The Student Room Group

A2 Biology OCR June 2015 Revision Thread

Scroll to see replies

So I'm not ready.

#E
Original post by shloke123
Its a nerve connecting the medulla oblongata to the sinoatrial node, it can send and action potential down to the heart causing an increase in the frequency of heart beats. This happens in various situations, e.g. when chemoreceptors detect a low pH in the blood

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can someone go over the control of heart I hope to god this doesn't come up I'm so confused guys 😅😅😅
Anyone tell me how PCR works??? :frown:
Original post by baymax96
Ahhh tysm again!!! So helpful :smile:

Edit: how is there water in the ascending limb if the water is lost by osmosis in the descending limb?

Because the walls of the ascending limb are impermeable to water, so water remains in there no matter what :smile:
At least that's my understanding of it!

Edit: Actually I just re-read what you said, good question! I have no idea, doesn't say in the book :/
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by LA_95
Does anyone think beta oxidation will come up? If so where is the info on what we need to know because I can't find much in the book about it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is that even in the spec?
[QUOTE=emferrer;56700151]Hi,

does a high RQ like carbohydrates indicate more o2 consumed than co2 given off or is it less o2 consumed than given off??

help!
It means less O2. Think of a fraction that is top heavy. The answer should be greater than one or close to one
Original post by ewhittle_
I thought so, but then i saw this ppq http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/63306-question-paper-unit-f214-communication-homeostasis-and-energy.pdf (question 2b), where we would need to know it in more detail

It's not in the spec anymore
Can anyone help me with explaining how ATP isn't pushed out of the glomerulus via ultrafiltration in the liver?? :frown: please
Original post by YouAgain
Pretty sure you have to know the physiological and behavioural adaptations they do whether they are trying to cool down or to conserve heat.

So in endotherms(practically warm blooded animals but don't use that term in the exam - quoted by OCR):

- Sweat glands in skin: If temp is too high endotherms ( an example is us humans), secrete more sweat onto skin, water in sweat eaporates. If tempt too low, less sweat is secreted and les water is evaporated.
- Lungs, mouth and nose: Panting(in dogs for example) increases evaporation of water from lungs, tongue and other moist surfaces. Temp too low, animal does not pant, less water evaporated.
- Hairs on skin: Temp too high hair lies flat providing little insulation and thus more heat is lost. If tempt too low, hairs are raised to trap a layer of insulating air, reducing loss of heat from skin.
- Arterioles leading to capillaries in skin: Temp too high, vasodilation allows more blood into capillaries near the skin surface which allows more heat to be radiated from the skin. Tempt too low, vasoconstriction reduces flow of blood through capillaries near surface of skin, which allows less heat to be radiated.

Behavioural:

- IF too hot, move into shade, hide or burrow, if too cold move into sunlight.
- If too hot orientate body to decrease surface area exposed to sun. if too cold orientate body to increase surface area exposed to sun.
-If too hot remain inactive and spread out limbs to increase surface area. If too cold move about to generate heat in muscles ( except in extreme cold where it is better to keep still and roll into a ball to reduce surface area).

Ectotherms are practically similar (behavioural wise).
It can be found in the OCR biology book pages 8-11.
:smile:

Thank you!
Original post by DaveUncle

-Heat mixture to 95 degrees c
This breaks the hydrogen bonds between the dna strands to form two single stranded dna molecules

-add primers and reduce to 55 degrees c
This allows primers to anneal to either ends of the single stranded dna fragments. Primers are needed cos dna polymerase cannot bind directly to single stranded dna

-Increase to 72 degrees c
Dna polymerase completes the rest of the fragment
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by it's a me, mario
-Heat mixture to 95 degrees c
This breaks the hydrogen bonds between the dna strands to form two single stranded dna molecules

-add primers and reduce to 55 degrees c
This allows primers to anneal to either ends of the single stranded dna fragments. Primers are needed cos dna polymerase cannot bind directly to single stranded dna

-Increase to 75 degrees c
Dna polymerase completes the rest of the fragment
Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much!!! hope this comes up tomorrow!
Reply 1872
Thank you so much!!! hope this comes up tomorrow!

it comes up in f215 not f214
[QUOTE=DaveUncle;56713865]Anyone tell me how PCR works??? :frown:
-You use a restriction enzyme to cut the section of dna you want to amplify.
-make a mixture of the DNA sample, DNA polymerase and free nucleotides.
-heat the mixture to 95c to denature the sample of DNA.
-Add primer.
-reduce temp to all primer anneal to the sample
-now DNA polymerase can start extending the chain (raise temp to 72c-optimum temp for taq polymerase)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by WBN
it comes up in f215 not f214

Omfg you're joking..... including stuff like gene therapy and electrophoresis??

So in your solution. You have your strand of DNA, primers that are complementary to a target region, DNA polymerase and DNA nucleotides.

Heat to 95 degrees to break e hydrogen bonds between the two DNA strands. Denature stage
Reduce temperature to 60 degrees so that primers will anneal to the target region
Heat to 72 degrees so that dna polymerase will line up free nucleotides along the primer. Both sense and anti sense strands act as template and you double the amount of dna strands you get per cycle.
What's the vagus nerve and what does it do???

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's all f215

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay, something I'm really confused about, and I'm sure I'm not alone on this one. So the Electron Transport Chain is used during Non-Cyclic Phosphorylation, where light energy excites an e- which moves along the electron carriers losing energy.
But it's also used in animals with Respiration, during Oxidative Phosphorylation? What're the differences between the two? It's so confusing!

That's all f215

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending