The Student Room Group

Riddle

Scroll to see replies

Original post by samboosa0
There is a man in a room who hung himself. Below the man there is water. There are no objects in the room that would have helped the man hang himself except a rope hanging from the ceiling. How did the man get to the rope to hang himself?

Stood on a block of ice to reach the rope, the ice then later melted?
the man doesn't actually kill himself... he just grabs the rope from the ceiling and just hangs there?
Reply 282
Original post by boods8897

correct! guess thats was a slightly easy one

Original post by Bustamove
the man doesn't actually kill himself... he just grabs the rope from the ceiling and just hangs there?

haha no

Wouldn't that be a slow death?

Posted from TSR Mobile
It is round and yellow and fluffy and snirps all day long sitting high in the tree "i am a purple brick, i am a purple brick"

What is that ?
Original post by Ser Alex Toyne
Wouldn't that be a slow death?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe if the Ice is slippery enough he could sort of skate over the edge? Then he wouldn't be on the block anymore but it could still be melting :wink:
Reply 286
Original post by dossedudex
It is round and yellow and fluffy and snirps all day long sitting high in the tree "i am a purple brick, i am a purple brick"

What is that ?

a yellow fluffy bird high on drugs?

What is that ?

A parrot/bird on drugs?! It is sitting 'high' in the tree after all.....

What is that ?

Bird on LSD?

Posted from TSR Mobile
its a red baloon with issues
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
The people are counted by the number of times the counter has seen the counting lever in the up position. What if the counting lever begins in the up position, producing a false positive? Remember, the first inmate to visit the room doesn't know that someone hasn't already been there.

I think the following modification of the previous solution fixes this problem:

Spoiler

The rules of the thread say that we must post a riddle in return. [EDIT: I have modified my riddle to be more interesting.]

The first 20 prisoners managed to escape from the prison, but now the warden has a new test to give to the next 20. He says,
"Tomorrow, you will all be given a hat to wear, each of which is either red or blue. You will not be able to see the colour of your own hat, but you will be able to see all the others. I shall blow my whistle, at which point you must all, simultaneously, shout out a guess as to the colour of your hat. If at least half of you guess correctly, then you will all be freed. If not, then you will all be executed. You are free to communicate now in order to decide on a strategy, but once the hats have been assigned, communication is strictly forbidden."

How can the prisoners guarantee that at least half of them will guess correctly?
(edited 8 years ago)
Are these hard or am i just dumb? :ahee:
Sherlock was sat home one cold winters night, when all of a sudden a rock was thrown at his window.
It crashed through it and glass shattered all over his floor, he stood up he saw three boys running around the corner to hide. They were all brothers, their names were Billy Crimson, Mark Crimson and Paul Crimson.
The next morning Sherlock awoke to a note pinned to the door of 221B which read'? Crimson. He broke your window.' Who should Sherlock ask about the window?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is the random question mark in what the note said a typo? Also is it either the boy's mother or the window repair man? Alternatively is it Billy because the B in '221B' makes the note say 'B.Crimson'?
Original post by theOldBean
Is the random question mark in what the note said a typo? Also is it either the boy's mother or the window repair man? Alternatively is it Billy because the B in '221B' makes the note say 'B.Crimson'?

Nope to all of those. I thought you were gonna have it when I read your very first bit.....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by suudsioee
Are these hard or am i just dumb? :ahee:

I've literally been thinking that. I've only been able to guess the ice block one but that's only because I've heard it before :tongue:
Reply 295
Sherlock was sat home one cold winters night, when all of a sudden a rock was thrown at his window.
It crashed through it and glass shattered all over his floor, he stood up he saw three boys running around the corner to hide. They were all brothers, their names were Billy Crimson, Mark Crimson and Paul Crimson.
The next morning Sherlock awoke to a note pinned to the door of 221B which read'? Crimson. He broke your window.' Who should Sherlock ask about the window?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mark. When you read the note and say out load what it says, it reads 'question Mark Crimson'. :smile:
Original post by kiramay
Mark. When you read the note and say out load what it says, it reads 'question Mark Crimson'. :smile:

Yep :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by theOldBean
I think the following modification of the previous solution fixes this problem:

Spoiler

The rules of the thread say that we must post a riddle in return. [EDIT: I have modified my riddle to be more interesting.]

The first 20 prisoners managed to escape from the prison, but now the warden has a new test to give to the next 20. He says,
"Tomorrow, you will all be given a hat to wear, each of which is either red or blue. You will not be able to see the colour of your own hat, but you will be able to see all the others. I shall blow my whistle, at which point you must all, simultaneously, shout out a guess as to the colour of your hat. If at least half of you guess correctly, then you will all be freed. If not, then you will all be executed. You are free to communicate now in order to decide on a strategy, but once the hats have been assigned, communication is strictly forbidden."

How can the prisoners guarantee that at least half of them will guess correctly?

how much time do they get? is the number of different coloured hats equal?(e.g. 10 blue, 10 red)
when you say communication is forbidden, is it only speaking or all forms of communication? they can still communicate without being caught i guess?

I don't know if it's a guarantee, but they can pair up into twos. Once given the hat, they can use hand signals to signal to their partner whether their hat colour is red or blue.

e.g. signalling to their partner thumbs up for blue, thumbs down for red

but if they want to avoid being caught communication, they can use their eyes I guess?
e.g. close your eyes for 3 seconds then one blink for blue, 2 blink for red...

I have a feeling I may have over thought it.. XD
(edited 8 years ago)
Yehhhhhh ladz!!!
Sherlock is sitting in his house, by a fire. Suddenly a rock is thrown into his house. He runs outside and sees three boys, John Crimson, Mark Crimson and Paul Crimson. The following day, Sherlock receives a notes, '? Crimson. He throw the rock'. Which brother does Sherlock question?

Quite easy

Quick Reply

Latest