The Student Room Group

Official Edexcel S3 thread Wednesday 20 May 2015 Morning [6691]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 680
Please im freaking out here haha
remember guys, there's nothing we can do about what we lost now, we just have to focus on what we can do for the rest of the papers!! :smile: Hopefully the grade boundaries will be low. good luck 2 everyone
Original post by mmms95
remember guys, there's nothing we can do about what we lost now, we just have to focus on what we can do for the rest of the papers!! :smile: Hopefully the grade boundaries will be low. good luck 2 everyone

They need to be super low

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Xin Xang
I wrote something like P(x)=k.A where A is the area of the region since we were told they are proportional. Then using the first to values in the table I found k and using that value of k I found each of the associated probabliities (by calculating each area) and hence found the expected values for each region..

ahhh, I'm still confused! could you kindly provide me with the correct steps? please
Original post by varshanct95
ahhh, I'm still confused! could you kindly provide me with the correct steps? please

So first let

P(x)=K*Area of region

The area of the green region, is 16(pi). And its P(x)=16/100. Hence from that we find our value of k. Then using that value of k, we find the area of the blue region using geomtry. We multiply that area by our value of k to find P(Blue region). We then multiply the probability by 100 to get our expected value.
Original post by Xin Xang
So first let

P(x)=K*Area of region

The area of the green region, is 16(pi). And its P(x)=16/100. Hence from that we find our value of k. Then using that value of k, we find the area of the blue region using geomtry. We multiply that area by our value of k to find P(Blue region). We then multiply the probability by 100 to get our expected value.

So k=1/100(pi). Yes I got that? But how do I calculate the blue region by geometry? Sorry, it probably a very silly question to you,but I just don't seem to get the right answer
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432141710.979858.jpg
To get an A overall, do we need an average of 80 ums across 6 FM modules from A2 and AS or is it just 80 UMS across the 3 A2 FM modules?

i got 261 UMS in yr 12 and feel i am gonna need that 20 odd UMS to balance this out after that disastrous S3 paper! Dropped 15 marks + 3 if worse case scenario so i doubt i got an A !
Sorry it's late, let me know if anything is wrong
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by tazza ma razza
To get an A overall, do we need an average of 80 ums across 6 FM modules from A2 and AS or is it just 80 UMS across the 3 A2 FM modules?

i got 261 UMS in yr 12 and feel i am gonna need that 20 odd UMS to balance this out after that disastrous S3 paper! Dropped 15 marks + 3 if worse case scenario so i doubt i got an A !

It's impossible for you to get an A. You are destined for that U :tongue:
Original post by Gome44

Could you please tell me how you got r=32 and s=19 for question 6b) with each step clearly? Thanks a lot!
Original post by Gome44

Thanks
Many others have said they put 5% for the significance level since it's 5% in each tail but t I put 10% because that is the overall actual level surely..
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Thanks
Many others have said they put 5% for the significance level since it's 5% in each tail but t I put 10% because that is the overall actual level surely..

with 5% at each tail you mean as it is 2 tail test
Thanks

:smile:

Edit: sorry, quoted wrong person
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by tazza ma razza
with 5% at each tail you mean as it is 2 tail test

860 posts and only 3 rep bars hahahahahahaha
Thanks

Yes, it was the only one I was unsure on. It's two tailed so surely it should be 10%
Original post by varshanct95
Could you please tell me how you got r=32 and s=19 for question 6b) with each step clearly? Thanks a lot!

Sorry, I responded but quoted the wrong person, see above :smile:
Original post by Gome44
Yes, it was the only one I was unsure on. It's two tailed so surely it should be 10%

never mind the tails, it's a 90% CI so the significance level is 10%, where do these people think the other 5% is going? 100-90=10%, so there is a 10% chance it is not in that interval, so significance level is 10%
Original post by Bayestheorem
never mind the tails, it's a 90% CI so the significance level is 10%, where do these people think the other 5% is going? 100-90=10%, so there is a 10% chance it is not in that interval, so significance level is 10%

Ah yes, that is so much simpler than what i was thinking
Original post by Gome44
Sorry, I responded but quoted the wrong person, see above :smile:

Thanks a lot! Could please provide the full solution to 6a) as it's worth 9 marks and all the answers here have been so brief? Thankssss :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending