but you are laughing, i made some big long point about how important it is and then you go, yh but steak with a little laughing face next to it. im not having a go, but you were joking about veganism

I got bored of you trying to force me to accept that I should become a vegan and save planet earth.
Original post by StrangeBanana
This, I think, is the main reason vegetarianism/veganism for moral reasons are fundamentally silly.

Why?

I think the morals are sound
Original post by Schrödingers Cat
Why?

I think the morals are sound

The argument is: it is bad/evil/immoral for humans to eat animals, but not bad/evil/immoral for animals to eat other animals.

I think that's flawed.
Reply 252
Original post by louieja
its not his opinion that you are being selfish, its fact, by the definition of the word selfish. what you are doing is putting your own wants before the entire lives of animals and the good of the global environment. all your getting out of it is a nice taste in your mouth, but the cost of that is an entire lifetime of an animal being depressed, scared and in pain, and on top of that your really damaging the environment. that is selfish, its not opinion.

changing to a vegan diet really isnt hard, its not drastic, its just changing stubborn peoples minds thats hard. you say its never going to happen, but if it doesnt global warming will **** up the world, so if it doesnt peolpe are actually going to die because of others being stubborn.

the thing you said about poor people has already been addressed pretty well by that other guy, i think you may have perlied, what about hunters etc.we're not talking about hunters, we're talking about people like you, living in developed countries, who have a choice. also, hunters etc make up a tiny percentage of the amount of meat eaten in the world, its not really important so theres no point in mentioning it.

the economy is not more important than the environment, when global warmings effects a fully being felt people arent going to be glad they saved the economy. any way, the economy will be ok, instead of raising cows and stuff, these people can grow crops instead.

1. By that logic you are being selfish by putting your life before that of the plants you eat. Eating plants damages the environment too; it disrupts food chains, habitats and removes carbon sinks. But you're not about to tell me that you're going to stop eating plants.

Calling someone selfish is always by definition an opinion as it is based on your feelings and there is no such thing as scientific evidence that proves when someone is being selfish. I literally can't believe I'm even having to argue this point

2. I say it's never going to happen because it isn't. That's just a fact. The whole world is never going to up and go vegan no matter how strong your opinion may be on the matter.

3. The point about poor people was NOT addressed well by "the other guy", that person replied based on a limited Western perspective. Other people on this thread have also argued the reasons why poor people will not stop eating meat because one tells them to. I suggest you read those posts.

4. I don't know what perlied means, I'm not being sarcastic, I just genuinely don't.

5. There are more people living in developing countries than developed ones. Way more. So please don't tell me that your argument about switching to vegan solving global warming must only apply to people living in developed countries.

6. Regardless of whether or not the economy is more important than the environment, that doesn't change the fact that the global economy exists and will not allow for everyone to become vegan. It is the very simple concept of demand and supply, I suggest you look it up. I didn't ever say the economy was more important, I just said it would not allow global veganism.

I can't even begin to reply to the part in bold. You clearly know nothing about the economy so I'm not really going to bother.
'Another point, I think these vegan crazy people need to invest their time more in the humans first. There are humans all over the world being treated brutally and killed. But before all that is fixed you want to make sure animals aren't dying? Why not spend that time raising awareness of all the human abuse? Or do you think we, the humans, matter less?'

i commented the above ^ a few hours ago and surprise, surpirse it was completely ignored :smile: well then. CASE DISMISSED, everyone continue to eat whatever they like
Original post by louieja
im fully calm, but you are laughing, i made some big long point about how important it is and then you go, yh but steak with a little laughing face next to it. im not having a go, but you were joking about veganism

The fact that you seem to think everyone is capable of easily becoming a vegan just like that is distressing. Consider those that can't afford to live on a vegan diet that gives them the right nutrition, or those that physically cannot subsist healthily on a vegan diet. Many vegan diets can be harmful, not everyone is suited for them.
Original post by StrangeBanana
The argument is: it is bad/evil/immoral for humans to eat animals, but not bad/evil/immoral for animals to eat other animals.

I think that's flawed.

No, I believe the argument for that is we have the resources to do something different, to make a change. These animals do not therefore it is acceptable. They can't wake up tomorrow and start growing crops etc, whereas we CHOOSE to take this path despite the fact there are other alternatives.

Vegans/vegetarians, I may be wrong so I apologise in advance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GailQ
1. By that logic you are being selfish by putting your life before that of the plants you eat. Eating plants damages the environment too; it disrupts food chains, habitats and removes carbon sinks. But you're not about to tell me that you're going to stop eating plants.

Calling someone selfish is always by definition an opinion as it is based on your feelings and there is no such thing as scientific evidence that proves when someone is being selfish. I literally can't believe I'm even having to argue this point

2. I say it's never going to happen because it isn't. That's just a fact. The whole world is never going to up and go vegan no matter how strong your opinion may be on the matter.

3. The point about poor people was NOT addressed well by "the other guy", that person replied based on a limited Western perspective. Other people on this thread have also argued the reasons why poor people will not stop eating meat because one tells them to. I suggest you read those posts.

4. I don't know what perlied means, I'm not being sarcastic, I just genuinely don't.

5. There are more people living in developing countries than developed ones. Way more. So please don't tell me that your argument about switching to vegan solving global warming must only apply to people living in developed countries.

6. Regardless of whether or not the economy is more important than the environment, that doesn't change the fact that the global economy exists and will not allow for everyone to become vegan. It is the very simple concept of demand and supply, I suggest you look it up. I didn't ever say the economy was more important, I just said it would not allow global veganism.

I can't even begin to reply to the part in bold. You clearly know nothing about the economy so I'm not really going to bother.

Hey, you two- please do not argue over what I wrote. I dont know if you saw my explanation but like I said it was a misunderstanding, if you didn't see it please go and take a look. Its a few pages back. :smile: I genuinely didn't understand the whole concept of this thread, but now I get it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Stone101
'Another point, I think these vegan crazy people need to invest their time more in the humans first. There are humans all over the world being treated brutally and killed. But before all that is fixed you want to make sure animals aren't dying? Why not spend that time raising awareness of all the human abuse? Or do you think we, the humans, matter less?'

i commented the above ^ a few hours ago and surprise, surpirse it was completely ignored :smile: well then. CASE DISMISSED, everyone continue to eat whatever they like

I didn't see this. :smile: GREAT COMMENT. - Genuinely. Its an incredibly valid point, I hope you get a response to it haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 258
Original post by Anon_98
Hey, you two- please do not argue over what I wrote. I dont know if you saw my explanation but like I said it was a misunderstanding, if you didn't see it please go and take a look. Its a few pages back. :smile: I genuinely didn't understand the whole concept of this thread, but now I get it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dw, you're not the "other guy" being referred to. I'm not trying bring other people into it, just replying to what I was quoted on :smile:
Reply 259
Original post by ChickenMadness
Meat doesn't just have protein. It has a bucketload of vitamins and minerals and it's all in one source of food.

And that NFL player is probably super rich and can order everything he needs lol. Vegan diets are expensive if you want to be healthy. ( I go for eggs usually as they're super cheap)

vegan diets arent expensive, im vegan and im pretty poor but i get along fine. vegetables also have all the nutrients you need. and what about the other guys i posted they might not be massively rich

Latest