The Student Room Group

AQA AS Level French Unit 1 - 21st May 2015 (AM)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 520
Original post by student0042
We just used the computer block computers, with headphones. (disabled the internet of course).

Would you say 82/110 wiill be A grade boundary is likely?
Original post by naxiv
Would you say 82/110 wiill be A grade boundary is likely?

From previous years, that is probably a high B, but from others' comments I believe this year's exam was a bit harder so it may just be an A. This is pure speculation however just so you know.
Reply 522
Original post by student0042
From previous years, that is probably a high B, but from others' comments I believe this year's exam was a bit harder so it may just be an A. This is pure speculation however just so you know.

I really hope because i really fcuked it up and im good at french. Do you know where i can get the unoff mark scheme
Original post by naxiv
I really hope because i really fcuked it up and im good at french. Do you know where i can get the unoff mark scheme

There isn't an unofficial mark scheme but there are answers scattered throughout this thread.
It was permis because it follows the same pattern as mettre which has the irregular past participle mis.
Original post by CelineBean
So I'm getting the idea everyone found it difficult?

I found that to be a really good paper. I'm an A2 student so any things better than the E I got on the paper last year tbh where I didn't even do the essay..

I did a 4 page essay on sport, however I'm worried as I didnt give an example for every single point and he examples were very brief, I.e. doing park our as a non traditional sport etc. Came out and also realised I made a few words up.. I.e. 'stamine' for stamina, 'traditionnaux' and 'innovative'.

I found the reading to be incredibly easy, though I always get caught out on the V/F/ND questions.

Listening was horrible - tried to put something down for everything but I'm really weak at listening. On the first question, I thought she said 'faire une déclaration de la Mort' not 'de l'amour!' Didn't clock on till after the exam when I'd wrote 'la mort'! D: I also think she said she had to wait for some hours, not two hours however I'm probably wrong. The one on subjects of conflict between parents/kids did my head in too.

I can second what a lot of people have said, dont be afraid to retake! You naturally become better at your essay writing at a2 and pick up more vocab along the way :biggrin: I need a B overall in french and I'm feeling pretty confident after last year!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I retook as well, after having got an E in the paper but an A in the speaking last year. It's my fourth subject so I'll be happy with a B overall tbh. I thought she said a declaration of words, not love, so I put down a monologue :s-smilie: I thought the listening was ridiculously hard tbh, but yeah the reading wasn't too bad, although I didn't realise the subjunctive and unfortunately wrote 'pourra' instead :/
Was it just me, or were the essays asking us to do too much in the time? Like for 'la publicité', asking for techniques and positive/negative influences seemed a bit much! I left myself loads of time, but still didn't do the negative effects part justice.
Original post by sunsri101
Was it just me, or were the essays asking us to do too much in the time? Like for 'la publicité', asking for techniques and positive/negative influences seemed a bit much! I left myself loads of time, but still didn't do the negative effects part justice.

For the sports essay, we had to discuss 1. Advantages of sport 2. Reasons why young people don't do enough sport and 3. Methods of encouraging to encourage young people to do more sport. Usually, the essays are never broken up into three parts but this one was.
Original post by finisher489
For the sports essay, we had to discuss 1. Advantages of sport 2. Reasons why young people don't do enough sport and 3. Methods of encouraging to encourage young people to do more sport. Usually, the essays are never broken up into three parts but this one was.

Exactly, I think the sports and advertising essays asked us to do too much
Reply 529
Exactly, I think the sports and advertising essays asked us to do too much

Original post by finisher489

Whats your opinon on the difficulty on the paper?
What do you think the grade boundaries will be?
Original post by naxiv
Whats your opinon on the difficulty on the paper?
What do you think the grade boundaries will be?

I'm guessing similar boundaries to last year, seeing as they were pretty low anyway
Reply 531
I'm guessing similar boundaries to last year, seeing as they were pretty low anyway

What did you reckon u got?
Original post by naxiv
What did you reckon u got?

I'm pleased I managed to notice most of the traps in the reading and listening, but my essay was not as good as it could have been. Hoping for high 90s (out of 110)
Reply 533

If you dont do a part of the essay, your content mark is restrained to 15marks
Original post by naxiv
If you dont do a part of the essay, your content mark is restrained to 15marks

I did do all parts, just could have/ should have written much better points for the last part
Okay guys, I've gone through the thread and I've put together most of the answers for the listening. So here we have the unofficial mark scheme for the listening section. Please feel free to reply back to my post if I've missed anything out.

Listening

Section One (10 Marks)

1. You must present yourself in the letter
2. You must demonstrate your qualities (or something along the lines of that)
3. CANNOT REMEMBER

In a telephone interview, you might be asked to…

1. Become angry
2. Sing a song
3. Make a declaration of love

1. The recruiters were looking for stereotypes
2. Made her wait for hours
3. Treated her as if she was stupid
4. The interview only lasted for 5 minutes

Section Two (5 Marks)

1. Romance
2. Cartoon
3. Comedy
4. Historical
5. Police Drama

Section Three (14 Marks)

Why are new university students so stressed? Give three details. (In French)

- They have to get used to the larger classes

- They have to deal with the expectations of their parents

- They have to get used to new style of studying

What are the symptoms of stress?

1. Get angry easily
2. Lack of sleep
3. Weight loss
4. CANNOT REMEMBER

Why should you avoid cigarettes?

1. Deprive the body of vitamins
2. They are expensive
3. They cause illnesses

What can you do to reduce stress? Give 4 details.

1. Read a good book
2. Do physical activity
3. Watch a comedy film because laughing raises the morale (I think)

Section Four (6 Marks)

First Guy:

- He doesn't do enough around the house
- Schoolwork

Girl:

- Arguing with your parents can be constructive
- Her parents think she's too inactive

Last guy:

- Arguments at home can be violent
- He wants to leave home
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 536
Original post by MrMusicLTD
Okay guys, I've gone through the thread and I've put together most of the answers for the listening. So here we have the unofficial mark scheme for the listening section. Please feel free to reply back to my post if I've missed anything out.

Listening

Section One (10 Marks)

1. You must present yourself in the letter
2. You must demonstrate your qualities (or something along the lines of that)
3. CANNOT REMEMBER

In a telephone interview, you might be asked to…

1. Become angry
2. Sing a song
3. Make a declaration of love

1. The recruiters were looking for stereotypes
2. Made her wait for hours
3. Treated her as if she was stupid
4. The interview only lasted for 5 minutes

Section Two (5 Marks)

1. Romance
2. Cartoon
3. Comedy
4. Historical
5. Police Drama

Section Three (14 Marks)

Why are new university students so stressed? Give three details. (In French)

- They have to get used to the larger classes

- They have to deal with the expectations of their parents

- They have to get used to new style of studying

What are the symptoms of stress?

1. Get angry easily
2. Lack of sleep
3. Weight loss
4. CANNOT REMEMBER

Why should you avoid cigarettes?

1. Deprive the body of vitamins
2. They are expensive
3. They cause illnesses

What can you do to reduce stress? Give 4 details.

1. Read a good book
2. Do physical activity
3. Watch a comedy film because laughing raises the morale (I think)

Section Four (6 Marks)

First Guy:

- He doesn't do enough around the house
- Schoolwork

Girl:

- Arguing with your parents can be constructive
- Her parents think she's too inactive

Last guy:

- Arguments at home can be violent
- He wants to leave home

Thanks
What about the reading

You should be fine because the question was actually 1) the techniques used by marketing professionals and 2) IN YOUR OPINION does publicity have a positive or negative influence on the public.

Therefore, even if you don't talk about the negative influences at all, you shouldn't be restricted for content. You might be of the opinion that publicity is perfect and thus has no negative influences and as such couldn't be penalised as the question asks for your opinion .
Original post by Rebecca_Kathleen
You should be fine because the question was actually 1) the techniques used by marketing professionals and 2) IN YOUR OPINION does publicity have a positive or negative influence on the public.

Therefore, even if you don't talk about the negative influences at all, you shouldn't be restricted for content. You might be of the opinion that publicity is perfect and thus has no negative influences and as such couldn't be penalised as the question asks for your opinion .

Thanks, I hadn't thought about it like that!
I'm terrified for my result because I found the listening really hard but by the looks of some of the answers others got, I've got at least mark for each question. But I planned the essay really well and then left it until the end. I managed to finish the essay but then after the exam I completely forgot I moved onto the back of the planning sheet and basically I completely forgot to answer the part of the section on how to to combat young people not doing sport. I got advice from my friend after, who also did the paper and is an A grade student and usually correct about most things, and she said it might not be too bad as I may only drop a few marks from the content but I'm still terrified, what happens if I drop something huge like 7 marks. Advice may be needed here, as I really want at least a low B overall!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending