The Student Room Group

0 marks in Year 12 Maths, Should I continue on (really want an A)

So my teacher came and spoke to me and she said that she recommends me dropping A level Maths and do an AS Level instead in year 13. I currently only do 3 subjects. I really want an A*/A in year 13 and I know if I put my mind to it I can do it. Please any advice unless I'm being delusional

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
So my teacher came and spoke to me and she said that she recommends me dropping A level Maths and do an AS Level instead in year 13. I currently only do 3 subjects. I really want an A*/A in year 13 and I know if I put my mind to it I can do it. Please any advice unless I'm being delusional

So you get 0 marks in your end year of year one Maths test? If so, you should drop it as year two gets considerably harder. Can't see how you can get an A, unless you are great at Maths, but for some reason did zero work in year 1, or forgot to turn up for the test?
Reply 2
0 marks out of how many? Considering the fact the jump from year 12 to year 13 maths is much larger than gcse to year 12, keep in mind it’ll only get more difficult.
Original post by gglr
0 marks out of how many? Considering the fact the jump from year 12 to year 13 maths is much larger than gcse to year 12, keep in mind it’ll only get more difficult.

I agree
Reply 4

You actually got zero? That's very difficult to achieve - what went wrong?
Reply 5
Original post by Muttley79
You actually got zero? That's very difficult to achieve - what went wrong?

I got 4
Reply 6
Original post by gglr

I got 4 I was exaggerating in the title I got 4/100

maybe work out your average marks first from all papers that you have done in yr12, and see if the average is around a B/A then decide
Reply 8
Original post by oxfordthrowaway
maybe work out your average marks first from all papers that you have done in yr12, and see if the average is around a B/A then decide

its not a b/a
Reply 9
what do u think is the reason for ur low mark
Reply 10
what do u think is the reason for ur low mark

I don't revise at all
Reply 11

What grade have you been working at during the year?
Reply 12
Original post by Muttley79
What grade have you been working at during the year?

a U
Reply 13
a U

How will you turn this around by September? How hard are you willing to work?
a lot of people tend to exaggerate how hard maths is, if you consistently work hard even during summer you should easil be able to get an A
(edited 10 months ago)
I'd say it's doable if you start taking maths seriously and catch up in summer. If, at the end if the summer holidays, you have not caught up at all, then yes, drop maths.
Original post by billawarra
a lot of people tend to exaggerate how hard maths is, if you consistently work hard even during summer you should easil be able to get an A

But how realistic is it that a student that has not worked through the whole of the 1st year, to suddenly have a change of heart and work solidly through the summer? Do you know anyone that has gone from a U in year 1 to an A in year 2 in Maths?
4/100 is pretty low even for having not revised at all, do you know any maths beyond GCSE? If not, I guess just learn AS maths over the summer, it's really hard to say anything when you've walked into the mock not knowing any of the content.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 18
Original post by _gcx
4/100 is pretty low even for having not revised at all, do you know any maths beyond GCSE? If not, I guess just learn AS maths over the summer, it's really hard to say anything when you've walked into the mock not knowing any of the content.

this is exactly what my teacher said
this is exactly what my teacher said

Would you think about starting again from Yr12? Is Maths worth that? I knew a lot of people who f--ked up and moved to a diff college to start from scratch, actually get their As and now have graduated at Uni's by the end.
My sixth form also trusted certain people start again and repeat the year so they didn't need to move elsewhere. It was weird but some kids actually did that and got the reality check they needed working amongst their younger peers to work hard.
I think 4 out of 100 will take a lot of work tho...a lot

Quick Reply

Latest