The Student Room Group

Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2015!!!

Scroll to see replies

Has anybody got an interview date for Gibson Dunn yet?
Original post by bman1992
Has anybody got an interview date for Gibson Dunn yet?

My friend is interviewing today.
Would you say that the competivness of training contracts is/should be enough to put someone off pursuing a career as a solicitor

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by oli19919
Would you say that the competivness of training contracts is/should be enough to put someone off pursuing a career as a solicitor

Posted from TSR Mobile

How competitive it is for YOU to get a TC depends on many factors.

If you're Oxbridge and have an interesting backstory/some extra curricular, a TC isn't that hard to get. Same applies to a lesser extent for the likes of LSE and Durham.

The lower down the rankings you go, the more your personal qualities matter.

I wouldn't let competition put you off, just focus on getting good grades at GCSE first.
Original post by MillieXYZ
How competitive it is for YOU to get a TC depends on many factors.

If you're Oxbridge and have an interesting backstory/some extra curricular, a TC isn't that hard to get. Same applies to a lesser extent for the likes of LSE and Durham.

The lower down the rankings you go, the more your personal qualities matter.

I wouldn't let competition put you off, just focus on getting good grades at GCSE first.

Ok thank you, I'm hoping to attend a good RG like Bristol or Warwick, and I have quite a good range of extra curricular (sport, charity, work experience) but the idea of having no guarentee of a good job worries me somewhat

Posted from TSR Mobile
applied for a mayer brown TC ages ago and have heard nothing back. am I to presume it's bad news? or are they just more intent on sorting their vac schemes atm? if anyone could shed some light, would be much appreciated!
Original post by MillieXYZ
My friend is interviewing today.

Without revealing too much, do you know how your friend got on?
Has anyone heard from the GLD about its vacation scheme? I'm not sure how much longer I can go checking my emails every ten minutes!
Original post by Kim2222
Has anyone heard from the GLD about its vacation scheme? I'm not sure how much longer I can go checking my emails every ten minutes!

I'm waiting still to!!!!
Reply 5429
Quite disappointing... got offered a vac scheme but it clashes with my exams and there are no alternative weeks :/ they did say they will still consider me for a TC..just hope they remain interested!
TC at Clyde & Co
Anybody still waiting on VWV? Presuming it must be a PFO by now...
Anyone heard back from Shearman and Sterling re: open day?
Original post by camaieu
Anyone heard back from Shearman and Sterling re: open day?

I haven't either but the deadline for applications doesn't close until 31st may so it will be unlikely to hear back before then

Posted from TSR Mobile
I received a PFO from a large regional firm that read "although we were very interested in your application we are unable to offer you a vacation scheme place. We would like to stress there is no bar for you to apply for a Training Contract". I'm assuming this is a generic PFO that everyone gets.

Has anyone had a similar rejection & then gone on to apply for a TC with any luck? Just a bit confused as if my application isn't good enough for a Vacation Scheme it's definately not good enough for a TC?!
What is Hill Dickinson like as a firm and its competivness, I have a friend who works there

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by oli19919
What is Hill Dickinson like as a firm and its competivness, I have a friend who works there

Posted from TSR Mobile

Liverpool office btw

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5437
Original post by LawStudent30
I received a PFO from a large regional firm that read "although we were very interested in your application we are unable to offer you a vacation scheme place. We would like to stress there is no bar for you to apply for a Training Contract". I'm assuming this is a generic PFO that everyone gets.

Has anyone had a similar rejection & then gone on to apply for a TC with any luck? Just a bit confused as if my application isn't good enough for a Vacation Scheme it's definately not good enough for a TC?!

It basically means that you need to rework your answers to their questions as your form didn't quite meet their standard this time round.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Still haven't heard from GLD re its Summer Vac Scheme - anyone heard anything?!
Original post by Kim2222
Still haven't heard from GLD re its Summer Vac Scheme - anyone heard anything?!

I haven't heard anything either! I applied for the VS back in 2013 and it took them 2 months to send a rejection :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending