The Student Room Group

How does Maths work?

I want to do just AS Maths.
Is everything just algebra or is there arithmetic crap like percentages and fractions.
Can someone go through P1, P2 and whatever modules there are in AS Maths
what maths course are you going to be doing? Isn't P1 and P2 for pure maths or the international course or something? Im doing C1 C2 and S1 and yes there is lots of algebra. Check out the specification for more info:smile:
Reply 2
Original post by easyaspirsquared
what maths course are you going to be doing? Isn't P1 and P2 for pure maths or the international course or something? Im doing C1 C2 and S1 and yes there is lots of algebra. Check out the specification for more info:smile:

Oh yes sorry, it's C1 C2 S1. My college will be doing OCR. Can you roughly list down topics you can remember? I cant find it on the OCR website

and theres no working out equivalent fractions, percentages and those things right?
(edited 8 years ago)
There are a number of topics across C1 and C2. To see what you'd be studying exactly if you know the exam board you can look up the syllabus online for each of your modules! Some of the things you'll no doubt study will be:

Surds

Indicies

Sequences and series (both arithmetic and geometric)

Some basic geometry - equations of circles

Calculus - differentiate and integration

Trigonometry

Logarithms

And probably more that I've forgotten.

And yes, there will be a lot of algebra!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by valbrechts
Oh yes sorry, it's C1 C2 S1. My college will be doing OCR. Can you roughly list down topics you can remember? I cant find it on the OCR website

and theres no working out equivalent fractions, percentages and those things right?

No, these don't go past GCSE, but they are assumed knowledge for A level!

I'm looking for the OCR syllabus now!
I'm doing the OCR MEI spec, but they're all pretty similar. I am not 100% sure it will be the same for your year because of changes to A Levels (so speak to your teachers about it), but it's a modular course, meaning you sit exams for different modules that cover different topics.

Core modules are essentially 'algebra' - they are mainly Calculus and Trigonometry, but also lots of other maths stuff - 'pure maths'. My A Level consists of 4 core modules.

Stats modules are bs because stats is ugly horrible number crunching stupid stuff with some probability work thrown in (which imo is actually very nice maths). Fortunately, only 1 module is part of my A Level.

Mech modules are nice - they're applied maths, but a lot nicer than stats, and they're really helpful (practically integral to) engineering, and very helpful for Physics A Level too (there's a mechanics module in that). The maths you do involves forces and everything that follows on from that. It's fun, and easy once you grasp what's actually happening.

There are a few other module types, but you're unlikely to do them in A2 Maths. I'd say choose it - it's great fun, and shouldn't be hard if you're at all good at maths :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Duskstar
I'm doing the OCR MEI spec, but they're all pretty similar. I am not 100% sure it will be the same for your year because of changes to A Levels (so speak to your teachers about it), but it's a modular course, meaning you sit exams for different modules that cover different topics.

Core modules are essentially 'algebra' - they are mainly Calculus and Trigonometry, but also lots of other maths stuff - 'pure maths'. My A Level consists of 4 core modules.

Stats modules are bs because stats is ugly horrible number crunching stupid stuff with some probability work thrown in (which imo is actually very nice maths). Fortunately, only 1 module is part of my A Level.

Mech modules are nice - they're applied maths, but a lot nicer than stats, and they're really helpful (practically integral to) engineering, and very helpful for Physics A Level too (there's a mechanics module in that). The maths you do involves forces and everything that follows on from that. It's fun, and easy once you grasp what's actually happening.

There are a few other module types, but you're unlikely to do them in A2 Maths. I'd say choose it - it's great fun, and shouldn't be hard if you're at all good at maths :smile:

Thanks thats helped a lot.
The thing is, we did out Maths GCSE in November and I havent done any Maths since so Ive forgotten loads!
Thanks though! :smile:

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/67746-specification.pdf

More information than you will EVER want on maths A level.
Thanks thats helped a lot.
The thing is, we did out Maths GCSE in November and I havent done any Maths since so Ive forgotten loads!
Thanks though! :smile:

No problem - just do a tiny bit of revision and I'm sure you'll be fine :smile:

If you are troubled by fractions then I'm not sure AS Maths is for you.
If percentages are not to your taste then not sure the stats module will be much fun.
The OCR syllabus can be found in key documents here
http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/as-a-level-gce-mathematics-3890-3892-7890-7892/
The OCR MEI syllabus is here
http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/as-a-level-gce-mathematics-mei-3895-3898-7895-7898/
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TheIrrational
http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/67746-specification.pdf

More information than you will EVER want on maths A level.

Thank you so much :colondollar:
Original post by gdunne42
If you are troubled by equivalent fractions then I'm not sure AS Maths is for you.
If percentages are not to your taste then not sure the stats module will be much fun.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ahah no im not troubled by equivalent fractions. I was just generalising those type of topics. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest