The Student Room Group

Official Edexcel S3 thread Wednesday 20 May 2015 Morning [6691]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dalek1099
I thought it was the hardest Statistics paper I have seen I thought that it made Statistics as hard as it should be for a unit 3 module, where as most of the past papers were easy.The last question had me stumped for a bit and never before I have I seen a question where you had to use first principles in a calculation(usually its just to proof standard results).I thought the confidence interval one was nas as the first part was only 3 marks and you had to unravel it to get the mean of the sample and the standard deviation/square root n and then do the test(although thinking about it I think there was probably a much easier method by using the confidence interval).I am concerned about how they will mark the written bits though(what were you were supposed to write for the discussion on the standard error of the mean? I said it should be higher for staff and children than for staff or children as that takes into account both variances and variances add) as they are worth quite a lot on S3.I wasn't expecting to have to subtract areas on S3(I did it wrong initially and only did the area of one circle instead of the difference).

I do think grade boundaries will be significantly lower as it broke the trend that Statistics is supposed to be easy and was a challenging paper but I did manage to do the paper(timing was quite an issue though I only got to check through up to the start of question 5) and further maths grade boundaries are often higher than they ought to be because the students doing them are very good at maths and can handle virtually everything thrown at them(unless they bring out STEP questions) I do however think A-55 B-48 that is my prediction for the grade boundaries.

I found M3 much harder but it was a typical paper(unlike the unusual statistics paper, though with diagrams and angles not identified making the calculations difficult for someone who doesn't much spacial awareness) so grade boundaries will probably be about low 60s for an A(I predict A-62 B-56) but timing was a major problem with that paper as they asked for integration by parts and trapezium rule both of which consume a lot of time and I barely gave an answer for the last part of question 7 (only had time to write to one significant figure it was that tight my answer was wrong though).

I agree about the S3 boundaries, but I dont think the M3 boundary for an A should be above 60. I think the paper shouldnt have a downgrade, is should have a few point upgrade
Original post by maria_p18
Will be surprising or less surprising?
Also ehat do you think about M2 and S2

I think fp2 will be hard, or maybe just the complex number question will be
idk about m2 or s2
This is my breakdown of the paper, with marks I lost (and I think some others also will) marked with square brackets at the end.

Q1 Bog standard, except maybe less generous for the Spearman (they usually give 5 or 6 marks)

Q2 They're more generous for the hypothesis test (8 marks), but part B could cause problems. Then again, you'd probably still get one mark for mentioning CLT I think. [-1]

Q3 Standard again but part D will cause some problems. [-2]

Q4 Part A: WTF? You'd probably still get a B1 mark for H0: Mu=0.5, H1 Mu=/= 0.5. Part B: Now whether you start part B with 0.5 or the average of the interval they gave you first, I don't know, but similar has been asked before, and ECF method marks would probably still be available even if you used the wrong values. [-2 for part A, maybe -2 for part B]

Q5: Part i was standard and part ii (a, b) were fine, but C and D would be a complete disaster if you've only relied on past papers practice because this was never tested before [-7, doubt you'd get more than 1 method mark for part D if you had no idea what you're doing]

Q6: You're done if you didn't understand that it was uniform but I suppose most of you figured it out by logic. Otherwise the rest of the question should be fine provided you still remember how to do an area of a circle.

So according to my mistakes I lost 14 marks to bring it down to 61. I really hope it's below 60 for an A, although I don't think any S3 paper has gone that low before.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by lecafe88
This is my breakdown of the paper, with marks I lost (and I think some others also will) marked with square brackets at the end.

Q1 Bog standard, except maybe less generous for the Spearman (they usually give 5 or 6 marks)

Q2 They're more generous for the hypothesis test (8 marks), but part B could cause problems. Then again, you'd probably still get one mark for mentioning CLT I think. [-1]

Q3 Standard again but part D will cause some problems. [-2]

Q4 Part A: WTF? You'd probably still get a B1 mark for H0: Mu=0.5, H1 Mu=/= 0.5. Part B: Now whether you start part B with 0.5 or the average of the interval they gave you first, I don't know, but similar has been asked before, and ECF method marks would probably still be available even if you used the wrong values. [-2 for part A, maybe -2 for part B]

Q5: Part i was standard and part ii (a, b) were fine, but C and D would be a complete disaster if you've only relied on past papers practice because this was never tested before [-7, doubt you'd get more than 1 method mark for part D if you had no idea what you're doing]

Q6: You're done if you didn't understand that it was uniform but I suppose most of you figured it out by logic. Otherwise the rest of the question should be fine provided you still remember how to do an area of a circle.

So according to my mistakes I lost 14 marks to bring it down to 61. I really hope it's below 60 for an A, although I don't think any S3 paper has gone that low before.

I'm in very similar territory, I think I got around 60/61, despite previously always getting 72/3/4! I think around 60 will be A. The D1 paper last year was 69 for 100UMS, simply due to an impossible 5 marker. On this paper, the impossible question was 6 marks, and there as other hard stuff too, so I think S3 will possibly be even lower than the D1 boundaries, or similar at least, considering the higher calibre of student sitting S3. Just need to do really well on M2 and or FP2 to hopefully still get an A*!
Ppl, you can't use your s3 to cash in on the normal maths a level right? Has to be further maths? Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DevangPatz50
Ppl, you can't use your s3 to cash in on the normal maths a level right? Has to be further maths? Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile

Only possible combinations for normal maths are either two of M1, S1, D1 or both the 1 and the 2 from the same M, S or D syllabus. S3 can't be in normal maths.
Original post by lecafe88
Only possible combinations for normal maths are either two of M1, S1, D1 or both the 1 and the 2 from the same M, S or D syllabus. S3 can't be in normal maths.

And when the skl gets the grades and they cash in, is it possible to change the modules cashed in for AS maths and kinda 'mix and match' with the A2 modules to get the grades you need for your uni offers??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mix and match with A2 further modules as well??

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think the exam board does it for you in this priority :

A* in single maths with the lowest ums
A* in further maths with the lowest ums
A in further maths with lowest ums
A in further maths..... And so on

They'll always prioritise your single maths grade first, provided that doing so does not jeopardise your grade in further maths. I do think they prioritise A A over A*B though,but don't quote me on that. Ask your school teacher for a complete breakdown.
Reply 849
This is why it is so important to do
C3 and C4 at AS which are A2 modules
and achieve above 90 UMS so you get an early A star at AS
As most offers are based on
A*AA
Once you have that in the bag it is so easy to get 2 A's
Original post by AQUF42
A*AA

Not all schools offer that - my school offers C3 FP1 for the AS year so now C4 is just a doddle as I'm doing FP2 and 3 alongside it. Plus in some tpp unis you may be required to take up three A2s in y13 and achieve 3As in them in your A2 year, effectively excluding your maths A* if you took it at AS.
Original post by AQUF42
A*AA

Worst possible advice unless you're at a private school.

Majority of state schools have a policy to cash it in, so uni's discard the A* and make you get another. Effectively A*A*AA offer.. That's what they've done to me, making what should've been an easy offer very stressful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chughes17
Worst possible advice unless you're at a private school.

Majority of state schools have a policy to cash it in, so uni's discard the A* and make you get another. Effectively A*A*AA offer.. That's what they've done to me, making what should've been an easy offer very stressful.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If they don't cash it in does the A* still count?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mutleybm1996
If they don't cash it in does the A* still count?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah because it'll be cashed in after year 13 instead.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chughes17
Yeah because it'll be cashed in after year 13 instead.

Posted from TSR Mobile

phew!
Reply 855
Can any one give me the link to Solomon paper C?
Can't find it anywhere.
Reply 856
Original post by IH09
Can any one give me the link to Solomon paper C?
Can't find it anywhere.

The exam is over why do you want it?
Original post by Nostr
The exam is over why do you want it?

Probably an early prepared for next year - if 2016's exam was as hard as this you better start revising now! DM
me your email I'll send it through

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 858
Original post by V0ldemort17
Probably an early prepared for next year - if 2016's exam was as hard as this you better start revising now! DM
me your email I'll send it through

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah this year's paper wasn't hard. It was straight up unfair and unbalanced. They probably got a Newby to write the exam. half of the marks were on the last 2 questions, and more than 10 of the available marks were discussion based. Hence it was simply a "hard" unfair paper. No amount of prep could have helped. It was simply a case of luck on the day. ( I finished every single s3 question ever produced and still got rekt by that paper).
Original post by Nostr
Nah this year's paper wasn't hard. It was straight up unfair and unbalanced. They probably got a Newby to write the exam. half of the marks were on the last 2 questions, and more than 10 of the available marks were discussion based. Hence it was simply a "hard" unfair paper. No amount of prep could have helped. It was simply a case of luck on the day. ( I finished every single s3 question ever produced and still got rekt by that paper).

Same - was getting 74s and 75s in timed past papers but hey, life goes on my friend. Onwards and upwards to M2, s2, c3 and c4

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending