The Student Room Group

A2 Biology OCR June 2015 Revision Thread

Scroll to see replies

Guys predictions for f214?
Original post by jessyh1821
you too! i just hope newcastle will accept me with ABB as I'm pretty doubtful of my A in bio haha

That's what I'm hoping, that i'll get accepted to my first choice with ABB instead of the AAB they asked for.
anyone else given up on f215? just cant do it..going through the notes is so boring and I forget after 30 mins :frown:
Anyone care to explain climactic climax to me? The book explains it awfully and it doesn't properly differentiate between that and climax community
(Sorry if this is in the wrong place! First time using this site :wink:)

In f214, I'm totally confused by the whole Nerves topic. I've always thought sodium potassium pumps WERE the voltage gated channels?
So are there:
(1) sodium potassium pumps
(2) voltage gated channels for Na+
(3) voltage gated channels for K+
Or are they all the same thing?
Someone help >.<
Original post by games211
anyone else given up on f215? just cant do it..going through the notes is so boring and I forget after 30 mins :frown:

I know what you mean, im in the exact same position as you - its so horrible learning f215 just cba at all.
Original post by sophiejaggard
(Sorry if this is in the wrong place! First time using this site :wink:)

In f214, I'm totally confused by the whole Nerves topic. I've always thought sodium potassium pumps WERE the voltage gated channels?
So are there:
(1) sodium potassium pumps
(2) voltage gated channels for Na+
(3) voltage gated channels for K+
Or are they all the same thing?
Someone help >.<

They're not quite the same. There are sodium potassium pumps which actively pump the ions to cause the resting potential. There are voltage gated channels for Na+ and voltage gated channels for K+ which are involved during action potentials.
There are also gated sodium channels at sensory receptors which you can think of like "stimulus-gated". E.g. on your skin, when you touch something, those channels open to cause a small depolarisation and eventually, once the threshold level is exceeded, the voltage gated channels open to generate an action potential.
Anyone going for that elusive A* in Bio, or just me? Seems pretty unlikely cuz' of F215! :frown:

Also, does anyone have the F214 paper from June 2014?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Lighfy
Anyone going for that elusive A* in Bio, or just me? Seems pretty unlikely cuz' of F215! :frown:

F215 grade boundaries are pretty low though !!! So still achievable

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lighfy

What UMS do you have so far?
What are the UMS scores overall for each grade for the whole A level?

Just uber scared with F215 because a week ago our class and our teacherwent over a few f215 papers and we were all like, uhhh .-.

So I'm really scared because it's the least revised section that I've done ;___; and we've only recently finished it...
Thought I'd post this here for everyone to see, this is a website on all the past papers SEPARATED into topics. So all respiration exam questions, all photosynthesis questions, homeostasis, etc...

Really useful I think... :smile:

I say make use of this really useful resource!!! :biggrin:

http://biogishumerus.com/category/f214-past-papers/
has anyone got any slight predictions for F214 my teacher is crap and I have received no guide on what to focus a lot on!! so stuffed for this exam :frown:
Original post by icepower
They're not quite the same. There are sodium potassium pumps which actively pump the ions to cause the resting potential. There are voltage gated channels for Na+ and voltage gated channels for K+ which are involved during action potentials.
There are also gated sodium channels at sensory receptors which you can think of like "stimulus-gated". E.g. on your skin, when you touch something, those channels open to cause a small depolarisation and eventually, once the threshold level is exceeded, the voltage gated channels open to generate an action potential.

THANK YOU! This makes so much sense now. You're a life saver. :smile:

Exactly the same as you f215 just puts me to sleep

my least revised for exam and I know I'm gonna regret it :'(
Original post by AsianBeauty
Can someone explain the BAC method for sequencing a genome please ? :smile: thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

A whole genome is cut using restriction enzymes
Fragments placed into bacterial artificial chromosomes (man made plasmids)
BACs then placed into bacteria, each bacteria contains a BAC with a different DNA fragment
Bacteria divides and produces colonies, all the colonies together make the genomic DNA library
DNA extracted from bacterial colonies using same restriction enzymes producing overlapping strands of DNA
Sequenced by chain termination method and put into oder
Original post by Lighfy

the bio tutor has all the 2014 papers
If you limit light intensity - what happens to the amount of TP in the calvin cycle?

RuBP decreases (TP isn't converted to RuBP)
GP increases (as remaining RuBP is still carboxylated)

So TP accumulates? Even though GP can't be converted to TP?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending