The Student Room Group

WJEC English Literature GCSE 18th and 22nd May.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tryrevise
What was it for an A*?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it was 58/68
Original post by maya_jadee
I think it was 58/68

0 hope for me. I'm getting 1/68

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Billy0709
I asked a very similar question and received this answer from 'MissPlaying'. It has helped me massively.

I can give you some help with this. I find Language super easy (especially the reading)

Reading:

1 hour. 4 questions. 15 minutes each max.

Q1: Information retrieval

Read the question, then mark out the section of the text. Read through the text and highlight a minimum of 10 different points in answer to the question. You don't need to then write these out as a plan.

Introduction sentence (E.g "In the article...":wink:

Write out your 10-12 points, using quotations (some examiners are picky) using connectives and accurate SPaG.

Conclusion sentence ("Overall":wink:

Remember you don't need any analysis!

Q2 and Q3: Writers viewpoint/attitude/impression

Read the question then highlight a minimum of 8 different points/quotations to use in answer to the question

There's two ways to do this one.

i) Categorise.

Put your points into three different topics/categories.

Write your answer based on these points (PEA-PEA-PEA-O)

Make sure you have at least 5 analysis sentences (this doesn't need to be too detailed or "zoomed in":wink:

Move from the specific to the overall ways in which the writer creates their viewpoint/attitude/impression

ii) Don't categorise

Just plan your points into a logical (maybe chronological) order.

Write your answer based on these points (PEEA-EAEA-EA-EA-PEEEA-EA-O)

Again, make sure you have at least 5 analysis sentences, and move from the specific to the overall.

Q4: Compare and Contrast

Make sure you have a wide range of points, and that they are clearly organised (if the question gives you subtitles, use them!)

Planning, use the subheadings, and find points for each writer

Example plan:

Spoiler

Use phrases that show compare/contrast (like the poetry in Lit)

You don't need any analysis!

Remember a concluding paragraph to show you're moving from specific to the overall.

Here's an example of an answer that got 10/10 (with the above plan), that I did for my Y11 mocks:

Spoiler

Writing:

1 hour, 2 questions, about 25-30 minutes each (checking time)

For the writing, there a different types:

Reports

Speeches

Articles

Review

Formal/Informal letters

Leaflets

For each one, make sure you write down PALL (Purpose, Audience, Language, Layout) as part of your plan.

If you're stuck on a certain type, ask your English teacher, or try and read some of them.

Overall tips to remember.

PAPA V has flair (Punctuation and sentence structure, Audience and purpose, Paragraphing and structure, A FOREST, Vocabulary, Flair)

A FOREST (Alliteration, Fact, Opinion, Rhetorical Questions, Emotive Language, Statistics, Triplets)

Hope this helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Anyone have Nov wjec lang paper 14

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mystic mauve
I don't know if I did enough to get an A overall for heroes and inspector calls. I chose the question about women in the 20th century and started linking it to shiela and how she contrasts with birling also the historical context but I didn't speak about any other characters in the novel. Will I be marked down for this? I am just so concerned. I need a secure A overall in literature because I am picking it for A levels.

Sorry this is a late reply. But this is exactly what I did. I actually forgot to mention Eva Smith whatsoever and even put in my essay 'There are only two female characters' which I'm sure will loose me a lot of marks. And then, I just talked about Sheila for the whole thing so I'm not very happy with how that went. But, I think my points were valid so I'm hoping it will come out okay. I also need an A to do A-level.
Original post by aliceporter
Sorry this is a late reply. But this is exactly what I did. I actually forgot to mention Eva Smith whatsoever and even put in my essay 'There are only two female characters' which I'm sure will loose me a lot of marks. And then, I just talked about Sheila for the whole thing so I'm not very happy with how that went. But, I think my points were valid so I'm hoping it will come out okay. I also need an A to do A-level.

On theme based questions you are expected to write about all of the characters- if not as many as possible
Original post by 10studentlife
On theme based questions you are expected to write about all of the characters- if not as many as possible

I really only mentioned Shelia and Mrs Birling apart from briefly describing each character (other than Eva Smith's) views on women in my introduction. So does this mean I won't be getting a good mark on that question?

If only someone would have told me that before the exam!
Original post by aliceporter
I really only mentioned Shelia and Mrs Birling apart from briefly describing each character (other than Eva Smith's) views on women in my introduction. So does this mean I won't be getting a good mark on that question?

If only someone would have told me that before the exam!

I only mentioned Sheila and Eva I think 😐 I think as long as the content is plausible then it should be fine👍🏿

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys,

How did you find English Language today?
Original post by gcses2015
Hi guys,

How did you find English Language today?

Pretty good - the person's advice for the reading paper posted earlier was a lifesaver!
Original post by Steliata
Pretty good - the person's advice for the reading paper posted earlier was a lifesaver!

Okay, I didn't finish the reading.. but the speech was good not so much the letter. Do you know what the grade boundries are? I need an A.
Hey,
I think english schools sit different papers to welsh ones..
Im in wales...

I thought today was OK
But harder than my mocks,
Waved good bye to a good grade I think 😠😏
Does anyone know if you get marks for listing details if you run out of time (fir higher tier) on the compare and contrast question?
Original post by littleheron
Does anyone know if you get marks for listing details if you run out of time (fir higher tier) on the compare and contrast question?

you'll probably get some kind of credit
Hello, if I wrote the answers in this format:

"Due to the different quotes-as shown- I would say that towards this

text, there was evidence to assume a particular position towards this

idea.

As shown in the mentioned quotes, It should also be considered that

John was a travesty, and didn't want to stay with Kate."

Will I get the marks for paragraphing? or in other words, will this be considered as paragraphing?
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending