Edexcel FP3 June 2015 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Elcor
What do you think you got in FP2?

Posted from TSR Mobile

73/75 or 74

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by luckystar1900
They haven;t asked any challenging vector questions yet... which in a way is scary as they have the potential to be challenging...

Actually, is it just me or do all the units in FP3 have the potential to have super hard questions but nothing too hard has been asked yet.. seems like a bomb ticking haha

Yes I agree. FP3 dives into proper maths and they can make it very very hard. I hope they do as I do well in very hard exams as i make numerical errors only.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 122
Original post by luckystar1900
They haven;t asked any challenging vector questions yet... which in a way is scary as they have the potential to be challenging...

Actually, is it just me or do all the units in FP3 have the potential to have super hard questions but nothing too hard has been asked yet.. seems like a bomb ticking haha

ahh yes i agree. They could come up with something extremely nasty but unprecedented
Reply 123
Original post by Elcor
81 UMS in FP2 would get you an A* :smile:

thankyou for replying. I forgot my exact ums for those modules and was fixated on this idea that i needed 90+ ums for fp2 or fp3 to get my a*. Thanks for clarifying.
Reply 124
Original post by physicsmaths
Yes I agree. FP3 dives into proper maths and they can make it very very hard. I hope they do as I do well in very hard exams as i make numerical errors only.

Posted from TSR Mobile

have you always been really good at math? or do you combine skill with lots of practice?
Original post by rachu
have you always been really good at math? or do you combine skill with lots of practice?

Not sure tbh. I was not that good at maths until Yr 12 then I realised and started to understand stuff and concepts. Some concepts come very quickly to me and understand the whole topic clearly within a day when learning like where solutions to Second order DE's come from and complex numbers whereas other things don't come as clearly. Everything is coupled with hard work. I have also 'developed' ability to problem solve better from problem solving.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 126
Not sure tbh. I was not that good at maths until Yr 12 then I realised and started to understand stuff and concepts. Some concepts come very quickly to me and understand the whole topic clearly within a day when learning like where solutions to Second order DE's come from and complex numbers whereas other things don't come as clearly. Everything is coupled with hard work. I have also 'developed' ability to problem solve better from problem solving.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is interesting. Would you like to become an academic or go into some sort of industry? Have you given it any thought?
Reply 127
Today was my rest day which main l y involved rewatching the good wife. Tomorrow i will start fp3 revision. I also need to get my chem/phy/bio unit 5 revision plan into action.
Original post by rachu
That is interesting. Would you like to become an academic or go into some sort of industry? Have you given it any thought?

Academic. But people say I won't by the time I reach the end of my degree so I don't know tbh hehe.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 129
Academic. But people say I won't by the time I reach the end of my degree so I don't know tbh hehe.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes quite a few people say that but i cant see myself doing anything else. Academic purely for research purposes or do you like teaching as well?
Original post by rachu
Yes quite a few people say that but i cant see myself doing anything else. Academic purely for research purposes or do you like teaching as well?

Research prob

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 131
How often do they ask to draw graphs in FP3?
Is anyone planning on memorising the equations for the tangents/normals to hyperbolae/ellipses?
Original post by Emmi12345
Is anyone planning on memorising the equations for the tangents/normals to hyperbolae/ellipses?

Na

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh good, me neither! If I did, we'd probably end up getting a 'show that' question for that part anyway...
Reply 135
I found this forgotten file (I have not used it since 2010).
I have only answers and no solutions
I have no idea how hard these questions are but I can tell you they are not in order of difficulty.

hopefully it will be of some use
Reply 136
Original post by TeeEm
I found this forgotten file (I have not used it since 2010).
I have only answers and no solutions
I have no idea how hard these questions are but I can tell you they are not in order of difficulty.

hopefully it will be of some use

Hello! I do not understand why the n distinct eigenvectors for a matrix A are orthogonal. Can you please explain ?
Reply 137
Original post by rachu
Hello! I do not understand why the n distinct eigenvectors for a matrix A are orthogonal. Can you please explain ?

their dot product is zero
Reply 138
Original post by TeeEm
their dot product is zero

I understand what orthogonal means. What is don't get is the reason behind the eigenvectors being orthogonal. the 'intuition' behind this, if you will.
Reply 139
Original post by rachu
I understand what orthogonal means. What is don't get is the reason behind the eigenvectors being orthogonal. the 'intuition' behind this, if you will.

YOU NEED TO SPEAK TO A PURIST ... Sorry I do Physically applied/methods
I remember back to my degree says, that if a matrix is symmetric then the eigenvectors have to be orthogonal, but I do remember the proof ...
My apologies.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending