The Student Room Group

WJEC English Literature GCSE 18th and 22nd May.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 460
what are the grade boundaries normally like? How many marks for an a?
Original post by ArcticNeighbour
Please tell me how you got prostitution? Like damn son, you're poetry skills must be on point. Sharp as a god damn needle. So glad that I never have to analyse another poem or any part of Of Mice and Men ever in my life

Honestly I don't even know, I ran over on my tkam so I literally had 30 mins for poetry so I really rushed it. I saw something about flesh transaction and love open for all so I made an educated guess but poetry is horrific, I have no poetry skill AT ALL.
Original post by haes
I WAS SO HAPPY IT WAS CANDY!!! I did so much last minute revision on him too :smile:) But I don't think I referred enough to the context? I did talk about it after each point but it was always just a sentence or two. Also i think my analysis was pretty weak, as in, I only gave two original interpretations, and a lot of the things I said was just explaining the quote and the intended meanings. There were so many other things I wanted to write about! I only had time to talk about loneliness, discrimination against the old, against the disabled, and dreams. I could've talked about sexism and I'm so annoyed I didn't think of it fast enough. ugh.
Most of the people in my school did 1c and that worries me a lot. I didn't immediately understand 1c and now I do? You could literally talk about all the main themes right?

The extract question was terrible. I had a feeling it'd be mood and atmosphere but still did very bad. I think I made up a bunch of words that didn't really describe the mood or atmosphere.

AND POETRY. DAMN POETRY. They weren't as hard as I thought they'd be but I feel like my interpretation was weak and too simple. Is that okay as long as my analysis on language and atmosphere was thorough?

Anyway, I guess I probably got a strong B. Maybe if I do well in Unit 2 I could scrape an A. If only my teacher gave me that one mark for A* in coursework ;_;

What were last year's grade boundaries?

We are pretty much on the same boat. I looked at b then c and I was like there is no damn way that I am answering c although it does make sense now, I don't think it would've been as strong for me because I revised candy A LOT. Praise the lord for gut instincts. I hated poetry
I'm lucky in that one of my Friday books is Lord of the Flies, where Simon is pretty much guaranteed to show up.

However, I'm not so certain who will show their ugly face in the A View From The Bridge essay. I'm guessing Marco, but any suggestions?
Original post by RotomGuy
I'm lucky in that one of my Friday books is Lord of the Flies, where Simon is pretty much guaranteed to show up.

However, I'm not so certain who will show their ugly face in the A View From The Bridge essay. I'm guessing Marco, but any suggestions?

how come u think simon will come up?
Original post by georgiataylor
Honestly I don't even know, I ran over on my tkam so I literally had 30 mins for poetry so I really rushed it. I saw something about flesh transaction and love open for all so I made an educated guess but poetry is horrific, I have no poetry skill AT ALL.

omgg! Did you spend all your time on the essay? But wow, I wrote no imagery or anything. But I still need to have a party because I never have to look at another poem again in my life
We are pretty much on the same boat. I looked at b then c and I was like there is no damn way that I am answering c although it does make sense now, I don't think it would've been as strong for me because I revised candy A LOT. Praise the lord for gut instincts. I hated poetry

Literally the same for me - my mind somehow looked at the two questions and decided that b was easier, but looking back on it there were more points to choose from for c. I feel like I did ok though, so here's hoping D:
Original post by franm1
what are the grade boundaries normally like? How many marks for an a?

36 out of 50 tends to be an A, which if you ask me is pretty high for such a demanding subject. 41-42 tends to be an A*
Original post by aqaedexcelwjec
how come u think simon will come up?

He's like Candy in that he's never shown up.
Original post by RotomGuy

Simon is my favourite character, if he comes up I'll be so happy! :ahee:
omgg! Did you spend all your time on the essay? But wow, I wrote no imagery or anything. But I still need to have a party because I never have to look at another poem again in my life

Yes! I didn't realise how awful my time management was! I would agree with you, but I'm doing literature at a level so more poems for me :frown:
Original post by aliceporter
I suppose so, our class was given the choice between AAB and 'Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha' and after reading around half of each book, I did prefer AAB!

Any predictions for what the question's will be like?

I have no idea

There are only 3 past papers for AAB on the WJEC website from what I can see (for Higher that is), and they were:
May 2014 - which character you think changes the most and a question on the theme of family
May 2013 - an empathy question for Marcus and one on the theme of friendship
May 2012 - how Ellie is important to the novel and the changing relationship between Marcus and Fiona

So we could get a character question on Marcus, or Will, or Fiona (are there any other characters that could come up for this?). And then basically any theme that's not family or friendship.
My bet's something to do with Will, simply because there haven't been any questions involving him it seems. Although I thought Slim was going to come up for OMAM today and he didn't so XD
(edited 8 years ago)
Yes! I didn't realise how awful my time management was! I would agree with you, but I'm doing literature at a level so more poems for me :frown:

That happened in my RS exam which I had this afternoon. I was writing and I was all good and chill. Then I look at the time and I only have another 12 minutes to do one other whole section worth 18 marks. Woops...

Oh my goodness, well I will be praying for you. Good luck!
Reply 474
Original post by haes
I WAS SO HAPPY IT WAS CANDY!!! I did so much last minute revision on him too:smile: ) But I don't think I referred enough to the context? I did talk about it after each point but it was always just a sentence or two. Also i think my analysis was pretty weak, as in, I only gave two original interpretations, and a lot of the things I said was just explaining the quote and the intended meanings. There were so many other things I wanted to write about! I only had time to talk about loneliness, discrimination against the old, against the disabled, and dreams. I could've talked about sexism and I'm so annoyed I didn't think of it fast enough. ugh.
Most of the people in my school did 1c and that worries me a lot. I didn't immediately understand 1c and now I do? You could literally talk about all the main themes right?

The extract question was terrible. I had a feeling it'd be mood and atmosphere but still did very bad. I think I made up a bunch of words that didn't really describe the mood or atmosphere.

AND POETRY. DAMN POETRY. They weren't as hard as I thought they'd be but I feel like my interpretation was weak and too simple. Is that okay as long as my analysis on language and atmosphere was thorough?

Anyway, I guess I probably got a strong B. Maybe if I do well in Unit 2 I could scrape an A. If only my teacher gave me that one mark for A* in coursework ;_;

What were last year's grade boundaries?

WJEC's grade boundaries for Lit hasn't changed much.
38 for an A ( for three consecutive years)
41/42 for an A*. (It varies from 41 to 42/43)
Reply 475
36 out of 50 tends to be an A, which if you ask me is pretty high for such a demanding subject. 41-42 tends to be an A*

yeah that is high tbf. Maybe the boundaries will be lower, i know a few in my year were thrown off by not having bullet points. My school emailed the board about it too. How do you think youve done?
That happened in my RS exam which I had this afternoon. I was writing and I was all good and chill. Then I look at the time and I only have another 12 minutes to do one other whole section worth 18 marks. Woops...
oh my god that's awful, did you manage to finish?
Reply 477

are you on aqa for rs?
Original post by aliceporter
I suppose so, our class was given the choice between AAB and 'Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha' and after reading around half of each book, I did prefer AAB!

Any predictions for what the question's will be like?

Wait... does this mean... I have found another Alice? :tongue:
I think we'll get an essay Q on Marcus maybe
Reply 479
Oh dear god I think I must have messed up. I put 3/4 chunky ideas for the OMAM extract but I hated mood and atmosphere! I found it so hard to analyse the 2 of them sitting eating beans. What did everyone else put for this question? I was so happy that the c) question was all on society and that I could talk about any theme so I think I did okay there... I would have liked to have put more original ideas in but I tried to cover a variety of points to show understanding - all with quotes:smile::smile:

The poetry I actually did first and I'm so happy I did! I knew that the poems would be so metaphorical that it would be hard to understand so I just kinda wanted to get them over and done with. Managed to give OMAM section an extra 5mins due to finishing poetry.

On both the poetry and OMAM essays, is it important to put a conclusion at the end? I did for OMAM but not poetry cuz my mind went blank. Overall, I'm not too sure how I did - feel like a solid B if anything. Heroes and Hobson's Choice on Friday!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending