The Student Room Group

WJEC English Literature GCSE 18th and 22nd May.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Danielle_16
but i predicted candy :h:

SAME! Last night I wrote a plan of 'How Candy presents society in the 1930s' and that question came up! I literally died of happiness when I opened the booklet. Damn the poetry though -_-
Original post by franm1
thats a good point. do you think you did well overall?

I think I got maybe 7-9 marks on the extract (out of 9 as I only put 9 points down, was running out of time :frown:), I wrote 8 points for the essay but there's no way I'm going to get 20, probably 15-16 if all of them are okay, but I'm just hoping! & for poetry I have absolutely no idea, from what people are saying it just looks like I have grade A answers but maybe I'm wrong :c I'd love to get an A* in English Literature but I can't figure out if I'm going to until Friday.

What about you?
Original post by 10studentlife
Completely forgot to write about Crooks and but I wrote a lot about how he contribues towards the sexism of Curley's Wife, how he is a victim of discrimination and I also mentioned his dog and how he is also discriminated against and because he got 'canned' this could foreshadow what happens to Candy later on in the novel and also about again the american dream and how he is so desperate to escape the ranch, do you think that is enough??

Yeah, as long as you've got enough analysis and speculation in there (because section b) was all about relating Candy to aspects of 1930s American society) you'll be absolutely fine from what you've told me :smile:
Original post by Ruthie2267
Yup. I think that's the general view of us who are doing About A Boy tbh (I say that - it's only you and 10studentlife I've talked to who are doing it, so maybe we're the odd ones out. Somehow I doubt it though)

I also find the plot really, really boring D:

I know loads of people (not on tsr) who hate writing about AAB, so we definitely aren't alone there!
I actually find the plot okay. Personally, its not my sort of thing, but it could have been worse... :s-smilie:
Overall Of Mice and Men essay was good, extract was not. The poetry sucked, like not just sucked but mega sucked. I guess you understand why I was swearing my head off last night. The person who decided to use those poems is 'a god damn tramp' and 'ever'body knew you'd ruin it', you 'rattrap'. Who got it?:wink:
Sooooo.... Who's doing Lord of the Flies or History Boys on Friday?

By the way, has anyone with the android app noticed the app keeps crashing? Really annoying.
I'm pretty sure my class are the only people in the country doing doing pride and prejudice :frown:
Original post by ArcticNeighbour
**** **** ****. How the **** could we get prostitution from bloody flowers? I hate WJEC with all my black ****ing heart. I can wave goodbye to a decent literature grade. ****

TBH!! First no book and now this lol
No one in my year wrote about prostitution it was only after lesson that we googled meanings of lilacs that we realised. Who tf actually has flower knowledge like that though
Original post by ladyrailly
Yeah, as long as you've got enough analysis and speculation in there (because section b) was all about relating Candy to aspects of 1930s American society) you'll be absolutely fine from what you've told me :smile:

I hope so I anaylised the quotations picking out words but I didnt have time to read my answer so I cant really remember a great detail, I'll be happy with a B or above
On the plus side, I wrote about prostitution... But not about poetic devices. I just hope it's enough!
Original post by TarotOfMagic
TBH!! First no book and now this lol
No one in my year wrote about prostitution it was only after lesson that we googled meanings of lilacs that we realised. Who tf actually has flower knowledge like that though

Omg write? WJEC need to get their damn act together. We should be tested on our analytical and evaluative skills, not being able to memorise ****. Loool, not even a florist would come up with that. That is the craziest **** ever. Those poems was so difficult though, have a feeling that it'll being my grade down -_-
Original post by manningA15
I know loads of people (not on tsr) who hate writing about AAB, so we definitely aren't alone there!
I actually find the plot okay. Personally, its not my sort of thing, but it could have been worse... :s-smilie:

I suppose so, our class was given the choice between AAB and 'Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha' and after reading around half of each book, I did prefer AAB!

Any predictions for what the question's will be like?
Original post by joeb1
I'm pretty sure that 20 quotes is more than enough. You could probably get 20/20 with 7/8 quotes tbh.

Well I guess you just stick to what you've been taught. Obviously I'm gonna put at least 20 in when I've been taught all year to do that - but Tbf I do keep hearing there's other ways to do it.
Reply 453
I found the poetry question pretty decent to be honest. It was about nature, which is associated with 'Of Mice and Men', so I was happy about it. Anyway, the question was the effect on 'you', so they can't drop down marks if you interpreted the poems differently, but can drop it if you don't analyse your points.

Candy question was pretty simple. I was expecting a question from either Slim or Candy simply because the examiners didn't focus much on these characters previously. I remembered the quotes and hopefully got around 16-20 marks :smile:

Extract question I struggled with. Usually I like extract questions to be based on 'characters', and hate mood and atmosphere. The extract didn't include anything about it really, it was about Lennie and George eating beans :frown: I was expected to get full marks, but might get 7 or 8 instead.

If I get 17 on the essay question, 8 marks on extract and 14 on poetry I get 39 marks which is good :smile: Hopefully an A.
Original post by georgiataylor
On the plus side, I wrote about prostitution... But not about poetic devices. I just hope it's enough!

Please tell me how you got prostitution? Like damn son, you're poetry skills must be on point. Sharp as a god damn needle. So glad that I never have to analyse another poem or any part of Of Mice and Men ever in my life
Original post by midgetjems_
Do you mean 20 little words? like 'tart' because I thought it was only about 5 longer quotes? Im worried now

Yeah little words, you don't need to put in 20 huge quotes :smile:
Reply 456
I WAS SO HAPPY IT WAS CANDY!!! I did so much last minute revision on him too :smile:) But I don't think I referred enough to the context? I did talk about it after each point but it was always just a sentence or two. Also i think my analysis was pretty weak, as in, I only gave two original interpretations, and a lot of the things I said was just explaining the quote and the intended meanings. There were so many other things I wanted to write about! I only had time to talk about loneliness, discrimination against the old, against the disabled, and dreams. I could've talked about sexism and I'm so annoyed I didn't think of it fast enough. ugh.
Most of the people in my school did 1c and that worries me a lot. I didn't immediately understand 1c and now I do? You could literally talk about all the main themes right?

The extract question was terrible. I had a feeling it'd be mood and atmosphere but still did very bad. I think I made up a bunch of words that didn't really describe the mood or atmosphere.

AND POETRY. DAMN POETRY. They weren't as hard as I thought they'd be but I feel like my interpretation was weak and too simple. Is that okay as long as my analysis on language and atmosphere was thorough?

Anyway, I guess I probably got a strong B. Maybe if I do well in Unit 2 I could scrape an A. If only my teacher gave me that one mark for A* in coursework ;_;

What were last year's grade boundaries?
Reply 457
Original post by ladyrailly
I think I got maybe 7-9 marks on the extract (out of 9 as I only put 9 points down, was running out of time :frown:), I wrote 8 points for the essay but there's no way I'm going to get 20, probably 15-16 if all of them are okay, but I'm just hoping! & for poetry I have absolutely no idea, from what people are saying it just looks like I have grade A answers but maybe I'm wrong :c I'd love to get an A* in English Literature but I can't figure out if I'm going to until Friday.

What about you?

9 points! i only did 3 or 4 :eek: :/ mixed feelings on how ive done tbf, feel that i could have done better for OMAM and i think poetry went ok. From what i wrote today it wont be below a b i dont think, fingers crossed for an a in august! hope you do well and get your a*! what books are you doing on friday?
Original post by jxssamy
You don't need that many quotes! An in-depth analysis of 3 or 4 quotes would gain you far more credit than just dropping in quotes everywhere and essentially just retelling the story.

I never said retell the story, obviously you're right about an I depth analysis but it does have to be backed up well by the text. I can only go off what I've been taught - just in the same way you can only do so. I guess there's many ways of answering the question.
did anyone else write about Candy highlighting the struggle of the American Dream, the horrors of discrimination and how the Great Depression negatively affected the lives of American men and women in the 1930s????

I also came out of the exam really happy because poetry is a weakness of mine and i thought it went well but i said nothing about prostitution!!! I just wrote about how the poet is insinuating nature is more beautiful than our man made world where we're just lost individuals appreciating the wrong things in life???? dear lord

ps whoever was asking about grade boundaries its usually 60% C, 70% B, 80* A, 90% A*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending