The Student Room Group

AQA AS Maths C1, C2 and S1B

Hi, guys we could use this thread for revision help and help us put a mark scheme together tomorrow. Feel free to link any questions.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Just gonna do 3 past papers tonight. Core 1 is delightful if you go ahead and learn your stuff.
Reply 2
Has anyone got any quick ways of factorising quadratics where a doesn't = 1 (e.g. 6x^2 - 2x - 8)? It always takes me ages to find the right numbers.
Original post by Charliejb
Has anyone got any quick ways of factorising quadratics where a doesn't = 1 (e.g. 6x^2 - 2x - 8)? It always takes me ages to find the right numbers.

Yes! Would you like a photo of my technique?
Reply 4

I just use the quadratic formula to find one solution and then factorise for the second. For the one you mentioned if it's equal to zero you can half it for the same solutions. 3x^2 -x - 4 becomes much easier to solve because the first bracket must contain 3x and the second x.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by lizard54142
Yes! Would you like a photo of my technique?

That would be very helpful, thanks
Reply 6
Original post by -jordan-
I just use the quadratic formula to find one solution and then factorise for the second. For the one you mentioned if it's equal to zero you can half it for the same solutions. 3x^2 -x - 4 becomes much easier to solve because the first bracket must contain 3x and the second x.

Thanks, I never thought of halving it first.
That would be very helpful, thanks

IMAG0413.jpg

Note I have broken it down into every step here to help people understand, I usually do this in a couple seconds in my head (perhaps writingout the square to the side if it's more complex)!
Reply 8
Original post by lizard54142
IMAG0413.jpg

Note I have broken it down into every step here to help people understand, I usually do this in a couple seconds in my head (perhaps writingout the square to the side if it's more complex)!

It's really nifty! Practise on a couple quadratics :smile:

Just realised I made an error, the first square should be:
3 4
2 2

How embarrassing.. but I hope you get the general idea.
Reply 10

Spoiler

Original post by salihah

Spoiler

You too Salihah

I use this method that I found online somewhere a while back. Excuse the handwriting

Original post by -jordan-
I just use the quadratic formula to find one solution and then factorise for the second.

How did I never think of this?? Thank you so much, you just saved me so much time!!

Good luck everyone!
Reply 14
Wasnt factorising a GCSE topic?
Original post by kas69
Wasnt factorising a GCSE topic?

Yes it is but when you're working with large numbers it can be difficult to find factors quickly (for me anyway, lol)
How was it?
What did everyone get for the gradient/equation of a parallel question?
Original post by Signorina
Yes it is but when you're working with large numbers it can be difficult to find factors quickly (for me anyway, lol)

Same, i find it sticky

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by Signorina

Lol im just joking. Im no maths expert ..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending